Crafty things that used to be fashionable

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I only discovered today that Hobbytex is still around (I wasn't sure if it still existed). That thing where you used tubes of paint on felt following instructions.

http://www.hobbytex.com.au/

Years ago we used to have a neighbour who taught it. Very 70s.

Any other crafts that you remember from years ago that you care to share?
  2. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

My mom used to do this too, but in the states we called it Artex.
  3. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

4. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

When I was in high school, I learned to do something we called paper tole, where you cut out multiple copies of a picture (like from repeated designs on wrapping paper or something), and then shaped them and layered them with blobs of glue to create a 3-dimensional effect. I never got really into it, but remember doing a Holly Hobby picture for my sister.
  5. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like. I don't think I ever actually turned it into anything, but I sure loved knitting never ending lengths of yarn tubes!

Oh and rug hooking. I used to thing rug hooking was amazing and we even had one hanging in our living room at one point.
  6. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

7. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Do you mean French knitting :)

http://www.sales.fireandfibre.co.uk/html/knitting_shop.html
  8. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Paint by number kits?

I also had a good time as a child making potholders with a metal frame and these elasticized loops you would weave in and out. They made great Christmas gifts for older female relatives!
  9. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

The Perler bead things where you'd iron it to make a piece of colored plastic. :)
  10. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I used to paint those ceramic things. I gave one to my grandmother for Christmas one year and then the next year she sold it at a rummage sale for a quarter :D
  11. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Quilling was a fad for a while - strips of colored paper you twisted into coils and pleats to make pictures.

And there was plastic flower making - you made petal and leaf shapes out of wire then dipped the shaped in jars of plastic goop as if it was bubble soap then let the plastic dry into stained-glass looking things.

Needlepoint is still around.

The childhood craft I wasted a lot of time on was the pot-holder weaving thingies. They sucked as actual potholders because the nylon either melted or didn't protect your hand from the heat but the darned things never wore out. When I was cleaning my mother's kitchen after she died (at 91!) I found two or three of the little squares tucked in a drawer. They make decent hot pads for the counter. :)

My mother also belonged to The Fad-ofThe-Month Club. Every month you got a box with a different kind of craft project. She did a lot of the ones involving yarn or fabric, but I have a cabinet full of unstarted kits for bookends and napkin holders. Something to do when I retire. :)
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Decoupage. I still have a jewelry box that my grandmother made. She did a nice job on it.
  14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I remember back when I was little, purses with wooden handles, where you buttoned on the fabric bag part of the purse, were popular; and a lot of people made the bags that buttoned on.

Crocheting was popular in the 1960 and 1970s, I think. Lots of afghans and ponchos.
  15. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

We went to the same summer camp. ;) And I still remember the smell of those paint-by-number kits, they gave me headaches.

Let us not forget making clay ashtrays. Now there's something I'll bet kids don't do anymore. And although it was more of toy than a craft, Spirograph. My poor mom had squares of geometric designs all over the house thanks to my sister and me.
  16. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

They do still make the same shapelesss clay things that were once interpreted as ashtrays and are now called bowls etc.
    Jodi and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, we had that. Also those "fashion plate" things where you could change the "model's" outfit and then make a pencil rubbing.

God's eyes were the thing at the day camp I went to -- yarn wrapped around popsicle sticks to make a diamond shape.
  18. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Yes, I did French knitting (although my parents were too cheap to get the actual thing, so we had to use clothes pegs :rofl:

These "mako moulages" http://www.critique-world.com/imagespages/mako2.jpg were all the craze in France when I was small. There were the rubber moulds and the plaster would always break off a bit when you took them off.
  19. Patsy

Patsy New Member

Actually, if the small person making the loop-weave pot holders could find COTTON loops, they were pretty decent potholders . . . . if the loops weren't cotton, not so much!
  20. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I once taught 7th grade English in a classroom right next to the art room. The art classes did a string art project every year. Try keeping 7th graders focused when 30 kids next door are all hammering nails into their boards for weeks.

