Cringe Worthy American Television

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

US television shows that you hope are never seen outside of our borders (though so many of them do air.)

My biggest cringe: MTV's "My Supersweet 16"....

Yours?

PS--If you are outside of the US give us titles you wish we never "shared" with you.

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I just finished watching The Real Housewives of Vancouver. I have never watched any of those shows before, but as a local, I admit to being intrigued. I will probably keep watching because I want to check out the wives going to places I can't afford (or perhaps discover places I haven't heard before).

3. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about this one. There is a "Super Sweet World Class" variant, and I know of two episodes out of the U.K. that were just as bad as what came from the U.S. ;)

4. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Teen Mom. There are 14 year old girls having babies and naming the poor kids after Teen Mom characters. I'm not implying that Teen Mom encourages teen pregnancy, but that it encourages teen moms to name their kids horrible names. Bentley? Really?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

There's :rolleyes: TV everywhere. Have you seen that ridiculous Tamara Ecclestone show? And then there's Big Brother, which was a show of UK origin.

6. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Jersey Shore. Ugh...

7. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

There's awful tv everywhere :lol:
    I remember watching an episode of a British show that followed older teens as they went on holiday and their parents secretly watched their exploits... I think it was called something like Sun, Sex, and Spying Parents? It was trashy to the extreme :yikes:

8. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

It would be FAR easier to list those that are not "cringe-worthy" than those that are. Almost everything on tv is junk, imo.

-Bridget

9. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

The British have the Chawner family o.o. Actually for all the great British drama over the years and British comedy (though can't say it is anything like the 70s-90s). They have a lot of well trash television o.o. Australia has a few too and New Zealand. And I know that unlike the US a lot of this trash is on our main networks.

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I'm also finding this to be the case. A big cable bill every month and very little to show for it. :shuffle:

11. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Followed by its spinoffs/imitators, Brooklyin 11223 (or whatever their zip code is) and Bronx Bad Boys. Seriously, I should care these people exist because.....? (I know they're on because the commercials run on shows like Dance Moms, which is not hugely better, I admit, but yeesh.)

I wish whoever regulates these things would allow cabel and satellite companies to offer custom packaging. It's not AS annoying with DirectTV as with Comcast, where I had to buy a huge sports package to get TWO channels I wanted, but while once in a while I find something amusing on a channel I didn't expect, it would be much easier if I could just pick and choose.

12. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

The endless political debates!

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

No No No--Great Britain is the land of "Downton Abbey" and "Sherlock" and realistic soap operas and beautiful choirs at Christmas. I didn't know "Big Brother" started there. :eek::)

14. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Sounds like you only watch PBS. ;) Plenty of British trash out there - no different than many countries around the world. The US does seem to take it to a new level, though.

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The first time I went to the UK I was :confused: that very few of the shows were the kind that we see on PBS in North America, and that most of the non-news programming was game shows, reality shows, chat shows, etc. - and a lot of them way cheesier than similar-type shows in North America. I thought I must be missing the channel where all the classy stuff was :lol:

16. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

As a little kid, I remember hating the show Three's Company with an unusual amount of passion. My complaint was that every episode was predicated on some insignificant lie and I could not stand to see adults so dishonest for matters of no importance!

I would add The Bachelor/The Bachelorette shows to this list. I watched one episode recently, and I just find the whole concept made me uncomfortable. I wouldn't have been willing to find my husband that way.

17. milanessa

That was a British show first, too. :rofl:

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: I always feel :EVILLE: that I :rolleyes: at some of the names people choose for their children.

Hey I watch Eastenders on my PBS station every Sunday! There's nothing like combining the trashiness of soaps with the classiness of PBS! :lol:

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That's how I felt when I first got BBC America. :)

20. milanessa

I understand some PBS stations show Coronation Street. Not mine. :(

I saw the first episode of Eastenders when it was originally broadcast and watched for a few years but then lost interest. It was never as good as Corrie, though. :wuzrobbed:

21. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

22. floskate

floskate Vacant

Noooooooooooooo we did NOT give the world the reality show plague that is Big Brother. :yikes: Endemol, the Dutch-based production company who invented the show, aired the first ever series in the Netherlands in 1999 a year before UKTV picked up the franchise and started airing it in 2000. Don't blame us!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

That said, there is plenty of utter crap on TV over here and I hope the rest of the world is spared 'The Only Way is Essex', 'Made in Chelsea' and worst of all 'Desperate Scousewives'. :eek: :scream:

23. milanessa

I'd forgotten about a lot of those shows - Krytpon Factor was a favorite but I never saw the US version. Thanks for the memories.

Maybe not Big Brother but remember Fly on the Wall? That was groundbreaking in reality shows, IIRC.

24. floskate

floskate Vacant

Fly on the Wall as in the style or an actual programme called that? I don't recall it if there was one.

25. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Any of the shows with Paris Hilton

26. milanessa

I could have the name wrong but I thought it was the title. I'm fairly sure it was on BBC and had cameras filming the day to day life of a working class family in Reading. Mother, father, 2 daughters - one with a child and live-in boyfriend, and 1 son (?). They all lived together in a council flat.

27. floskate

floskate Vacant

I don't remember that at all but it sounds about right. Actually the first kind of fly on the wall documentary over here started in 1964 and was called Seven Up. It is a documentary focusing on the lives of a group of children aged 7 from a wide variety of social backgrounds. There has been a follow up documentary every 7 years since and the next installment - 56 Up - will air later this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Series

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American daytime soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).

29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I started watching Eastenders 2 summers ago. I can't even remember which storyline hooked me. I think we are up to 2004 episodes now. I've never seen Coronation Street. I've never watched American soaps (well aside from the summer I spent with my grandma who had to watch her stories every afternoon. I was 10 and boy I hated it!!).

What on earth are "Scousewives"? :lol:

30. floskate

floskate Vacant

Coronation Street and Emmerdale (used to be Emmerdale Farm from 1972 until 1989 when they dropped the farm aspect and added lots more sex) are both pretty good quality soaps with sometime ridiculous storylines, but some wonderful comic characters and great writing which reflects everyday life. IMO at least, they are both better than Eastenders which is just depressing and takes itself far too seriously. But growing up in the north of England where both Corrie and Emmerdale are set (Lancashire & Yorkshire respectively), probably makes me a little biased :D

ETA: Desperate Scousewives aka some over made up slappers from Liverpool :scream: