Crone & Poirier split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by flyingsit, Jun 2, 2011.

1. twizzle49

twizzle49 Member

Is there a reason Ralph and Hill are not on the list or would they be in a different category?

2. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

^

Judging from the comment on the bottom of the linked page, "All members of Team Elite must compete at the 2011 Summer Skate, Octoberfest and
    Sectionals in the category they have indicated for the 2011 season", these are Skate Canada Central Ontario Section "elite" developmental skaters.

Ralph/Hill would not be in this category.

3. reut

reut Active Member

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier. Dance to a New Rhythm
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/586-piper-gilles-and-paul-poirier

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Ladida

Ladida Member

Wow! Good luck for both of them!

5. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Interesting that he says, "Poirier is excited about the new partnership. &#8220;We will skate for Canada. This arrangement was the best one for us,&#8221; he said. 'Because Piper has not competed for a year she has already finished the first year of the two year waiting period, as per the ISU rules.'"

As a dance team, they only need two years for championships if her federation won't release her after one year.

She then says, "The U.S. will release me in one year. We have already spoken to the federation about this," so there's no reason to get everyone's knickers in a knot and push for an exception now. I'm sure Carol Lane will take the long-term approach and spend the year on technique and gelling as a team.

It's also interesting that he did try out with Samuelson.

I think she should get permanent residency in Canada under the Investors, Entrepreneurs, and Self-Employed class; one of the two qualifiers under "self-employed" class is "participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics". Since they'll train in Ontario, by the 2018 Olympics, she'll meet the residency requirements for citizenship under normal (non-accelerated) circumstances.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know he tried out with Samuelson too, but when I think about it they aren't really suited. Emily is too tall for Paul, I think.

9. Sulphur

Sulphur Well-Known Member

I too think Emily should be too tall for Paul.. but what a very pretty mental image of them skating together even as a tryout :D In my opinion Paul and Emily are the most talented ice dancers of the younger group (from 1990-). They have such obvious potential in this sport and I hope to see more of them in the future.