Cruise Ship Strikes Rock off Italian Coast; 3 dead, 70 missing.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Jan 14, 2012.

1. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Something I read awhile ago said the captain was seen eating with a woman in a cafe onshore while the rescue efforts were underway. Don't know if that is the woman above, or if that story has been validated.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The Batory was around forever, and one of the first liners around to have tourist class as the dominant accommodation. What a wonderful experience that must have been...did you emigrate on it, or were you on a pleasure trip?

3. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm currently reading "Titanic" Women and Children First" by Judith Geller. It contains some fascinating information about Loraine Allison's nurse, Alice Cleaver. Unbeknownst to the Allisons, she was a convicted child murderer.:yikes: Bess Allison hired her after the children's regular nurse quit while the family was traveling in Europe. When she felt the ship hit the iceberg, Nurse Cleaver grapped Baby Trevor, wrapped him a blanket and rushed up to the boat launching deck without telling his parents. They spent precious time looking for him and missed all of the lifeboats.

Third Class passengers on the Titanic were disadvantaged by their berthing area's distance from the lifeboat launching desks. They had to make their way up from the ship's lower levels; often climbing ladders in the process while the lower level corridors were flooding. Some of the worst cases involved large family groups traveling in Third Class. Everyone in the Goodwin, Sage and Rice families died. Language wasn't a barrier in their cases since the first two families were English and the latter family Irish.

4. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

that reminds me I must pack my gravel (dramamine) :shuffle: I hope you do another cruise.. five years ago we did a two week Princess one in South America and the panama canal - had a balcony and was amazing.. It is still a very safe way to travel - and I think under different leadership/crew the Costa ship could have had a different outcome :(

5. Michalle

Michalle New Member

That Alice Cleaver story is disputed - I would google it before taking it as the gospel truth.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This may have been posted, not sure how old it is:

Carnival is offering survivors of the crash a 30% discount on their next cruise. Can you believe this!? They are giving them their money back, as well, but to then offer them a slight discount on another cruise? I can't even begin to put into words how awful of a PR move this is. It is probably 30% off of full price, they would probably get a better deal just booking last minute when prices go way down. I am not even sure a free cruise or a lifetime of free cruises would get many of those people back on one of their ships.

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:rofl: That is the only laughable thing to come out of this tragedy. Bad PR is right.

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Everything I have read is that the 30% is a discount for those who were booked on the concordia, but have now had their.cruise canceled. Not that it is compensation to those on board.

Eta: anyone booked.through mid march apparently, but also those who were on the ship when it sank. They are also accepting cancelations on all.their ships, with no penalty. Not as awful as it first sounded.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  9. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

A couple of years ago, mr cygnus and I had a cruise booked for New Zealand/Australia with Celebrity Cruise lines. A week or so before we were to go, we got a message that the cruise was cancelled because the ship was in dry dock undergoing repairs. We not only got a full refund for the cruise and airfare, but we got a free cruise to be taken any time in the next year. It was disappointing to miss the Australian trip (it was too late in the season to rebook)- but we lost no money and took the (grown up) kids on a free cruise of the Mediterranean two months later. Not bad.

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Lorraine Allison was the only first class child to die, an absolutely impossible situation for her mother. I have no idea what I would have done in her situation. IMHO the most heartbreaking story by far in any maritime disaster.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What become of Loraine's brother? Did he have family to go to?

12. julieann

Trevor was raised by his aunt and uncle in Canada, I think his fathers brother.

Trevor died at the age of 18 of ptomaine poisoning. He was to inherit a large some of money at that time and there were rumors/speculation that his relatives (the wife in particular, never wanted the burden of raising him in the first place and may have had a hand in it) Ptomaine poising was pretty common in 1929 so I guess no one kicked up a fuss even with that amount of money. Poor kid.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Micky Arison is a shark; always has been.
    IIRC, he owns or has an interest in the Miami Heat.

14. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I just got a lengthy email from Celebrity Cruises, citing their safety record, leadership and experience. :blah: It's just marketing propaganda, but the author mentioned the Costa Concordia "accident."

I read this morning that they're confused about the passenger counts because there may have been undocumented people on board.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's one of the most cutthroat industries out there - I'm so not surprised by this.

It's supposed to be damn near impossible to stowaway on cruise ships these days - how could this happen?

16. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

You ask that question with this captain in charge! I wouldn't be surprised if he knew about this - in fact nothing would surprise me with this captain :rolleyes:

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. True. I've heard stories of crew members smuggling their families on cruise ships so they could travel with them. Could this have been the case this time?

18. julieann

I'm curious if they mentioned how many died aboard their cruise ships last year? 15 million people took cruises last year, so it doesn't seem like the most unsafe thing a person can do, especially if you take alcohol out of the equation.

All the crew members have to do is not scan documents when someone boards the ships, it's pretty easy for a friend or relative to get on undocumented as long as the crew member is in on it.

