Critiquing?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by babbyrabbit, Feb 15, 2011.

1. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

I would love to get others input on programs skating ability ect. I know we have coaches but sometimes it would be nice to get others perspectives! It would be kind of cool to have a place people could post a video and ask for just advice and help. Whether with Choreo ideas or actual skating tips!

Just a thought.

On that note my daughters coach says she spins to slow and its affecting her jumps in his opinion. I dont have a video of her doing any of her back spins (it is very very slow like a beginner doing a two foot spin lol). But her other spins are slow as well. She gets the revoltions but without speed.

I would love any advice or tips others have used. She is getting frustrated because in compulsary events the faster spinners are always winning because everything is about comparable.

2. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

I have always wondered if there is a subscription online service where you upload recent videos from different angles, and different coaches affiliated with the service give timely feedback on possible improvements.

Is this even feasible or am I daydreaming? ;D

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've found that if I upload videos on youtube and post the link to skatingforums (or here, I suppose) other skaters have given me useful comments.

You just have to ignore the dreck that comes from youtube commentors.

4. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

Well I am no skating expert by any means. But if any coaches or judges (or even skilled long term skaters) would love to give me input or advice I would be happy to message them a video link!

It would be kind of fun to have a "folder"/Thread or place on here to submitt a video for critiquing. And you would know upfront there is no holding back on comments. I mean after all it is to improve the Choreography or particular elements!

I just feel awkward posting a video on the forumns. Its like i am begging or asking people to watch. But if someone actually wanted to critique that is different. Sometimes its just really nice to hear a second opinion or point of view from a very unbiased source!

5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I doubt any coaches or judges would be comfortable giving feedback to a total stranger via boards or YouTube. Each has professional standards to uphold. Ethically, coaches can't give a lesson to another coach's student - I think advice on a video clip meets the definition of lesson. Judges are volunteers, but they have lots of rules governing their conduct and would likely not be willing to give a critique to someone they've never met and whose coach they don't know.

And watching a video clip isn't the same thing as watching in person, even if the video quality is good, which a lot of stuff on YouTube isn't. It's really impossible to give an accurate assessment of someone's skating just from watching on a tiny screen. The comments you'd get would be from skaters or fans, with widely varying levels of knowledge. If you're OK with that and can separate the garbage (the majority) from what's useful, then go ahead. But if you want a knowledgeable critique, see if your daughter's coach could talk to one of the judges at her next comp, after the results are posted, of course.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The speed may come once she gets more comfortable doing the spins. Spins can be very scary for lower-level skaters.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Some clubs will arrange critique sessions in which they bring in one or more judges to watch skaters perform programs or test elements outside of a competition or test session and then give comments on what the skater should work on improving in order to score better.

Judges won't give comments on how to make the improvements -- they're not coaches.

If you want input on the technique, you need to work with a coach. That's their job, so they would expect to be paid.

8. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

The speed may come once she gets more comfortable doing the spins. Spins can be very scary for lower-level skaters.
    I have this problem right now. Whenever I push off hard into my two foot spin, I tense up and my left toepick goes in, which stops the spin. Oddly, I'm much less scared of bunny hops and even waltz jumps, even though I've fallen more on them (in fact I've never fallen out of a spin). It just feels weird.