Crone & Poirier split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by flyingsit, Jun 2, 2011.

1. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

You mean you actually want to reward him for that post? :p
    maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes, and no ;)
  4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

It hurts, Mommy.
  5. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Aren't S&P still skating together professionally in shows?

Or are you talking about the end of their marriage?
  6. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

That's not much of a threat. He'd like it if you did.
  7. kppt

kppt New Member

I heard that Paul had a tryout with Piper Gillies, and that they looked pretty good together...
  8. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

This is about the time Vanessa was supposed to be holding some tryouts. Anyone know where ? Or if they're underway ?
  9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Hmm, I guess they would probably skate for Canada because Piper would be more likely to be released than Paul..
  10. dancefan17

dancefan17 Member

Wow---could see Piper and Paul together pretty easily....
  11. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Piper hasn't competed internationnally last season but did 2 decent seasons in the junior Grand Prix. I hope that the US releases her.
  12. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Piper is pretty tall--5'5" or taller. Maybe she's a bit too tall for Paul.
  13. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Yeah. ISU says she's 5'5, and Wiki says 5'7. 5'5 would be cutting it close for Paul, 5'7 would be probably be unworkable.
  14. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

She lists herself as 5'4" on IPS. :lol:
  15. MissIzzy

MissIzzy New Member

Piper Gilles may have sat last year out, but she medaled on the Junior Grand Prix back in 2009. The USFSA might refuse to release her for that.:blah:
  16. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Yes, with Zach Donohue, Piper won gold and silver medals in the 2008 JGP (they were the #4 qualifiers for the JGPF, but withdrew) and bronze in 2009.

USFS isn't the only tightfisted federation. Skate Canada refused to release Leif Gislason in 2006-2007 because he'd won bronze in a 2003 JGP event with then-partner Lauren Senft. That was Leif's one and only international podium finish. Sure, USFS wouldn't release Morgan Matthews, but Matthews/Zavozin were 2005 Junior World Champions and 2004-2005 JGPF Champions, and had won bronze, gold and JGPF bronze in the 2003-2004 JGP, and bronze in the 2002-2003 JGP.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  17. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Morgan Matthews/Maxim Zavozin also won the silver medal at 2006 Four Continents and received Team A envelope funding at least one season (maybe two?).

ETA: That said, I feel if a skater or team has received USFS team envelope funding and fulfilled their obligations for that season, they've "earned" their money and should not be under any obligation to pay it back if one or both partners (or a singles skater) are accepted to represent another country. As others have pointed out in earlier discussions related to this topic, it's the skaters and their families who are footing the bulk of the bills in order to stay in competitive skating.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I strongly agree with what Sylvia says. The skaters, or their parents, pay out thousands upon thousands of dollars for training and competition before they get to the point where they qualify for team envelope funding. And that funding would be insufficient to meet their total training costs in a given season. I can see the point of refusing to release skaters in countries where the federation is funding all training costs from an early age - they would have a considerable investment by the time the skater is invited to skate for another country, but where the parents have always footed the bill, the USFSA's investment is small in comparison to the lifelong investment of the skater/parents.
  19. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Attractive girl. :) And quite fearless it seems: http://www.flickr.com/photos/discolights444/3364956877/ Her Wikipedia bio lists Christopher Dean as one of her coaches and choreographers. ThatÂ’s a plus.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:respec:
  21. blademate

blademate New Member

Piper Gilles latest facebook status:

More packing but this one is exciting!!

Could this be a move to Toronto to skate with Paul? She has also recently become "friends" with quite a few Toronto skaters
  22. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Oooooh! I hope so! Well, assuming the country issues won't be too big of a hastle.

ETA: Apparently Vanessa Crone "likes" the status.
  23. blademate

blademate New Member

she also could be teaming with Jordan Hockley I suppose, but I hope it's Paul, I think they would look great together!
  24. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Now that would be very interesting!

Maybe we should keep an eye out for late Thornhill entries (possibly just an SD).
  25. blue_idealist

It would be kind of weird for Vanessa to like it, but maybe she's happy they both are moving on?
  26. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Yea, wasn't sure what to make of that. But it definitely looks like she's teaming with someone in Toronto.
  27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I hope so....Vanessa's so talented and I hope she does team with someone more suitable for her. I hope that both move on with no regrets.
  28. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I so strongly agree with this, I just want to pull a "me too" on the ITAing.

The idea that a federation would rather see a previously funded skater unable to continue competing for lack of a suitable partner than to see them represent another country seems just spiteful.
  29. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Interesting.... Is Hockley still skating or did he retire? It would be interesting to see him continue. Especially lately, he's shown a lot of potential. With the right sized partner, and perhaps with some new music choices and styles, we could really see him grow and develop.
  30. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Jordan Hockley is skating with Nicole Kuzmich as per the latest announcement from COS: 2011 Team Elite
  31. twizzle49

twizzle49 Member

Is there a reason Ralph and Hill are not on the list or would they be in a different category?
  32. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

^

Judging from the comment on the bottom of the linked page, "All members of Team Elite must compete at the 2011 Summer Skate, Octoberfest and
    Sectionals in the category they have indicated for the 2011 season", these are Skate Canada Central Ontario Section "elite" developmental skaters.

Ralph/Hill would not be in this category.
  33. reut

reut Active Member

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier. Dance to a New Rhythm
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/586-piper-gilles-and-paul-poirier

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Ladida

Ladida Member

Wow! Good luck for both of them!
  35. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

36. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Interesting that he says, "Poirier is excited about the new partnership. “We will skate for Canada. This arrangement was the best one for us,” he said. 'Because Piper has not competed for a year she has already finished the first year of the two year waiting period, as per the ISU rules.'"

As a dance team, they only need two years for championships if her federation won't release her after one year.

She then says, "The U.S. will release me in one year. We have already spoken to the federation about this," so there's no reason to get everyone's knickers in a knot and push for an exception now. I'm sure Carol Lane will take the long-term approach and spend the year on technique and gelling as a team.

It's also interesting that he did try out with Samuelson.

I think she should get permanent residency in Canada under the Investors, Entrepreneurs, and Self-Employed class; one of the two qualifiers under "self-employed" class is "participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics". Since they'll train in Ontario, by the 2018 Olympics, she'll meet the residency requirements for citizenship under normal (non-accelerated) circumstances.
  37. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

38. blue_idealist

Wow, I didn't know he tried out with Samuelson too, but when I think about it they aren't really suited. Emily is too tall for Paul, I think.
  39. Sulphur

Sulphur New Member

I too think Emily should be too tall for Paul.. but what a very pretty mental image of them skating together even as a tryout :D In my opinion Paul and Emily are the most talented ice dancers of the younger group (from 1990-). They have such obvious potential in this sport and I hope to see more of them in the future.