Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think it's possible to be skeptical about Armstrong's claims regarding testing and still feel that relying on the testimony of the likes of Hamilton (who has his own interests) and cyclists offered various deals by the USADA is problematic. At this point, there's really nobody I'd consider believable on either side. I realize that the USADA is not held to the same standards that govern regular legal proceedings, but I am not very impressed with their handling of this case, and I suspect if they had any strong scientific proof, it would be on every US website by now - not just as a leak to someone from Stade 2.

A lot of the people who bought into the yellow wristband stuff did so because they needed inspiration at a difficult time in their lives, so it's not surprising that they would like to hold on to that belief.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Please. I don't own a stitch of inspirational anything, much less an ugly yellow wristband. :rofl: It's possible that he both doped AND the USADA can't prove it and is overzealous in their pursuit of him.

IIRC, the anti-doping agencies all state that their criteria for banning/stripping of results is positive drug tests, NOT testimony from other riders. This isn't a court of law. They have rules and they appear to not be following their own rules just for the sake of taking down the "Big Dog" of cycling. It has a whiff of witchhunt to me.

If USADA really does have positive samples, Travis Tygart would be screaming it from the hills. Retested under the authority of an organization that is bending over backwards to vilify Armstrong? I've read that USADA has a statute of limitations on retesting, and they have ignored it in retesting his samples. Why?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-armstrong-could-have-retained-five-tour-wins

WTF? If he co-operates, we will stick to our rules. But since he said shove it, I'm going for the whole enchilada? Come on. This is ridiculous.

3. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

There was an attempt to retest some early samples a few years ago, and the UCI report determined that the samples had not been maintained in a manner sufficient to ensure that there wasn't tampering. I suspect we'll hear similar arguments if such retesting did occur.

WADA has definitely maintained that it doesn't need a positive test in order to seek sanctions - that is sort of the whole aim of the blood passports - to detect irregularities that don't trigger an adverse result. The actions against Jan Ullrich and most of the people involved with Operation Puerto were based on evidence found at the doctor's office and not a positive test.

But in other news, Contador had an impressive day at the Vuelta with some very clever tactics from Riis (and help from an old Astana buddy), and has taken a big stage win and the leader's jersey at the Vuelta.

5. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

The Vuelta is being so exciting! I'm loving it.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Agreed. The Tour is always fun just because of the spectacle of it all, but the Vuelta has had some really exciting racing this year. I loved how Riis had the other riders drop back to interfere with the chase - classic Riis!

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Garmin's DS Jonathan Vaughters was participating in a forum discussion on Cyclingnews and "outed" Danielson, VandeVelde and Zabriskie as former dopers by name. Article discussing the postings is on Cyclingnews

Vaughters says he just got caught up in the debate, but others suspect this was a calculated move to get the news out there before the USADA releases details from the Armstrong investigation. Although Vaughters got a self-serving article in the NY Times for his confession and his riders just get a post on a forum.

For those who want more details about the mechanics of blood doping, this interview from a few months ago with Michael Ashenden is intersting although a bit technical.

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

9. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I was worried when I saw a tweet referring to a "severe concussion" - it's almost the end of the season. He should be very careful and not risk another injury while he's still recovering.

11. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I feel like Tyler has been excessively accident prone the last two years. It seems like he's had so many injuries.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

13. Theatregirl1122

I was totally confused by that. If there was going to be a TTT, shouldn't it have been by country?

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

That's what I thought, but it is hard because many countries get only 1 or 3 entries so they couldn't even do a team. So as much as I love a TTT and the drama that ensues, it seemed like a pretty silly race to me.

Funny exchange between Levi Leipheimer and Fat Cyclist on twitter, and a challenge for a combined bike race/donut eating challenge.

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Congrats to Tony Martin on defending his time trial world championships, and to Taylor Phinney for getting the silver.

But in sad news, Euskatel Euskadi rider Victor Cabedo was killed after being hit by a car while out training. Terribly sad.

16. Theatregirl1122

I'm :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: for Tony to defend his Rainbow Jersey. He's had a very rough year so I'm glad it ended so well for him!

I'm also totally excited for Taylor. Not 4th! I'm so torn between him and Tony these days. I kept flipping back and forth on who I wanted to win. It's a bad plan to have two of your favorite riders be ITTers.

I didn't hear about Victor Cabedo. How awful!

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Or as Phil Liggett used to pronounce it: Leakygas.

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Well that's one way for Gilbert to turn his rather lackluster season around. And he seems to have a message on twitter for all the people who were questioning his results this season:

20. Theatregirl1122

I'm sad Cav's year in rainbow is over. Now can we get him a team that will ride for him? I found the Team Sky experiment exhausting. :lol:

Good for Gilbert! Apparently he was just... saving all his winning for the end of the season! He was concentrating his winning. It's funny because, last year on a course like this, everyone would have predicted Gilbert to win without having to think about it. It really is his kind of course.

21. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I'm very happy for Valverde. He did great in the World Champs.
    Also thrilled for Gilbert. :cool:

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

More details on the case against Lance, and Hincapie issues a statement confirming he doped and that he testified to the UCI about it.

24. Theatregirl1122

It was always a stretch to believe that Lance Armstrong won a 7 TDF titles in an era where everyone was doping without doing it himself. But that isn't evidence in a court and Hamilton and Landis were hardly credible witnesses. But George has nothing to gain here and only his own records to lose. So, if there was anyone still doubting Armstrong's guilt, I think that is over now.

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Jeez, by the time they get through with this, the only person left standing is going to be the third domestique who was too low on the food chain to be let in on the doping.

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  28. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

In a move that surprises nobody, Bruyneel is out at Radio Shack after the release of the investigation info.

30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Last night on Australian TV there was a investigative journalist program about the whole Lance Armstrong drug situation. It certainly is not looking good for Armstrong. They went into the details of the samples from as far back as 1999 which have since been retested and proven positive. Plus interviewed those who have also testified under oath to evidence that Armstrong did in fact use drugs.

At the end of the day someone is going to be proven to lying under oath which then raises another kettle of fish.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.