One fad I remember is the sweat shirt modification thing. Take a plain old sweat shirt like the ones at Wal-Mart and fancy it up. Some were made into cardigans with ruffled necks and sleeves. There were many holiday styles. My crafty friend made me one for Christmas. It was white, and she had cut out a bow and flowing ribbon shape from Christmas fabric, ironed it on and outlined it with gold fabric paint. I thought it was the most beautiful thing and wore it proudly. I still have it, packed away. My friend died in 2001.
  21. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I still have a Spirograph! My husband bought it for me a few years ago and every once in a while I take it out and play with it.
    PRlady and (deleted member) like this.
  22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

When I was a child I occasionally did paint by numbers or color by numbers.

There was one particular shade of blue pencil whose number is 13. I don't know the real name of that shade of blue, so whenever I see it (e.g., on a house or a skating dress) I refer to it mentally as "13 blue."
  23. Auntie

Auntie New Member

24. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I loved perler beads, though I always chewed them... They're still around, I can't wait until my nieces are old enough for them :D
  25. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

This wasn't really a fad but I used to do a lot of embroidering. My mother taught me as a child & in the 80's & 90's I did a lot of baby gifts like personalized bibs, baby quilts, & framed birth annoucements.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I still create the occassional paint by number masterpiece. :shuffle:
  27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Oh, I have one of those! My sister and I both had a small one for our bedrooms, and there was a huge one (with snow-encrusted branches and a hole for a star at the top!) in the front hall. I love it. :shuffle:

Shrinky-dinks were popular when I was a kid, as were those weird bead-tray things that you iron over, and the beads melt together to create a shape. I just saw one of those in Michael's not that long ago, too.
    Auntie and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Puff Paints, and anything you could fill with glitter or confetti type things. My friends and I used to decorate shirts, shoes, and fill the clear plastic bows with different bits.

My Aunt and Grandma both had the Ceramic Christmas Trees.
  29. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Hm, as a web color, its name is just "blue." So I guess I'll continue calling it 13 to distinguish it.
  30. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

OMGosh... String art... I loved that! Because it took no artistic talent... and I could do it! I remember making a card that said MOM in string art for mothers day.

And I remember what I called French Knitting now.... we called it corking.
  31. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Clay ashtrays/dinosaurs/pots and various other strange things which my children brought home are all still on display years later :) precious things those :lol: Spirograph, painting by numbers, string pictures, are all still around along with the whip 'n' top which I remember colouring with chalk :)
  32. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I used to be fond of the kiddie stained glass kits, where you'd pour different colors into the metal frames and bake them in the oven until whatever that stuff was in the colors melted to make "glass." I have no idea if they're still around.
  33. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

Anybody else remember the bottle & jar cutter that you would use to cut glass bottles so you could make them into vases? I got one for Christmas one year from a crazy aunt. What a useless little object. (Hmm, do I mean the vase or the aunt? Tough call.)
  34. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Me, too. My parents even have two of my "pieces" framed and hung in their house! And I still have two kits sitting there unopened...
  35. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Does the Bedazzler count?
  36. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

My daughter bought some shrinky-dink Christmas ornaments at a neighbor's garage sale. We proudly display them on the back of the tree. I hadn't thought of shrinky-dinks for years.

My aunt was really into ceramics so we also had a bunch of those trees, along with all sorts of random items that my brother and I loved to paint

I seem to recall spending a lot of time making tissue paper flowers. It was really cool if you could attach them to a pipe cleaner or wire stem.
  37. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Yes, yes! It was the reason I insisted on Mom buying different colors of Kleenex, long before we knew it wasn't environmentally responsible. Mine always came out fluffier than my sister's, which since she was a more talented artist in general, was my lone claim to superiority.

I spent a lot of time on dioramas, too, and at camp on lanyards. My lanyards were really, really bad.
  38. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

39. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I made a batch of over-sized crepe paper poppies to decorated a corner of my dorm room. I thought they were AWESOME! :lol: Not so awesome after they faded in the sun, though.
    Lanyards! I hadn't thought about them in years (decades actually). My lanyards turned out pretty well -- I fondly remember one I made in pink and black, although I never really used one of them after I had made them in day camp.
  40. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

How about macaroni art or bird seed art.

We also did these bracelets out of vinyl strips (usually pastel colors) to make bracelets.

Dolly Dusters.

Christmas bead ornaments.

Felt magnets for the refrigerator. (usually like vegetables, or butterflies...etc)