Cruise Ship Strikes Rock off Italian Coast; 3 dead, 70 missing.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Jan 14, 2012.

1. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I thought it was just a rumor, but it seems to be true. Wow. Disasters and human errors happen, but that was flat-out arrogance and stupidity.

I read they came 300 yards from the island's coast while they were supposed to be at least 4 miles away.

Is that true? If so, it's good to know.

One of the people I pity the most are the rescuers. Those divers who have to look for bodies? I could not do that job.

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm sure the head waiter that asked the favor of the captain must also be feeling stupid right now. I'm sure both of their brains are going "What if?"

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I'm still sitting here with my mouth gaping open thinking about the exchange between the Captain and the Head Waiter and in my mind I see a scene right out of "Night at the Opera" with Groucho as the Head Waiter and Chico as the Captain. Because THAT'S how ridiculous this is to me. It's so preposterous that it's like something right out of a freaking Marx Brothers movie.

4. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Apparently, the head waiter didn't ask for or know about the detour. I don't have a link but I either read it on a link provided in this thread or CNN.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

The Herald Sun said the waiter's sister claimed on Facebook (of course :p ) she was told that the ship was "going to pass really close", and was sending "a big hello to my brother."

The article also claims the waiter didn't request the detour. :( He must be ridden with guilt, although it's not his fault directly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wo...nic-role-captain/story-e6frf7lf-1226245930161

Even so, did everyone on the bridge think the detour toward a known rocky coast was a good idea?? :huh:

And it also may turn out that the ship didn't call in a distress signal:

If that's not behavior after a huge f*ckup, I don't know what is!

http://gcaptain.com/cruise-line-blames-captain-costa/?37693

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's like when Bush ordered the troops to invade Irag. I'm sure many of the soldiers were like WTF but they felt they had to follow order from the top. Ok, that was perhaps an extreme example, but I'm sure the guy steering the ship was just carrying out order.

Is there a co-captain on board? And a navigator also? If so, I'd like to know what sort of conversations they had when the captain decided to take the detour. In the olden days, there would've been a guy situated on the top mast keeping watch for protruding rocks, ice bergs, etc. I wonder if modern ships are equipped with some sort of sonar devices to detect such thing.

Part of me do feel bad for the captain actually. He's probably good friend with the head waiter and wanted to do something special for him to show off to the family. I'm sure some of us had done things in the name of showing off that went awry. But the captain was in a position where he shouldn't have been goofing off, and his mistake caused great damages and cost human lives.

7. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I've sent you a PM ;)

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

9. Southpaw

Grazie mille!

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Apparently it was two men they found together, not a man and woman. And I have no idea if they were a couple or not now. My bad.

Five more bodies have been found, the total death toll is 11.

11. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_L-T9M-zvI
    This is the phone call that the capitain Schettino had with the coast guard. Even if you don't speak english you can easly understand that the coast guard guy (uhm I don't know how it's called in english, sorry) is pissed off with the capitain. He tries to make excuses for not being on the ship: he fell off, he's coordinating the rescue mission from the island,... :rolleyes:

12. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I read the transcript of the phone call and I think if the Coast Guard guy was anywhere near the captain, he probably would have punched him! It must have been so frustrating for the Coast guard to have to deal with complete and utter failure on the part of the captain and crew.

So sad for the families of the deceased and missing to know that this all could have been prevented.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Good grief! So did he end up going back on board?

15. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Of course not.
    I don't remember if it has already been written here, but according to the news he could spend up to 15 years in jail. And I really hope he will.
    He is also probably going to have a drug test (I don't know the precise word in english).

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

When the Lakonia went down in the Canaries in 1963, IIRC, the captain was found negligent and spent several years in prison, but was let off early for good behavior (it's not in this link; I read that from one of my ship books). That was a fire; 130 people died.

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The second commander abandoned ship too? :scream: I hope they'll both enjoy working at The Olive Garden in the future, because their careers as sea captains are so over.

19. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

They won't find jobs anywhere, and if they each spend 15 years in jail, may be too old.

20. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Is that a metaphor? :confused:

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Nah, the Olive Garden is a chain restaurant in the states. Doesn't really apply.

22. Southpaw

That's Chico and Harpo in the lifeboat. Groucho is still on deck unsuccessfully trying to toss Margaret Dumont into a raft and she's beating him with her opera glasses.

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

That audio with the transcript is astounding. The Coast Guard Captain was awesome - he got a little ticked off and raised his voice, but other than a little blasphemy, he kept his temper in check. Knowing the call was being recorded probably helped, but he was very clear in telling the AWOL ship's captain exactly what actions were expected and who was in charge now. He'll be the star of the made-for-TV movie, rightly so. Sounds like his crew did more than the ship's crew. Bravo! (I hope, for the ship's captain's sake, the two of them never meet in person. I think the Coast Guard Captain would deck him.)

So sorry about the needless injuries and loss of lives in this nightmare.

24. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

25. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

26. duane

duane New Member

If not for the loss of life, it sounds like a 3 Stooges/Laurel & Hardy movie. The captain is in the lifeboat with the 2nd commander!??!! As the Coast Guard says, excuse me????

27. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Second Commander is the First Officer right? Just making sure I have that right.

This entire thing is so beyond sad and tragic the words just fail to come. :(

28. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yes, but on Titanic, there were 2200 passengers and lifeboats for two-thirds (and in fairness to White Star/IMM, they had about 30% MORE lifeboat capacity than the Board of Trade required for her tonnage), and 1500 people died, while here it's about a dozen at last count. Plus on Titanic, the movie vilifying them aside, the worst fatalities by percentage were the crew. There were streets in Southampton where every single house lost someone. Half the deck officers including the Captain died. In this case it sounds like the crew for the most part said screw the passengers and left them to fend for themselves. I'm not saying a captain should go down with his ship, but he shouldn't be stepping on the passengers on his way to the lifeboat...

Yeah, we're doing a 100th anniversary program (we had a first-class couple and a wife and two children traveling third class to meet her husband here that came from Dowagiac, and Senator Smith was born here, too and lead the investigation) and the Titanic comparisons are starting to grate.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  29. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree, the Titanic comparisons are beginning to be laughable.

30. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

What have I missed? Who's making comparisons to the Titanic?