Craigslist scam?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, Apr 13, 2011.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just received 5 emails in pretty quick succession telling me that my ads have been posted. All 5 listed cars for sale and all 5 are in the Baltimore area. I have no car for sale nor do I live anywhere near Baltimore. I don't understand if this is a scam or a glitch in their system. I went to the ad and it is really on craigslist so it's not a fake email. The ad doesn't list my email address or anything related to me in it. Should I be worried? I don't even have a craigslist account although I have posted a free ad before when my boss was looking for a new employee. I don't think anyone can get anything important but just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

2. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It's possible that someone who has an email address similar to yours has been trying to post an ad, and keeps committing the same typo. :eek:

3. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

It's most likely a scam. There has been a major email hacking in the news lately from Epsilon. Here's a list of companies affected by it.

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=3505

I've already had a couple of trusted websites ask if I logged in from a certain city which I'm nowhere near so I think mine may be one of the hacked addresses. I'm looking at changing my email address. You may also want to do some virus checking. I'm getting a computer nerd friend to check out my pc.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

5. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

BigB08822 - something you would like to share with us :shuffle: ;)

6. BigB08822

Hey now, apparently I'm only selling cars!

I did get an email about the Epsilon thing. It seems someone is just using my email to make posts, probably with no intention of selling anything and hoping someone will send money anyway.

7. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Brian just delete. It's most likely a scam. My bank, credit card and grocery store were all hacked and now I get fake email from those places asking me to either download the attachment or click on a link to a fake looking site and put all my info in. I mean the bank one looks really real. Look in your browser and double check the address.

8. BigB08822

The email is definitely not fake. As matter of fact, I just got another email saying one of the postings has been flagged. I guess people are using others emails to post fake ads to make it harder to track them down? The weird thing is the ad itself has an email listed for contact and it isn't mine. :huh:

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Craigslist works in mysterious ways. I did a bad job in wording an ad for a computer monitor and it was ghost-posted, meaning that I could see the listing if I clicked on the link I was given in their email, but it would never show up in the listings if I went to Craigslist directly. The only way to get your listing on Craigslist if your email has been flagged as a ghost-poster is apparently to use another email address. :rolleyes:

If your email was used to list an ad, you'll probably get more spam as a result, but otherwise that's it. It isn't like they'd need any of your financial info to use Craigslist...

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I got a fake selling car email from eBay a long time ago. They said it was a fishing attack. Lately I have been getting dozens of emails from FedEx, UPS, DHL, and other delivery services saying that my package has been mailed and should arrive in 3-10 days. Asks me to click on a link or an attachment for an invoice. I assume it is part of the Epsilon problem.

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The shipment notification ones are the scariest. It's amazing how many people will click on the links. I guess folks forget what they order, or think they can get free stuff. Not so.

12. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Well, that's proof it's not legit in my book.

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I've been getting those too, all going to my spam folder.

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Brian, you should report this to Craigslist. If you point your browser here, you can then click "report spam or scam," fill in the boxes below, and tell them everything you've told us.

15. BigB08822

Thanks. I am going to report this right now. Just opened my inbox and have about 10 new postings. Ugh.