"Culture on Ice" and other figure skating books

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lulu, Oct 2, 2012.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

I'm re-reading Ellyn Kestnbaum's "Culture On Ice" all in all it is my favorite book on figure skating. I love approaching figure skating from an anthropological/social/cultural perspective. In particular, I appreciate the fact that she uses programs and performances from generally less know skaters (Zaggy!) to supplement her argument.

I'm sure other posters have read Culture On Ice as well, what did you think of it?
    What are some of your favorite books about figure skating?

:)

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

How well do you think the arguments stand up in the context of the new judging system?

3. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I read Culture on Ice a couple of years ago. I remember appreciating some of her arguments, especially on issues such as sexism and heteronormativity in figure skating. Her discussion of those issues I think are relevant, even under the new judging system.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

To me the whole concern with male skaters appearing masculine vs. feminine is a North American preoccupation. The Russian and European skaters don't seem to have any problem with makeup, tights, balletic moves or Swan Lake. From what I read there is plenty of homophobia in Russia, yet their artists don't seem to feel it is unmasculine to be graceful or theatrical.

5. lulu

lulu New Member

To be honest, I really did not evaluate the content within the context of the judging system. I'd be interested in what you think though. :)
    I was more interested in her discussion of the way gender and ice skating is displayed and interpreted by the media. The discussion of how the Duchesnays' 'Reflection' program defied conventional gender expectations. Although brief, I also appreciated her critique of Christine Brennan's chapter on "Skating Tragic Secret" in Inside Edge.
    I'm rambling, but I love to hear what other people have to say as well.

Kestnbaum makes mention of how ballet doesn't have the same feminine connotations in the FSU as it does in N.A., and rather it is an expressing of pride in national cultural achievements.

6. care bear

care bear Active Member

I read the book 2 years ago. As a person who has linguistic background I found the approach (structuralism, semiotic theory, parole and langue, considering skating as a sign system etc. ) very intersting. Linguistics and skating together, what could be better? :)

7. aliceanne

I thought I had read her book, but it is not on my shelf so apparently not. Does she discuss Asian cultures and their views of skating and masculinity? I've read a lot books discussing the Russian vs. North American approach to male skating, but now that Japanese and Chinese skaters are champions it would be interesting to explore that influence. Like North Americans they don't seem to be into classical ballet and opera, but I don't know if that is a musical preference or they find it effeminate for male skaters.

I also wonder where the discussion leaves skaters who don't want to be balletic. It seems as if skaters like Elvis Stojko, Scott Hamilton, and Michael Weiss have to defend their preference from charges of homophobia just as much as Johnny Weir, Rudy Galindo, or Toller Cranston have to defend their choices as being too gay.

I can see the judges dilemma. It's like trying to judge modern dance or break dance next to ballet. In the dance world these would be separate disciplines.

8. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I don't know that Michael Weiss gets that much criticism for his on-ice style so much as his off-ice interviews and behaviour.

9. lulu

lulu New Member

She doesn't. Although the book was published in 2003, most of the examples citied are from the late 80s through mid 90s. There is discussion of Chen Lu's "Last Emperor" routine, but the chapters on male skating primarily focused on N.A., Western Europe and F.S.U. skaters.
    That would be a really fascinating topic though.

10. aliceanne

If you like sociologic discussions of skating you would also like Mary Louise Adams book "Artistic Impressions Figure Skating, Masculinity, and the Limits of Sport". Although it was published in 2011, she is Canadian so it still focuses on North American skating.

What I find interesting about the history of figure skating is that it has always been an elitist sport. Even when people were skating outdoors you had to be a club member to compete, and until the 1960's blacks, Jews, and others could not join clubs. Nowadays the expense limits participation, but I think the sport's "country club" image has contributed to keeping it a niche sport.

11. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you so much for the book suggestion, sounds interesting. :)

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I own the book and I plan to start reading it this weekend.

This is a good point. I do know at least one Jewish woman who belonged to a skating club before the 1960s, but it was definitely an issue she was aware of, and not all clubs would have been accepting at the time.

13. care bear

care bear Active Member

I was impressed by facts from M. Adams book. Coach Elen Burka has hidden her Jewish origin to get a job at the rink in Toronto.
    In Vienna anyone could be a memeber of figure skating club in the early 20th century. At Cricket in Toronto women could get there only as another's wife, sister or daughter.

14. aliceanne

Atoy Wilson was U.S. Novice National Champion but had to register as an independent member of USFSA because none of the LA clubs would have him.

15. lulu

lulu New Member

There's a brief mention of Atoy Wilson in this obit. for the incomparable Mabel Fairbanks. http://articles.latimes.com/2001/oct/04/local/me-53367

I read an excerpt of "Artistic Impression" through Google Books & Amazon, and I'm looking forward to reading the entire book now.

One thing I particularly appreciated about Culture On Ice was that the author spent time analyzing not just singles, but pairs & ice dance as well. While on worldcat, I also found this book, which looks promising as well: "Skating on air: the broadcast history of an Olympic Marquee sport" by Kelli Lawrence.

And seeing the excellent reviews it received, I want to read Lucinda Ruh's biography as well.

16. aliceanne

"Skating on Air" was written by FSUer "Geena" aka Kelli Lawrence. There is a thread in the Trash Can somewhere about her book. If you bump it up I'm sure she will respond. I started it so I can do a search for you if you can't find it.

My favorite skating book is "Skate Talk" by Steve Milton. It is short (2 pages) interviews with skaters, coaches, officials, commentators, journalists etc on various subjects pertaining to skating. Some of the Russian skaters are interviewed about adjusting to life in the US, there are chapters about age, relationships, winning and losing, the direction of the sport and more. All of the heavy hitters of the 90's were interviewed, bur my favorite interviews are with anonymous skaters talking about what it is like to tour with an ice show.

Lulu might be interested in Robin Cousin's interview about Carlo Fassi. Cousins describes why an elite coach is important to a skater (he doesn't mention politicking).

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

A book I discovered recently, Sporting Sounds: Relationships Between Sport and Music, has an excellent chapter on Figure skating and the importance of music in the sport. The writers discuss Brian Boitano's 1988 sp performance to Les Patineurs, choreographed by Sandra Bezic, and the thrilling performance of Shen & Zhao at 2003 Worlds, among other skaters' performances.

http://www.amazon.com/Sporting-Soun...id=1349475675&sr=1-1&keywords=Sporting Sounds

Also, there was a thread in GSD recently about the publication of this book by Erica Rand, who is a teacher and an adult figure skater:
    Red Nails, Black Skates: Gender, Cash and Pleasure, On and Off the Ice

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ipbooks&field-keywords=Red Nails Black Skates

18. lulu

lulu New Member

Slightly off topic, but I just love the story behind Boitano's 1988 SP, and how well the choreography is utilized to tell that story. :swoon:

19. misskarne

misskarne #408

And Ilia's quad Axel on the floor.

I loved Skate Talk too.

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

No, I don't think you're off topic really. The book I mentioned, Sporting Sounds deals beautifully with the story behind Les Patineurs and the collaboration between Brian and Sandra which resulted in a such a wonderful work of art -- iconic in figure skating history, IMO. At the time (in 1988), I appreciated Brian's sp, but now from this different vantage point (and after reading the chapter in that book) I realize the program's deeper significance particularly in light of how the new judging system has negatively impacted the sport artistically.

Today, there are a lot of champion skaters who skate without any connection to their music and clearly there's no incentive for them to work on developing a better connection. Its the number of spins and spin positions and jump layout and frenetic footwork for point-gathering that matters most, rather than connecting with the music and telling a story with expressive artistry and technical brilliance.

21. lulu

lulu New Member

Side note, but I went to Barnes hoping to find some figure skating books, and they didn't have any books on figure skating. Now granted, it's been a while since I've looked for figure skating books at the bookstore, but they usually always have at least one book-even if it is just a copy of Nancy Kerrigan's "Artistry On Ice"

Intead, I read from "The Best American Sports Writing 2012", I love that series, even though I'm not big on most sports in the first place; but the writing is so good, I find myself actually engrossed reading an essay about baseball. It would be a dream to read a similar collection of essays on figure skating, there are so many complex and intriguing people involved in the sport, not to mention you can use skating as a gateway to talk about larger issues of culture, gender, sexuality, even back in the 1980s, cold war politics.

22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I haven't read this book or Skating on Air yet, but would like to @ some point.

Favorite skating book to date - Skate Talk

23. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I've been slowly adding skating book reviews to my site. I have another review coming this weekend, and a nightstand full of books to read and review, so it is indeed a slow process. But I figured since nice authors send these books to me the least I can do is read and review them.

24. aliceanne

Manleywoman, you have enough material to do a book of your own.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  25. lulu

lulu New Member

ITA :) I enjoyed reading your reviews as well, I'm even more interested in reading "Skating On Air" and Lucinda Ruh's autobiography, although the latter seems quite harowing in places.