Critic Rex Reed's Personal attack on Melissa McCarthy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Feb 11, 2013.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Wow, Rex....just ignorant. Where are your columns attacking the overweight men? Double standard and very offensive. Time to retire.

Attack the Movie, not the Actress

2. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Huh, I heard about the ruckus, but I didn't hear it was Rex Reed. He's an asshole critic who doesn't deserve anyone's time of day. Moving on! :lol:

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of Rex Reed since the 70's. I didn't know he was still alive.

4. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

He must be perfect then, to look at others and not himself.

5. emason

emason Well-Known Member

He's always been a malicious critic. I have never gotten the sense that he actually likes movies, only that he likes to be obnoxious and ridicule them.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

7. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

What a hateful man! And yeah, where is his vitriol towards overweight male actors?

Good for Richard Roeper for criticizing Reed.

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Not only is it insulting, it's uninformed. McCarthy has had a very long acting career--she's just becoming more of a name relatively recently.

9. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Didn't she win the Emmy last year for Mike and Molly? Amy Poehler made a big deal out of it with all of the female nominees in that category congratulating the winner, which turned out to be Melissa, it was sweet.

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I know Melissa McCarthy is an Emmy winner as well as an Oscar nominee. Who is this Reed douche trying to make a name for himself off of her acheivements? :angryfire

11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

He's always been malicious -- but he hasn't always been a movie critic. :shuffle:

Like aliceanne upthread, I didn't even know Rex Reed was still alive. I did remember that he had a role in that 1970's box office flop, Myra Breckinridge, as Myron, the guy whose post sex-change operation persona is played by Raquel Welch. Perhaps he's never gotten over the critical panning or his failure as an actor. :slinkaway

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Who the heck is Rex Reed?

('nuff said.)

13. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

My thoughts exactly. Maybe he just threw those statements out there to get a reaction and get his name on the air.

14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

As I recall he panned Myra Breckenridge too :lol: Raquel Welch her husband were pissed because they had given him a chance to try acting and he was supposed to be publicizing the movie. (It was summer and I was in high school - I watched a lot of late night television!). I also remember he didn't like Barbra Streisand and thought all the young actresses dressed like slobs.

15. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this movie? I love Jason Bateman, and I think she's hilarious, too. I hope this is good!

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Whatever happened to her??

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

The trailers don't look very good to me, unfortunately.

I think this is the worst kind of review because it doesn't really give any idea of what the movie is like. It's just one big "I hate fat people" and the fat jokes aren't even very good.

18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

She was in a movie that bombed in December ("The Guilt Trip") and is currently working on a new version of Gypsy where she will be playing Mama Rose :cheer2:

19. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Rex and I had the sme chiro in NYC. He was obnoxious in the office, too.

20. Nan

Nan Just me

That's always been his claim to fame, hasn't it? At one itme, it was considered "hip" if I remember correctly.

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've seen this story everywhere, but I don't know who either of these people are...

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

You people who don't know who Rex Reed are make me feel old. :drama:

23. znachki

znachki Active Member

I know - me too.

It seems like every few years he feels the need to write or do something to cause a kerfuffel. He maintained for years that Marisa Tomei was not the correct winner of the Oscar, and that there was a huge cover up.

Rex, Rex, Rex :blah:

24. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Me either.

I haven't seen this movie and have only read the review that appeared in our one statewide newspaper. He gave it a low grade as well but without such hateful comments. The thing that seemed to bother him the most, besides the fact he didn't find it funny, was the implausibility of the things the Jason Bateman character, who is supposed to be a financial adviser in the movie, apparently didn't know about safeguarding his own financial situation.

25. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

You beat me to it.:lol: