Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Oh Canada! Ryder wins the Giro with a tension filled final time trial - surprisingly close ride by JRod who holds onto 2nd (and takes the points jersey from Cav by one point).

And proving crazy attacks aren't so crazy after all, Thomas de Gendt rounds out the podium!

Congrats to Garmin on their first GT win as a team!

2. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Woo Hoo. Just turned on TV in time to watch Ryder's ride. Well done!

3. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Good for Ryder! It was definitely an exciting finish for Rodriguez. I always feel bad for a guy who holds the jersey for so long but loses it in the TT. But Ryder really has been great and had to do a LOT of the work over the last week.

I kind of hate the way the points jersey works in the Giro. Sucks for Cav to ride all the way to Milan and suffer through all those mountains and end up losing the jersey to a points guy, but it is what it is.

It's interesting to see Vande Velde riding for Ryder. I feel like it wasn't that long ago that he was consider to be the GC hope for Garmin (2008 when he finished 4th, I suppose?) But he's had a lot of bad luck in Grand Tours since then and Ryder is obviously prepared.

4. ElizabethAnne

ElizabethAnne Member

Wow! This is an amazing accomplishment for Ryder and Canadian cycling! I hope the sports press here give him the recognition it deserves. I wish I had been able to see the final day on TV.

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

such a great end to the Giro.. loved the time trial it was so exciting.. and yeah for us in Canada.. First time we have won this with Ryder! Sad the Italians didn't have anyone on the podium :(

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

US championships over the weekend. Zabriskie retains the time trial championship, and Liquigas' Timmy Duggan wins the road race. Very happy for a perennial domestique like Timmy who overcame a serious head injury that required major rehab to get a big win like this. Very well deserved, and nice payback for Liquigas's co-sponsor Cannondale who is the main reason Duggan is on the Liqui team.

8. Theatregirl1122

Weird timing for the US championships. Are they always this close to the Giro? Did any of the guys who road the Giro participate? I know Taylor Phinney didn't since he was cheering Tejay on via twitter.

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I think they used to have the Pro Championships later in the season, but then people complained that a number of the top riders had basically stopped for the season or were no longer in top form, so they moved them up, but then had to deal with race conflicts. I read they tried to match it up with the Tour of Cali since many of the top US riders would include that in their program and would be in the states.

Blazing Saddle's Giro "awards" - including the easy to predict "best ryder" award. :lol:

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

11. Theatregirl1122

:wuzrobbed. Not unexpected but :wuzrobbed.

12. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Andy Schleck is out of the Tour de France due to injury:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-confirms-he-will-miss-tour-de-france

Without Schleck the Younger and Alberto Contador, I guess the tour will come down to a battle between Cadel Evans, possibly Bradley Wiggins, and possibly Schleck the Elder although his time trialing is lousy.

The sprinters' stages might be more entertaining this year, though....Cavendish may have some serious competition from Peter Sagan who has been on fire this year.

Also....Fabian Cancellara. :swoon: That is all.

13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

15. Theatregirl1122

Not surprised they didn't bring Leipheimer but the London road course is essentially a sprint, right? I'm a bit surprised they didn't bring George to ride support for that. But he has said this is his last year.

It really, really sucks that Andy is out of the tour. It wasn't a great profile for him but, having been awarded the title for 2010, you have to imagine he really wanted to come and actually win one outright even more than usual this year. What a poorly timed injury.

With all the doping control they do in cycling, I really don't like convicting anyone without a positive test. Especially if they are going to hang this on the testimony of someone with the credibility of Floyd Landis. I get that other people will testify and I think he is probably guilty but basically EVERYONE at that time was guilty. So they strip his titles and give them to other people, including Jan Ullrich who left the sport because of doping, who were also probably doing it but no one cares to investigate them this much. For me, I just don't like it. I don't think they should strip titles this far after the fact without a positive test.

Andy being out and the Lance thing are making me feel a bit :blah: about the tour this year. I'm sure I will be more interested once it is actually on.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  16. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Heh....Timmy, Tyler, Taylor, and Tejay. And Chris.

Surprised they didn't pick Levi for the time trial....he's still pretty good at that.

I'm still hoping that Old Man Horner gets to go to the TdF, now that Andy Schleck is out. The way he left last year's tour was pretty scary.

17. 4rkidz

18. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Supposedly Levi, George, Vande Velde and Zabriskie all indicated they didn't want to be considered. However, there's lots of speculation that with the Lance charges coming down, the USOC didn't want a lot of the former Postal/Disco riders on the team.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  20. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Here's the dumb legal question I've had for a couple of weeks. How can a U.S. agency strip an athlete of titles won in another country?

Of course, I'm sure France would gladly comply in this case :p

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wasn't sure either. I thought it might be just a lazy way to report that if the USADA finds him guilty, then the tour would strip the titles, but maybe they can rule that he wasn't eligible to be competing then.

IIRC, the Spanish federation and CAS stripped Contador of his title, but CAS does have a wider jurisdiction.

I assume if they strip him, they'd just leave them titles empty because it would seem rather odd to move Ullrich, Basso, Valverde and other podium finishers of the era up a spot.

22. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Lance Armstrong Files Suit Against the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency ‘Kangaroo Court’

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/07/lanc...st-the-u-s-anti-doping-agency-kangaroo-court/

Especially since Ullrich and Basso have had their own issues with the same subject. :shuffle:

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Armstrong's suit dismissed in one day, although he intends to refile. From the NY Times sportswriter on twitter, Juliet Macur:

24. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Miaow. That judge rocks! :respec:

Couldn't find the original link for the NY Times, but it's syndicated below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0710/1224319765045.html

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

26. b-man

b-man Active Member

Agree with you. Also as Garden Kitty noted, a US Agency decides they can strip an Italian doctor and a Spanish doctor of eligibility for something they did outside the US?? I don't know a lot about cycling organization, but shouldn't that action be up to the individual country federations or the UCI?

27. 4rkidz

what is with all the flat tires today at the summit of the pyranees? Has someone thrown something onto the road or what?? Even Wiggans with a flat tire..

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I missed the stage, but from what I've read, yes - someone through large tacks on the road.

ETA: An article about the tacks

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  29. 4rkidz

apparently this used to happen a lot in the tour - many years ago before the war especially.. how interesting.. hope it doesn't happen again - but was nice to see the sportsmanship..:)

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo