CTV, TSN to broadcast skating again in Canada!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Parsley Sage, May 25, 2011.

1. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

No mention of worlds, 4CC's and the GPF though.

http://www.bellmediapr.ca/ctv/releases/release.asp?id=13818&yyyy=2011

2. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

Yea this is not a good news.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

But will they have PJ??

4. Parsley Sage

My guess is that CBC will have Worlds, 4CC's and the GPF and PJ too.

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Why in the world are people excited! No way CTV and TSN will air skating in their entirety like CBC and BOLD have. This sucks!

6. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Maybe TSN2 would cover worlds etc the way Bold has?

I hope Tracy Wilson will do the commentary on CTV.

I found this interesting:

I wonder if they are going to try and do ISU-sanctioned TV events similar to what the Japanese Fed is doing.

7. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I totally agree - this is not good news.

8. WildRose

CTV is only doing Canadian domestic events - not worlds. Hopefully CBC will still carry the Grand Prix & Worlds.

9. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i was thinking the same thing =( i love having it available on line to watch too- bummer back to 2 hours of coverage per event if we are lucky....

10. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I like CBC because I can get it here in Seattle!

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

Ahhh i see, i didn't see that coming.

Yea this sucks!

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Battle of the...er, um...Sharp-Edged Metal Objects?

I will be very sad if this deal doesn't involve online broadcasts of entire events, like CBC has done on BOLD and cbc.ca. As much as CTV has done for figure skating broadcasting in Canada in the past, AFAIK it hasn't ever done anything like what CBC did in the past few years.

13. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

ITA. Not good at all!

Back to limited coverage and no live streaming. :(

It will be interesting to see who they choose to do the commentary alongside Rod Black.

ETA: OK, maybe I was wrong. The press release mentions coverage on TSN2 as well, so there may be quite a few hours there. We'll have to wait for more details. I'm really wondering what will happen with the international events, too.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  14. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The Bold coverage was fantastic for diehard fans, but I'm sure Skate Canada was more concerned with having live primetime coverage on CTV and TSN, which CBC couldn't offer. CBC aired Thursday and Friday coverage at 3pm and midnight, when people are at work or in bed. They couldn't air coverage on Saturday night because of hockey, and any primetime coverage on Sunday night was taped. Skate Canada couldn't have been thrilled with that--it's certainly not a good way to build viewership across Canada.

15. flowerpower

That is very true. Perhaps between CTV, TSN and TSN2 it might be possible to better market the sport in primetime, yet also provide extensive coverage for those who wish it (on TSN2). We'll see.

16. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Good point.

TSN2 is showing tons of live coverage of the French Open so I'm hopeful they'll be able to do the same thing with skating.

I'm just happy I'll get to see more of Rod Black. :D :swoon:

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Do people expect CTV to air skating in primetime instead of American Idol?

18. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

No, same goes with NHL games on TSN.

19. flowerpower

He was always easy on the eyes! :lol:

(Which was just as well, considering his commentary back in the early days...)

20. KatieC

KatieC On hold

I don't want to listen to Rod Black - just last night I put in a tape of the Olympic figure skating gala - and had to listen to him. Annoying. I like PJ.

Maybe I'm just feeling cranky at the moment.

21. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

TSN 2 often shows all of curling events starting from the first draw...even draws when canada isnt playing. Hopefully they will show lots of live stuff for skating as well

22. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

Really disappointed, but I hope they will show as much as did Bold, CBC and cbcsports.ca I will miss CBC's team if they are not engaged to TSN-CTV.

23. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I will miss PJ :(

Maybe they will get her to do complete live coverage on TSN2 like we had on Bold. Fingers crossed.

Used to love Rod Black back in the day. Then he reappeared for the Olys. Just dire. Truly annoying. If I had a dollar for every time he said Patrick Chan during the mens competition (both short and long) I'd be a very rich woman :rolleyes: And I'm a Chan fan.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Are Skate Canada and Canadians on primetime on the nights American Idol are on?

ETA: I don't watch AI, but I assume it's not on TV on a Thurs, Friday or Sat night.

25. bibi24

bibi24 New Member

What about Barbara Underhill?

26. Parsley Sage

Skate Canada doesn't conflict with AI. Canadians might for one or two nights depending on the schedules

27. WildRose

Barb Underhill is a skating expert, not a professional announcer - they always have to have a network person too. Rod Black is the network guy CTV always assigns to skating, so CTV will have Rod Black doing the broadcasts with 1 or 2 skaters. Problem is...Rod thinks he's a skating expert, but he isn't. If he'd just ask questions of the experts, or better yet shut up, it would be fine - but he blathers on about stuff he knows nothing about. I'm sure he's a very nice person, and I think he genuinely likes skating, but in all the years he's covered the sport he's learned virtually nothing about it. The man annoys me no end. I expect CTV will go with the commentators they had during the Olympics: Sale & Pelletier, Liz Manley etc. Rod loves Elvis, so they may hire him to do the men, in which case all they'll talk about is the quad because that's all either of them think is important.

28. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Hoping for the best but expecting not all the changes will be for the better. I know we were almost always on tenterhooks most of the season with CBC as to whether on not they would cover certain events. This year very limited Four Continents. I know they found it expensive so this isn't really the biggest of surprises.

Not a Rod Black fan as he ruined skating for me by going on ad naseum about Mr Stojko - all Elvis all the time, even when he wasn't skating. Hopefully he will not do the same with Patrick. The lad already has enough haterzzzz.

Actually this is one of my first concerns when I saw this thread as there is often a conflict with Figure Skating and Curling World Championships on at the same time. Although possibly we are still talking CBC having the World Figure Skating so I guess I will just have to try to be patient.

The way we watch skating around the world has changed a lot since CTV last had these events so there is every possibility they will have a different approach now too.

I was in seventh heaven with PJ and the complete coverage LIVE. However, if CTV does not plan to cover all the skaters then hopefully Skate Canada will pick up the slack on SkateBuzz at least.

29. flowerpower

Me too. It would be great if TSN2 were to hire her.

RE: Rod Black...
    Right, but I remember him being even worse in the past, especially when he first started and knew nothing about skating (and it showed, lol! He's improved a bit, but still....) Plus he's the master of lines like, "Elvis has left the building...." :scream:

30. flowerpower

I agree about Rod.

Coming back to Barb Underhill, though...I really enjoyed her commentary for CBC - professional, informative, good insights. I would enjoy hearing from her again.

I hope they look beyond the Oly commentators. Victor Kraatz, in particular, seemed lost.