Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Away from the Giro for a sec, Taylor Phinney won the prologue of the Fleche du Sud and still has the leader's jersey after the second day. The video quality isn't very good, but if you ever wondered what's its like to be in the chase car of a time trial, here it is.

SORT OF SPOILERS BELOW

Today was amazing. Some people did better than expected (Garzelli, Menchov, DiLuca) and some did worse (Mick Rogers, Basso), and some did about what they expected (Levi). It certainly sets up an interesting second half of the race with three more mountain top finishes and a shorter, but traditional flatter ITT on the last day.

DiLuca gave it his all

DiLuca in the time trial suit

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

DiLuca, Leipheimer or anyone else needs to take the maglia rosa from Menchov ASAP! Menchov is wearing the maglia rosa with his regular blue and orange Rabobank shorts.:eek: Such a fashion travesty cannot be allowed in the Centennial Giro where the maglia rosa was specially designed by Dolce and Gabbana. He's lucky the tifosi haven't knocked him off his bike and stripped the jersey from his back.

SPOILERS:

Ale-jet and Tyler Farrar continue to exchange words about who pushed whom at the line, and who blocked whom. Which all seems sort of silly since they're both behind Cav recently. Maybe they should figure out how to beat Cav instead of fighting for his wheel. Although Cav is likely packing it in after today's stage since there aren't that many more sprint stages and he's too far out to get the maglia cicliamino. He's said he'll talk with management tonight, but it's 80% likely his Giro is over. Convenient too, since this stage went pretty near his Italian residence.

For the weekend, Saturday and Sunday present stages that aren't as steep as the biggest mountain stages but they have lots of good sized climbs that will make all the GC contenders nervous. These are both days that shouldn't make a big difference in the race, but have the promise to be very unpredictable. Monday is more climbing, this time with steeper, narrower roads and it's followed by a rest day, so no reason not to go all out. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are the last big mountain stages that should help shake out the GC.

ETA:
    Paul Sherwen's proverb of the day: When the elephants fight it is the grass that suffers.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Cav and Pozzato were both no starts today, but in the most important news (this is the Giro after all), Menchov had new shorts today. The same Rabobank design, but they used pink side panels instead of orange. I actually liked the look, and it's more modest than than all pink.

Also funny to see Lance handing off a water bottle to Levi. :lol:

SPOILER:

Not good for Levi to lose some seconds on a relatively small climb. It wasn't much time, but at this stage little things count, and he's not likely to make big gains on the mountain stages or the remaining ITT which is only 14 KM long.

Good for Menchov to get through another day without any trouble. Luckily (for Menchov) the breakaway eliminated DiLuca's chance at any time bonuses on the stage.

ETA: Menchov changed back to his regular shorts for the podium presentation - my eyes are bleeding!

Edited again
    In the stage summary on the Astana site, Johan discusses Lance the bottle carrier:

:lol:

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Mick Rogers stopped by the Astana bus for a quick interview with Levi and Lance

Ivan's (in)famous sister Elisa was handing out drinks today

Lance and Zabriskie chatting at the start

Meanwhile over in Spain, Valverde continues to race because the UCI hasn't yet made Italy's ban worldwide, and Valverde won Cataluyna

Look, Menchov can smile (sort of)

SPOILER
    Interesting day today, although it ended up not counting for much in the overall. Ivan made it exciting for a bit, and DiLuca is always up for some aggressive riding, but Menchov kept everything in control.

Lots of discussion about why Cervelo called back their rider in the break when it looked like he had a good chance to win the stage, and then the rider didn't even fall back to the chase group. The DS gives his side of the story here.

Edited to add:

DiLuca being serious on the podium

DiLuca laughing because apparently he threw his bouquet to the crowd, but it got stuck in the trees

NY Times Article focusing on Armstrong and how even as a domestique he's getting more attention than Levi

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Ever wonder how to kill time while waiting for the peloton? One suggestion - dress up in medieval jester costumes and chase geese down the road

SPOILERS

Bad day at the office for Astana. Popo looked set to win the stage, but pops at the end to the surging GC contenders. Sastre shows his TdF win was no fluke with a day of great climbing after having been quiet most of the race so far. Poor Levi pops off the podium losing almost 3 minutes on the final climb. Menchov was only following DiLuca today and he managed to cover DiLuca's various attacks.

Tomorrow is a rest day, which means I might actually get some work done Tuesday morning.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  7. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

Excellent video- thanks for posting. Jens!

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

This seems like an interesting idea - a Tour de France for French prisoners :confused:

Maybe "escape" wasn't the best word to use under the circumstances.