I'm sure every captain/cruise line knows stowaways can happen, but they can't and won't do a head count. He was a bad enough captain as it was I don't want his time monopolized by counting passengers and checking paperwork.

19. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

No statistics other than the experience of their crew and leadership.

On this cruise, they had not had a lifeboat drill yet. Maybe they do the headcount and check documents at that point, so that's why they don't have accurate counts?

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If I ever take a cruise, there's no way I would take a cabin in the lower deck.

21. Skittl1321

The headcount would only be accurate if everyone WENT to the drill. I know of plenty of people who don't go to their muster station, and hide from the steward who is in charge of checking the rooms.

Besides which, this boat does not do a full passenger drill, as they have rotating embarkation days, not a closed loop like US based cruises. Only the passengers who JUST got on had not yet done the drill, 2/3 of them already had.

I have never been on a cruise that checked documents or did a roll call at the muster drill. I don't know whether or not they had a way to know what cabin we were from (possibly a number on the life jacket that they just looked for?) The drill are very crowded, and you have to WANT to hear what they are saying to get any information from them, it would be easy to have no idea what was going on if you weren't paying careful attention.

22. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

All the cruises I have gone on have checked documents and did a roll call at the drill. In fact, we could not start the drills in our assigned areas unless everyone had checked in. Crew knew how many people, names of people and the life jacket number/amounts for each cabin (or something like that to account for all of us before the drills began). Didn't mean that people listened or paid attention to all the data (Just like flying - how many of us really put down our books, kindles, blackberries or laptop and really listen to instructions). At some point, it becomes your personal responsibility to take things seriously.

Before we left each port, the people who got off the ship were known by the checked document and in at least 3 cases, we could not leave port until all passengers were on board. In another case, the missing passengers did not return within a specified time period - the port authorities were notified and we left. I think, but am not certain, that they joined us at the next port but it had been their responsibility/expenses to get to the next port before the ship left again.

As with anything, should someone want to stowaway or bring a relative on board, it is possible and probably does happen. Does that mean that the cruise line is a bad one because it might happen?

I've not sailed on Carnival Cruise lines, but have on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norweigen or Holland. Each of them give you information either before boarding or on board about their safety records and the experience of their captains and seconds - most of scripted like the Carnival email. We have been able to go to a viewing area to see the motherboards - or computer workings - of the ship (not directly inside, but like an operating observation room). Not many people take advantage of that view - but my husband loves to sail and loves to look at what a control room looks like so we do.

We are going on a 15 night cruise next year. I could worry that something will happen or that my cruise ship captain or line is doing something reckless that will endanger me and all the other passengers, but then I could get hurt/killed falling down my stairs. I am not so quick to blame the cruise line, but the captain who was obviously veering off course. Unless there is proof that the cruise line was cutting corners or demanded that the captain go a dangerous route, it was the captain's overall responsibility to keep his passengers safe.

I feel for the people who died, their families, those who were passengers on the ship, the crew on the ship. It is a life altering event for them. The surviving crew members probably will have a lifetime of guilt and remorse for not being able to rescue all those entrusted to their care.

23. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I've only been on one cruise - Celebrity. No checking in, no roll call, no checking life jackets, no documents during the drill.

24. Skittl1321

Yes, this definitely happened. You had to scan your card to get on or off the ship, and the crew did too. Having an "unknown" stowaway would be nearly impossible, but I think it would not be difficult to have an undocumented passenger if a crew member/officer invited them on board.

25. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've been on several cruises, the latest one was about four years ago. They did a passenger check-in during the drill, which is why I asked the question. I thought it might be unique to the particular itinerary or cruise line. (eta: Carnival)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I've been on 4. One Carnival, 3 Disney. No roll call for any of them.

But that might have changed after 9/11. Lots of stuff changed after then.

27. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

we emigrated to Canada on it... landed in Montreal .. since then I have been on the oldest carnival ship - since sent to scrap - but was great and had bathtubs! Also top of the line Princess with a suite and balcony.. I love ships.. and love boats and the water.. but have a major fear of drowning - even though a good swimmer :confused: Seeing that cruiseship like that is like my nightmare come true :yikes: But didn't stop me booking for the cruise next month :shuffle:

28. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

On my Disney cruise last year, the people leading each station seemed to have a list of cabins and they checked off names; it was kinda subtle- just whenever a family showed up, someone would ask one of them what cabin they were and it would get checked off. I think it was similar on my RCL cruise the year before.

Can't remember anything about the cruises I'd taken before that.

29. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I sailed on Carnival a year ago and they did the safety schpeel before we left port. No roll call, no one asked what cabin we were in. They made several announcements about the safety demonstration and all of the crew onboard were informing guests where to be and when for that.

30. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I've sailed on two Royal Caribbean cruises and both times we had the safety drill before we left the port. Plus there was a crew member there checking off room numbers.