Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

My husband who's an MD said that Spain is a country that has a history of finding clenbuterol in meat, even though it's illegal. Back in the 80s or 90s it was legal and there were some human deaths from the residue in meat. So the story may have some basis in fact. He also said that it would be a rather stupid pick for using illegally since it can be fatal and wouldn't be very beneficial.

2. itsartemis

itsartemis There will only be one Daisuke!

Ok, I apologize in advance for having to use caps and exclamation marks here, but:

THOR HUSHOVD IS WORLD CHAMPION!!!! I just can't believe it. He is our first World Champion in cycling ever! :cheer2:

I sat up watching all night. The last hour (around 6.30AM) I started getting really tired, couldn't sit and resorted to walking around in front of the TV. So sure that when EBH was gone from the front group, the Italians and the Belgians were going to make it too hard for Spain to close the gap, but all of a sudden things got really exciting when Gilbert went too early and was caught.

I was so sure Breschel had it, until I saw a red, white and blue cannonball emerge on the right side. And in the end, there was no contest - he won with two bike lengths! I screamed and woke up my neighbors at 7.35AM a Sunday morning! What an adrenaline rush. I haven't been this happy about a sports result since Daisuke won Worlds. :D And it didn't really matter that the Australians totally butchered our national anthem! :eek: At least they played the right one, albeit a syrupy one for like 10-15 seconds.

Didn't fall asleep before 9AM - so many messages and phone calls. Woke up an hour ago. Now I'm going to watch the delayed Eurosport coverage with my two favorite commentators.

Sorry - pretty excited! Needed this after a depressing few days because of Contador. :)

Here is Thor in big pictures!

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Congrats, itsartemis (and Thor!) :cheer: I made it through most of the race, but by 12:30 I just couldn't stay awake any more. Can't wait to see the broadcast.

Very well deserved win for Thor and a nice boost for Garmin-Cervelo next year. And he does look very handsome in the rainbow stripes.

ETA: Love this pic from Cadel's wife :lol:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

6. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

7. lash

lash New Member

YAY THOR! I'm so happy for you itsartemis! First ever WC medal for Norway and a gold at that :cheer2:

itsartemis and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Per his twitter, Sal Ruibal who wrote for USA Today and covered cycling among other sports, was let go from the paper. Doesn't bode well for cycling coverage in USA Today.

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

11. lash

lash New Member

GK, I just came here to post that Article about Renshaw. The pics are :swoon:

CANNOT WAIT for Tour of Cali. I ride up to Mt Baldy once a month, weather permitting. It's a very popular ride around here and with it being on a Saturday the crowds will be out in full force. Totally freakin' awesome!

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Apparently there were some rumors that the newly crowned World Champion might be riding for a team other than Garmin next year. Vaughters tries to cut through the rumors on twitter. Vaughters has such a way with words :lol:

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Giro di Lombardia closed out the road season today. Gilbert continued his late season form with an impressive win in very nasty weather. Although I suspect Andy Schleck may still get one more win this season before the Tour down Under starts next year.

It's been an interesting season, although my favorite race was probably the Giro - great scenery, great drama, epic stages and non-stop surprises each day. And ending the race in an ancient coliseum adds a class of touch and history.

The Tour was also good in that it promised a fun rivalry - particularly with Bert and Andy changing teams like that, but Bert's little trouble put a bit of a cloud over that promise.

Fabian continues to delight on and off the bike, and Thor in a rainbow jersey is a nice way to end the year. And kudos to Cadel who shook off the "wheel sucker" rumors and proved a very worthy and admirable world champion all season. His stage win in the Giro qualified as a career highlight and I loved how he used the jersey's prestige to help a number of good causes during the year.

Nibali's rides at the Giro and the Vuelta gave a promise of fun to come and the Tyler/Cav rivalry is building into a very entertaining storyline. And will the Velits brother actually make HTC commit some resources to a grand tour contender?

Lots to look forward to next year, but not to worry, the Tour Down Under isn't too far away and the figure skating Grand Prix season starts next week. :cheer:

ETA: Enigmatic Cav is a great teammate for the Isle of Man Commonwealth team., and then whines about merely being paid his contract amount.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  19. Theatregirl1122

Must be a sprint.

:cheer: for the team time trial! As a Cav fan, booooooo at the new intermediate sprint rules. So the tour is going into Italy, eh? But no prologue and the tour starts in France. Not surprised to see a mountainous root for the 100th anniversary of Les Alps. Thrilled that L’Alpe d’Huez is back on the agenda. And the individual time trial is back to the 2nd to last day.

Limited time trialing will be good for Andy. Even better if he has Fabian for the TTT. Any more word on that?

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  21. Theatregirl1122

:cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: Andy is my favorite GC guy (as if you all couldn't tell) and I was worried that the move to a Lux team was going to be a mistake and cost him a lot of team support. I'm thrilled that it seems like they will have some great support riders (and Jens is awesome). I'm still anxious to know where Fabian is going.

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Bruyneel suspended for Feb and March for the wrong jersey episode at the TdF, or more likely his comments about the officials. Fines aplenty for Johan, the DSs and the riders, with all the money going to a Swiss cancer charity.

Barredo also suspended for 2 months (although one report I read said 3 mos - something like that) for his attack with the bike tire. I believe his suspension starts on Jan 1.

Fabian officially joins Team Lux - Fabian Wegman that is. Fuglsang also signs with Team Lux, no shock there. Linus Gerdemann also joins, bringing the pretty to the team.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  24. Theatregirl1122

:lynch:

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

26. Theatregirl1122

Did we know that Mick Rogers was leaving HTC to sign with Team Sky? Why are you doing this to me, Mick? What is he going to do with Team Sky? I'm lost on this one.

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I didn't know, but the Velits brothers success may have played a factor. Either that or he's sick of doing leadouts for Cav. Or it's just that Sky still has boatloads of money.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Funny ongoing twitter exchange between Taylor Phinney and Jeremy Abbott. They're both up for USOC athlete of the month, and they've had some cute tweets. Jeremy warning that "that 5 time world champion doesn't know who he's dealing with" and Taylor pointing out that it's a battle between two spandex sports.

29. Theatregirl1122

This is totally weirding me out. The first time Jeremy mentioned Taylor it took me a minute to realize who had posted the tweet.

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo