Courtney Hicks

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Flying Camel, May 8, 2011.

1. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Does anyone know if she is moving up to seniors next year? I would really like to see her in the senior GP. She shows such potential. Do you think she would get 2 slots?
    I think its time for the USFSA to look else where. The current crop of ladies have had their chances. I would like to see the USFSA push some other ladies into the spotlight.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I don't anything for sure, but it seems more logical for Courtney to skate on the JGP this season since she is not guaranteed any Sr. GP assignments based on her Junior Worlds placement (6th) or SB score there (#32). What's the rush? :)

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think Courtney has potential, but also a lot to work on, and given her lack of international experience, it makes far more sense to go on the JGP than the Senior GP.

4. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

IMO, one of the problems that USFSA has is hyping young, up and coming skaters far too much. The pattern that I have seen with their doing so has resulted in skaters imploding because of the implied pressure. That goes for both the men's and ladies' side of the equation. It must be a really uncomfortable spot in which you're set up to be the next "Messiah". I think that USFSA should provide publicity in a shared format, where the overall pool of talent is shown. But USFSA probably will never learn. :(

5. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I hope she stays junior, she really needs to work on her line, presentation, spins, etc. There are too many seniors that would be above her at the moment.

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Courtney should probably stay in JGP but she has tremendous potential. She seems to be a good competitor and she can jump. No doubt she will skate as a senior at Nationals though. But i kind of agree with FlyingCamel the ladies who came up in 2007-2008 just haven't got it done. Rachael is maxed out Wagner always disappoints Zhang is a nonentity at this point and mirai is a heacase. The US is in trouble if those are the skaters in the lead for Sochi. Except Mirai if she gets her had on straight.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I believe John Nicks said that Courtney would skate on the JGP next year. I don't know what she plans to do nationally.

8. Sylvia

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Interesting SP. Has it been addressed before that the music and the dress remind us of .... someone else :shuffle:

But seriously, I agree that she needs a little more time in the Jr. ranks. Her line needs work. but from what I see, it should all come with time and experience. Why inundate the US Senior lady ranks with someone who is not quite there yet?

10. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I am just so tired of skaters like Gilles getting the GP slots. Give them to someone else. Especially getting Skate America. If she gets invited to Skate America again I am going to scream.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Sylvia

12. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

It was intentional. Sasha lent her the dress.

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I second that. Give Mirai Skate America. Anyone but Gillies or Zhang.

14. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Skaters earn their own spots on the GP due to their past performances and achievements.

Or would you like a Sandhu solution to every skater who has the temerity to not be your cup of tea?

15. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Alexei Gilles is WAY below the minimum score for the GP, so the only way she'd get to the GP is a host pick. Her 14th place at Nationals together with her embarrassing 12th place performance at SA 2010 pretty much preclude that.

16. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I wish the USFS would take a hard line on bad flutzes and force junior skaters to remove them from the program until fixed. This kind of a terrible, Bobekian flutz is really going to hurt Courtney long-term if not corrected. The change of edge is so severe that -2 or even -3 is justified.

17. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

I couldn't agree more. She is getting too heavy and it's time for her to go to college. It seems like the broadmoor kids get the benefit of the doubt.

18. Sylvia

Lutz (double or triple) is the required solo jump in the Junior SP this coming season so hopefully Hicks is working on improving her entry edge for the JGP this fall.

19. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Especially where the GP slots are getting cut down next season. Her only international competition was Junior Worlds where she finished 6th, which though respectable did not earn her a medal or a garaunteed GP spot. She'd likely only get 1 assignment if she opted to do the senior circuit, and may be at risk of not even getting any, whereas if she does JGP I have no doubt she could earn 2 assignments and probably a trip to the final too.

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Courtney isn't ready for SGP yet. She wouldn't do very well. She still has a lot to work on in the PCS dept., namely her line, posture, extension, musicality..etc. She will do quite well on the JGP though.

Does anyone know if Adelina Sotnikova or Elizaveta Tuktamysheva plan to move up?

21. pinky166

Yes someone posted in the Russia thread a month or so ago that both girls will compete on the SGP next season.

22. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Awesome! I can't wait to see what happens here.

23. Sylvia

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Thanks. I hope Liza does keep that SP. It was fun and quite different.

Back to how this affects Courtney, well, it's great for her. The Russians were definitely the biggest competition on the JGP..so now she could really have some success there. Of course, Shoji JPN and Li CHN will probably both be back, in addition to Baga and Siraj!

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Well, there are more Russians like Julia Lipnitskaya who will be eligible for the JGP next year, who I expect to do well. Japan's Satoko Miyahara could do quite well, too.

26. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Of course, and Agafonova. Is Ovcharova back and training as well?

Also Miyabi Oba and Polina Shelepen. There are so many, it's unbelievable.

27. pinky166

Shelepen is doing senior GP, she was going to do it last season, but then decided against it when there was talk that the age limits might be changed and there was risk she would not make the age cutoff.

Ovcharova is training again and TAT said at nationals that she will likely compete on the JGP next season. Also Rosa Sheveleva will likely do another season on the JGP where she has yet to go to the final or compete at junior worlds. There are a lot of talented other Russian girls as well: Polina Korobeinikova, Alexandra Deeva, Juulia Lepitniskaya, etc. The field should still be pretty deep, especially when you factor in the talented American skaters likely to go in addition to Courtney such as Siraj, Lam, Dinh, Kulgeyko, etc.

28. Sylvia

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Sure. ;)

Back to Hicks, it is clear that she will have a lot of competition this year from skaters from all over the world! But that 3-3 will hold her in good stead. The ladies who can do a 3Lz definitely have the edge though. Courtney is one of them, but she needs to fix that edge.

It's shaping up to be another exciting and unpredictable JGP. :watch:

30. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Courtney was a beast in Greensboro. I found her skating exciting, but I think that was dependent on the 3/3s and some really cool spins. I find she lacks presence on the ice, but I'm sure that will come as she has the necessary ingredients to be great. I would really like to see her do some programs that are less generic, but I don't know the last time I saw something super interesting come out of the Nicks camp.