Country Star Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, May 3, 2010.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Chely hasn't been a star since 2003 or so. I haven't even heard much about her in the past 5 years. I liked her music though, it was a pity her popularity waned the way it did.
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And here I thought Kenny Chesney had found another way to promote his new DVD :p
  4. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

So much for the buzz that it was a major Hollywood action star... color me unphased.
  5. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

She had one big hit and that's it. Yes I used to listen to her when it was on the radio but she hasn't been that popular. I am a bit surprised that she is lesbian.. She looks very feminine.. I always thought Wynonna was lesbian.
  6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

:rofl: me too. ;)
  7. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when I saw this thread. I was like, "Kenny Chesney? If so, finally" :lol:
  8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Is Kenny Chesney really gay?:lol:
  9. missflick

missflick New Member

Lesbians can't be feminine? :p
  10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I knew it would be a nobody who needed the attention! Disappointed but I knew better...
  12. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Desperate actions for a washed up career? What some people will sell their souls for.
  13. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Interesting the names that were being discussed In the rumour mill before the news was confirmed- namely, Shelby Lynne and Teri Clark
  14. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I don't think one has anything at all to do with the other.

Wynonna looks as feminine as can be. If that's what you're implying.

Never heard of this singer. I too thought it was to be someone a little more famous from all the hype.
  15. missflick

missflick New Member

16. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Newsweek has a good interview with her. http://www.newsweek.com/id/237409

The five reasons she gave for coming out are quite compelling, and they show what gay people have to struggle with on a daily basis. Some straight people have no idea, as some of the comments in this thread clearly show.

I'm really happy for her, I hope more people will decide to live openly and it not longer will be considered newsworthy. It'll be normal.

:rolleyes: You're as clueless as you've ever been.
  17. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Good for her for feeling comfortable enough to come out, but had she ever heard of K.D. Lang? Chely is not the groundbreaker.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Is K.D. Lang considered a country singer?

Anyway, I don't think Chely wanted to be considered "groundbreaker" of any kind. Even if she wasn't technically first, it doesn't change the fact that country music it's still a very unwelcoming place for openly gay singers.

But the times are changing. Even Christian music singers are coming out (Jennifer Knapp)
  19. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I don't think she is, nor was she when she came out. I also believe her career's always been a bit more unconventional than most. She wasn't tied in with such a conservative group, but I could be wrong. Just going on memory.

Good for Chely, whether she's a trailblazer or not. That takes serious courage.
  20. overedge

She was more of a punk singer with a country gimmick, if that makes sense.
    Because she was running around in cut-off cowboy boots and thrift-store cowgirl outfits, kind of making fun of the whole country girl singer idea, the country establishment wanted *nothing* to do with her (and this was long before she was officially out). Her audiences were mostly hipsters who didn't mind listening to country songs - especially kind of punked up ones - but who would never go to a real country show or buy a real country album.
    If she didn't have such an amazing voice and hadn't done some incredible versions of country standards - and hadn't evolved past the punk-cowgirl thing - the country establishment would still be staying far away from her IMHO.....
  21. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

If Chely stays positive and true to herself this will help her career even though she didn't come out for that reason. Most country fans want you to be real as you sing true country songs. I'm not talking about the establishment but the fans. A lot of fans I know talked about how she didn't seem quite real and associated that with being a fake and seeming fake is something they hate.
  22. overedge