Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

No spoilers, but the Giro keeps it exciting to the last minute!

SPOILERS: The winner reacts

not about to give up

that's got to hurt

Nice backdrop for a podium

And Taylor Phinney won the U23 Paris- Roubaix :cheer: Apparently the first American to ever win.

Edited to add:

You don't need to speak Dutch to appreciate the emotion in this clip. Let it play through, and at about 1:30 it shows part of the Rabobank team watching the last part of Menchov's time trial ride. Click on the clip that says "Raborenners zien Mentsjov vallen" from the clips on the right if it doesn't come up with that clip in the player.
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

3. lash

lash New Member

Universal Sports is re-running tour of Basque Counry and the Giro if you misse any of it. I missed stage 16-17 so I'm hoping to catch them. Yeah, I missed Blochouse!!!

Next Up! Contador Primed for Dauphine
  4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Big surprise - more doping news.

Katusha's Toni Colom has tested positive and has been provisionally suspended. Colom is shocked by such news and questions the testing protocol and some "threatening phone calls" he claims to have received.

Meanwhile, in typical pre-tour news, the UCI has announced that they will announce names of riders who have raised flags under the biological passport to the riders and the teams next week. In his normal ambiguous style, McQuaid has said the UCI will start proceedings, but then said that they're relying on the teams to "take action". Any UCI proceedings based on the passport and not a positive test is sure to find it's way to CAS eventually.

Kohl, meanwhile, says the passport just gave the riders blood values to target and helped doping protocols, and throws in for good measure "everyone is doing it" .

Meanwhile, the Dauphine ITT is going on today, giving another chance for an early Alberto/Cadel comparison. Tomorrow the race visits Mt Ventoux for some fun climbing and scenic views.
  8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Lance's articulate twitter response to LeMond's latest presentation on the state of cycling

:rofl:

LeMond makes some valid points, but he sometimes comes across as fixated on Lance, and that's not helping the rest of his message . I'm going off to eat some hater-tots now.

And how annoyed are the Dauphine organizers that Valv-Piti is in yellow. And did Cadel really expect Contador to chase down Valverde for him? But it was cool of Valverde to let Szmyd have the stage win, even though he had to wait and let him catch up and Szmyd sort of voided out. :lol:

From Cyclingnews:

And I love the surreal, barren scenery on the top of Mt Ventoux. It's definitely getting me in the mood for the TdF. Tomorrow, Briançon.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

10. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

ouch! what a great shot.
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Armstong won the Nevada City Classic, a fun local crit race that he, Levi and Chris entered for a TdF warmup and to bring some attention to a revived US race. Not sure that beating up on some local racers is really TdF training, but the race organizers were thrilled to have the Astana trio there getting coverage. (Reportedly there were 12 satellite trucks at the race, including ESPN, CNN and Fox News). And kudos to Lance because crit stlye racing was never really his strong suit. Apparently Greg LeMond is the youngest winner of the race, and Lance is now the oldest. :lol:

Here's Horner's blog about the race.

And Cancellara is showing his health problems seem to be improving winning the final stage of the Tour of Switzerland, and the overall GC. Any chance to see Cance in a time trial kit is a good thing. :) But Cance showed surprising climbing power in this race, staying with the lead group on a number of the mountain stages. He's coming into form at just the right time.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  13. lash

lash New Member

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I forget whether I posted this one. from the TdS ;)

Close up

By the way, this tweet from Cadel Evans's wife is really more than I need to know:
    And Columbia signed promising US rider Tejay Van Garderen for next year. He's currently with Rabo's Continental team. Great opportunity for him!
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

16. lash

lash New Member

She rocks. Gives me hope!

I know this is mostly elite road racing but....

USA Junior Track Nationals are going to be at the LA Velodrome July 2-5

The races need volunteers (I will be there) and even if you can't volunteer come watch if you get a chance. These kids will be representing our country at the Junior and Senior World Championships and probably the next Olympics as well.

