Cycling continued

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, May 7, 2009.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The U23 crowd really shone this weekend at Nats. Incredibly impressive ride by Ben King to hold off the peloton for a solo win. Trek-Livestrong riders claimed both titles - yay for Axel Merckx.

King also announced that he's riding for Radio Shack next year.

2. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Any word on where he may be going?

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Itsartemis probably has better sources, but I've read rumors of Team Schleck and Sky as the top contenders. BMC has been thrown around as well, but I can't imagine they have the budget or team support for the classics for him.

4. itsartemis

itsartemis There will only be one Daisuke!

This Danish Newspaper just wrote that according to the Luxembourgian newspaper Luxemburger Wort, Cancellara will ride for Team Lux next season.

So no big surprise there if their "exclusive information" is true.

Danish TV2 had made a really nice farewell montage to Fränk Schleck which they showed before yesterday's stage. He's been with Team CSC/Saxo for 8 years and yesterday was his last stage/race with the team. It was a "thank you for all the fun and good luck in the future" kind of thing. :)

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

6. lash

lash New Member

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  7. itsartemis

Thank you for this - it's really well made. :)

I am so sick of this commercial. I know it by heart as it is shown every time Eurosport goes to commercial during every single cycling broadcast. I really wish he had made a second one as it got nauseating during the Tour already. :lol:

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

You should check these times, because I can't vouch for the person who did the "translation" but I found these start times for the Worlds races:

Time Trials
    Wed 29th Sept ~ Under 23 Men ~ 31.8km ~ 10 AM AEST ~ 8 pm Tue EDT ~ 5 pm Tue PDT ~ 2 am Wed CEST
    Wed 29th Sept ~ Elite Women ~ 22.9km ~ 3 PM AEST ~ 1 am Wed EDT ~ 10 pm Tue PDT ~ 7 am Wed CEST
    Thurs 30th Sept ~ Elite Men ~ 45.8km ~ 1 PM AEST ~ 11 pm Wed EDT ~ 8 pm Wed PDT ~ 5 am Thu CEST

Road Races
    Fri 1st Oct ~ Under 23 Men ~ 159km ~ 1 PM AEST ~ 11 pm Thu EDT ~ 8 pm Thu PDT ~ 5 am Fri CEST
    Sat 2nd Oct ~ Elite Women ~ 127.2km ~ 1 PM AEST ~ 11 pm Fri EDT ~ 8 pm Fri PDT ~ 5 am Sat CEST
    Sun 3rd Oct ~ Elite Men ~ 262.7km ~ 10 AM AEDT ~ 7 pm Sat EDT ~ 4 pm Sat PDT ~ 1 am Sun CEST

To further complicate the time changes, I gather Australia switches to daylight savings time this week. Universal Sports should be able to confirm the times, since they're supposedly showing the races live online (for a fee), as well as having coverage on tv.

ETA: Universal Sports interview with Taylor Phinney

And FYI, this is the girlfriend he mentions in the interview

Australian professional cyclist Birdie O'Donnell weighs in from Worlds with this tidbit of info:

ETA again: Time of the women's race may be changed due to conflict with Australian football.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  12. itsartemis

Thor was interviewed today on Norwegian TV and they showed him riding the climb - which they are going to do 11 times. He said it was harder....much harder than he'd expected. And that he'd have to have a really great day to have any chance at all.

13. Theatregirl1122

So far it seems like all of the riders who have ridden the course have something about how it really isn't a sprinters course.

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Don't want to spoil the U23 time trial championship for anyone who is waiting to watch it on Universal tv, so don't read unless you want to know the results
    Yay, Taylor!

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Great Britain's Emma Pooley takes the women's time trial and Gramin's Jonathan Vaughters is excited about this rider he inherited from Cervelo's women's team

Meanwhile, Peter Velits has high hopes for the small Slovakian team:

:lol:

ETA: Cute Jens Voigt story

Eddie Merckx wanted to get in on the fun too

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  16. lash

lash New Member

I was at Interbike and I saw both Jens and Ale Jet. They are much thinner and taller in person and when wearing normal clothing.

I stood next to Ale Jet at the Wilier booth. It was hard to not :grope: He is verrrrry stylish and very, very handsome in person. :swoon:

I am the biggest idiot ever. I never uploaded the photos off my phone then proceeded to go out after the show, get totally drunk and leave my cell in a cab :(

17. Theatregirl1122

:cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Contador tested positive for clenbuterol, a prohibited substance, at this year's Tour. He claims it's a result of food contamination. By reports, it's an easily detected stimulant that isn't the most effective drug, and not likely to be a drug of choice. It is sometimes used with cattle to raise less fatty meat, but apparently not used frequently in developed countries. This was the same drug that Radio Shack's Li tested positive for earlier in the year, and people thought it possible he might have ingested the drug though meat raised in China where its use is more common (but he's still facing a suspension with WADA's strict liability rules) More to come, I'm sure.

ETA: UCI statement. The statement confuses me a bit. They say that the B test cofirmed and that the rider is suspended, but they also say "further scientific investigation " is required. Certainly Bert will claim that the minute traces aren't reliable, but they also say it was an adverse result which means there must be enough of a level to make a determination.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  19. itsartemis

Norwegian Newspaper VG is showing the press conference live now. I am sorry, I don't know if it is geo-blocked.

Danish TV2 shows without a stupid translator (who doesn't know Norwegian anyway).

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

21. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Don't forget to mention that Cancellara is world champion AGAIN! :cheer:

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

yes it's true, it's Michael Rasmussen doing the quickstep :rofl

ETA: German press claims there was a higher than normal level of some "plasticizers" in Contador's tests which could be evidence of blood doping. The theory being that the low levels of clen resulted from taking blood in an out of competition period where he may have been taking clen, and reintroducing it on the rest day. Even if they tested the blood, the levels were low enough that they weren't picked up (but that the Cologne lab used during the Tour had more sophisticated equipment that could pick up the trace levels. No info given on how the German reporter would have gotten access to the test levels for plasticizers.

24. itsartemis

25. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Plasticizers and hormones of all kinds are so ubiquitous now, they're found in drinking water. At some point the testing equipment will be so sensitive, that everybody will test positive for something. I hope this is just a case of contamination (contaminated food, contaminated water bottles, whatever) but whatever is actually the case, it is still a mess.

Time to go look at some pictures of Fabian to cheer up.

26. lash

lash New Member

The kinds used in water bottles are different from the type used in blood bags. Which is why they test for those certain plastics. Or so I read in one of the many (way too) many articles I read in the last 24 hours. I'd provide a link but I can't remember which article. However...wait and see is how I feel. In the mean time..

Spartacus RULES! He is amazing and I hope he pulls off the double and wins the RR!

:cheer2: Tony Martin!:cheer2: got a flat and took third in the TT. Probably would have beat Millar for 2nd but no way he's have beat Fabian.

lot of pics here. http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-road-world-championships-cm/elite-men/photos

27. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

How is his hair so immaculately coiffed after being in a sweaty helmet for an hour?

28. Theatregirl1122

I was surprised Tony had gotten third instead of second but I didn't know he had a flat. :cheer: for him to come in 3rd!

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

:cheer: to Taylor for getting a bronze (in a record making tie with Canada's Boivin) in the U23 road race to go with his gold in the TT. I was going to watch online last night, but lost power due to some very heavy rainstorms in the area. Congrats to Australia for getting a home country gold.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Who knew cows had passports?

And Ivan Basso's sister has been banned for 4 years from being involved with CONI, Italian national federations or from frequenting sporting facilities or places designated for athletes and their coaches or from participaint in events organized by Italian federations.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010