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

No spoilers, but the Giro keeps it exciting to the last minute!

SPOILERS: The winner reacts

not about to give up

that's got to hurt

Nice backdrop for a podium

And Taylor Phinney won the U23 Paris- Roubaix :cheer: Apparently the first American to ever win.

Edited to add:

You don't need to speak Dutch to appreciate the emotion in this clip. Let it play through, and at about 1:30 it shows part of the Rabobank team watching the last part of Menchov's time trial ride. Click on the clip that says "Raborenners zien Mentsjov vallen" from the clips on the right if it doesn't come up with that clip in the player.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

13. lash

lash New Member

Universal Sports is re-running tour of Basque Counry and the Giro if you misse any of it. I missed stage 16-17 so I'm hoping to catch them. Yeah, I missed Blochouse!!!

Next Up! Contador Primed for Dauphine

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Big surprise - more doping news.

Katusha's Toni Colom has tested positive and has been provisionally suspended. Colom is shocked by such news and questions the testing protocol and some "threatening phone calls" he claims to have received.

Meanwhile, in typical pre-tour news, the UCI has announced that they will announce names of riders who have raised flags under the biological passport to the riders and the teams next week. In his normal ambiguous style, McQuaid has said the UCI will start proceedings, but then said that they're relying on the teams to "take action". Any UCI proceedings based on the passport and not a positive test is sure to find it's way to CAS eventually.

Kohl, meanwhile, says the passport just gave the riders blood values to target and helped doping protocols, and throws in for good measure "everyone is doing it" .

Meanwhile, the Dauphine ITT is going on today, giving another chance for an early Alberto/Cadel comparison. Tomorrow the race visits Mt Ventoux for some fun climbing and scenic views.

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Lance's articulate twitter response to LeMond's latest presentation on the state of cycling

:rofl:

LeMond makes some valid points, but he sometimes comes across as fixated on Lance, and that's not helping the rest of his message . I'm going off to eat some hater-tots now.

And how annoyed are the Dauphine organizers that Valv-Piti is in yellow. And did Cadel really expect Contador to chase down Valverde for him? But it was cool of Valverde to let Szmyd have the stage win, even though he had to wait and let him catch up and Szmyd sort of voided out. :lol:

From Cyclingnews:

And I love the surreal, barren scenery on the top of Mt Ventoux. It's definitely getting me in the mood for the TdF. Tomorrow, Briançon.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

20. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

ouch! what a great shot.

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Armstong won the Nevada City Classic, a fun local crit race that he, Levi and Chris entered for a TdF warmup and to bring some attention to a revived US race. Not sure that beating up on some local racers is really TdF training, but the race organizers were thrilled to have the Astana trio there getting coverage. (Reportedly there were 12 satellite trucks at the race, including ESPN, CNN and Fox News). And kudos to Lance because crit stlye racing was never really his strong suit. Apparently Greg LeMond is the youngest winner of the race, and Lance is now the oldest. :lol:

Here's Horner's blog about the race.

And Cancellara is showing his health problems seem to be improving winning the final stage of the Tour of Switzerland, and the overall GC. Any chance to see Cance in a time trial kit is a good thing. :) But Cance showed surprising climbing power in this race, staying with the lead group on a number of the mountain stages. He's coming into form at just the right time.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  23. lash

lash New Member

Fabian :swoon:

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I forget whether I posted this one. from the TdS ;)

Close up

By the way, this tweet from Cadel Evans's wife is really more than I need to know:
    And Columbia signed promising US rider Tejay Van Garderen for next year. He's currently with Rabo's Continental team. Great opportunity for him!

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

26. lash

lash New Member

She rocks. Gives me hope!

I know this is mostly elite road racing but....

USA Junior Track Nationals are going to be at the LA Velodrome July 2-5

The races need volunteers (I will be there) and even if you can't volunteer come watch if you get a chance. These kids will be representing our country at the Junior and Senior World Championships and probably the next Olympics as well.

Gotta say these kids are fast. I got my ass handed to me by a bunch of them last week. :p

It's fun, face and exciting racing :D Would be cool to meet some FSUers there

Elite Nats are also at the LA Velodrome but not until later in the year.

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sounds like fun. I'd definitely go if I still lived in LA

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Blood, Sweat and Gears, a documentary on Garmin-Slipstream, airs on the Sundance Channel this Monday, with repeat airings during July.

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

30. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

ach- I'd volunteer, but I'm writing this from Cambodia. I'd love to meet up sometime. perhaps if I ever decide to try my hand at track cycling.