Gotta say these kids are fast. I got my ass handed to me by a bunch of them last week. :p

It's fun, face and exciting racing :D Would be cool to meet some FSUers there

Elite Nats are also at the LA Velodrome but not until later in the year.
  17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sounds like fun. I'd definitely go if I still lived in LA
  18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Blood, Sweat and Gears, a documentary on Garmin-Slipstream, airs on the Sundance Channel this Monday, with repeat airings during July.
  19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

20. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

ach- I'd volunteer, but I'm writing this from Cambodia. I'd love to meet up sometime. perhaps if I ever decide to try my hand at track cycling.
  21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

More Astana fun. Vino is cleared to ride from July 24th and has said that even though he doesn't have a contract with Bruyneel he can't imagine riding for any team other than Astana and he even has his race program all scheduled:

Just what the team needs, more people fighting to be team leader - only this one has the sponsor's backing. I really don't see Contador riding on the same team as Vino - at least Armstrong says he'd ride support if Bert is better, but I can't see Vino ever being willing to do that.
  22. lash

lash New Member

Have funin cambodia! There's a ladies session every month so no worries. That's a great place to start :)
  23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Per Gazzetta, Danilo Diluca tested positive at two stages of the Giro. On the plus side, at least he's not riding the TdF.

Darn, I guess he didn't learn anything from the Oil for Drugs incident, but he did make the Giro more exciting. I'm particularly glad now that he didn't beat Menchov.
  26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

27. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

31. Belsornia

Belsornia New Member

I wish Vino would stay away, but that weird kit certainly made me laugh.
  32. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Dan Schmalz interview with Columbia's Michael Barry

Discussing Salvatore "Toto" Commessa:

33. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

Actually, I don't mind having Vino back in peloton. He makes the tour exciting. I remember 2005 TdF Vino attacked numerous times in various cat 1/2 climbs, shredded the peloton in pieces, and then couldn't keep up with the paces of subsequent attacks. It was a quite sight to see him disappear to the rear end of peloton after launching so many attacks. It was even more hilarious to see Der Kaiser and Klodi shooting Vino down. Ah good ole days when T-mobile team was around.
  34. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

35. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

RadioShack would like you to call it 'The Shack'

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2009-08-05-ads-rebrand-radioshack_N.htm

"The Shack" :blah: . I would have changed it to "RS", or "doing better than Circuit City" :p
  36. Belsornia

Belsornia New Member

When I read that it somehow reminded me about that old song about going to the love shack, baby.

For some reason it always makes me giggle when they're referred to as 'bicyclists'.

Also kind of amusing is this pic of Fränk Schleck from brother Andy's mostly cryptic twitter. Have a sandwich, boys.
  37. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

And Frank is the "heavier" of the two brothers. :lol:
  38. Belsornia

Belsornia New Member

In this post-tour interview Andy claims he has 4kg on Fränk, though I find that hard to believe.

(If you have a few minutes to spare, its a pretty cute interview: they debate whether it's 'polka' or 'poker' dots for KoM and Fränk reveals his obliviousness to his girlfriend's hints for a ring, but claims he's going to name his future son Andy. :lol: It switches to English once they start talking.)
  39. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

There really is nothing I don't love about Andy's twitter. It's like a daily puzzle.
  40. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Rumors on Cyclingnews about Levi and Hincapie joining BMC. I'd heard rumors about George going, but this is the first I heard Levi mentioned - I assumed he'd be going with Lance. I really can't imagine Levi giving up the chance to ride in the Grand Tours next year, he won't have many more chances, but who knows.

IIRC, BMC is largely sponsored by the poor guy who owned Phonak. That experience turned out to be less than positive for him (maybe positive is the wrong choice of word :shuffle:), but he stayed involved with the sport although originally in a lower, "less high profile" way which was supposed to help with the doping issues. The DS is the former Phonak DS as well. Interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this.

ETA: Boasson Hagen leaving Columbia, although he hasn't identified a new team yet.

Also, both the UK and the US qualified a full 9 person team for the Worlds road race for the first time in a number of years. Interesting to see who gets selected (and who wants to ride). The course is pretty hilly this year, and doesn't seem like a good course for a pure sprinter.

Edited again: Vino (riding for Kazakh National team) wins the TT at the Tour de l'Ain, but Chris Horner takes the overall for now. The "queen stage" a massive climbing stage is tomorrow.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009