Cruise Ship Strikes Rock off Italian Coast; 3 dead, 70 missing.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. floskate

floskate Vacant

In all my years of working on cruise liners, I never remember delaying the first boat drill for passengers. This has to be carried out in a certain timeframe by maritime law and all ours were either before sailing or within an hour of sailing. It was NEVER delayed. :eek: Costa have never had the best reputation for safety within the industry but this is really shocking in this day and age. Thank goodness they were so close to land otherwise it would have been catastrophic. :(

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Very scary :(

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

There were reports of people jumping into the water in panic.
    I hope that they can accurately account for all those onboard.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Isn't a ship supposed to conduct the boat drill within a certain amount of time after its departure from a port?

6. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

They've just said on the evening news that the missing are now 40.

7. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Some passengers said it was supposed to be done today

8. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I heard on CNN that the safety drill, on board that ship, is supposed to be conducted within 24 hours of leaving port. I think the ship was within that time period and the safety drill had yet to be done.

9. floskate

floskate Vacant

That sounds about right but as I already said, practically every other line does them immediately prior to, or just after departure. You cannot guarantee that nothing will happen on the first night at sea and the company has a responsibility to ensure that passengers know what to do in such an eventuality. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that timeframe significantly narrowed as a result of this.

10. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

I was reading on a Cruise board that while a few passengers had boarded in Civitavecchia on Friday, most passengers would either be getting on or off in Savona on Saturday and that is why they were doing the muster drill on Saturday.

The newsticker on CBC Newsworld is saying that the captain has been charged with manslaughter and abandoning ship.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/14/cruise-italy.html

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The cruises I've been on, they had the boat drill 2-3 hours after leaving port.

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Carnival---it seems I've heard that name before when it comes to big problems/ accidents/ tragedies associated with cruises (ABC said the ship was booked with Carnival customers.)

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Carnival owns Costa, as well as Cunard, Holland America, Princess, P&O, Seabourn, as well as AIDA.

I saw on ABC News tonight that the captain has been arrested. (This story confirms it).

Allegedly the captain left the ship before some of the passengers and other crew members!

14. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

They keep mentioning the Titanic, but in most ways I think it's a lot more similar to the listing/evacuation/sinking of the Italian liner, Andrea Doria. :( :(

15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The articles are really interesting - I know people in NYC with all of the same last names as the people quoted.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I do remember reading some of the cruise forums where old-timers predicted that one of the megaships would meet a nasty end.

The gash is very nasty - I mean, bit of boulder is actually imbedded in the hull!

17. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I saw the ship images first thing this morning when I had just woken up and I actually sat up in my bed thinking I couldn't be seeing that sideways ship right while laying down. It looked horrible and I'm glad the casualties weren't worse. Thoughts and prayers to all the survivors and to the families of those still missing. :(

Shame on that captain for abandoning his ship. :revenge: :eek:

18. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

This night, 24h after the disaster, three missing people were founded, it seems that they are in good condition.
    Now there are still 38 missing.

19. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Dreadful tragedy. Oh, Titanic was only 45,000 ton this ship in the article was 110,000 ton, Oasis of the Seas is 225,000 ton.

20. skatesindreams

From CNN: At least two more bodies have been found aboard the Costa Concordia, the Italian news agency ANSA reports.

Some of those missing have been found safe, ashore, also.

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

What a nightmare! I am so sorry for the loss of life and those still missing, as also for the survivors who will likely get nightmares for a long time to come.:(

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I so hope that they can get the fuel off the ship before it starts to leak.

24. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Oh, lordy. The captain overrode the programmed route and scooted the ship past the island so that the head waiter could wave to his parents who live there. The word "hubris" doesn't nearly cover the depth of this folly.

25. skatesindreams

^^^
    Beyond belief!

26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Bet he's feeling like the world's biggest idiot right about now.

27. Southpaw

And no wonder the captain ran after doing that, he reacted like a kid who clobbered a baseball through a neighbor's window. Seriously, I'm sitting here with my jaw hanging open after reading that. Good thing it's really cold out or I'd be getting a throat full of flies right now. What a total fckng IDIOT. How do you say "total fkng idiot" in Italian??

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I feel so bad for the poor old couple whose bodies they found near the restaurant. I cringe when folks compare this to the Titanic disaster, but this does sorta remind me of the Strauses, the old couple who chose to die together rather than be separated.

This captain should do jail time. In his defense, he did try to beach the ship, but he never should have sailed so close to land like that. There are still millions of uncharted rocks on the coasts worldwide - he should have known that.

29. Southpaw

I agree that this is nothing like the Titanic. This act of supreme jackassery of the highest order has more in common with Steve Irwin playing with a stingray than a ship meeting a wayward iceberg in the North Atlantic.

30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:wall: :wall: :wall:

There's not enough walls to knock my head onto for that one. :wall: