Coughlin/ Denney This Season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aftershocks, Sep 27, 2011.

1. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I think that the expert commentators in this thread (and many others - see below) should elect a committee, get contact information for coaches and choreographers, and present all your findings and recommendations to them.

Our pairs (and in other threads, other skaters) would become miraculously better in a very short time if that happened, would they not? No? I don't understand... ;)

(BTW, this isn't the only thread in which I've been tempted to post something similar to this. It seems that most posters who offer extensive criticism and suggestions to all sorts of skaters must really be in the wrong profession).

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

If no one had an opinion, FSU would be a very boring. If everyone was posting smiling smilies and saying how great all the skaters are all the time...the place would have shut down long ago.

3. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I agree this team screams "Epic Movie Soundtrack" from some action type flick. Get rid of the schoolteacher bun on Caitlyn and bring back the shag. I too thought they would go for a different look than the slow, classical boring stuff that does not showcase their strengths but emphasizes what isn't there.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  4. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

:respec:

Sorry, but its pretty obvious when all the programs coming out of one training area are bland vs. all the programs coming from another are quite good, clearly the problem is not the skaters. There's nothing wrong with those who want to offer suggestions to improve. Maybe those with a problem with such discussion can start another forum where everyone gives technical reports and praise only.

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I have no doubt in my mind that skaters troll message boards trying to get information on themselves or on other skaters. Just to see what people on here think of them, warts and all. Maybe they listen and maybe they don't.

6. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I hope you noticed the ;) in my post. OF COURSE people post opinions here, and I, least of all people, am not saying that nothing but praise and idolatry should be posted - far from it. That's isn't my point at all.

My point is that most everyone here (here meaning in competition, practice watching, whatever type of threads) provide very specific suggestions for improvements in all areas from choreography to costuming to jump selection/layout, COP friendlness, etc. I am actually very impressed with the suggestions.

But here is my real question, and I am quite serious in asking it - why is it that the "armchair" posters (no disrespect intended) seem to be so much more knowledgeable about such things, and able to provide such a volume of seemingly logical suggestions, that the professionals in coaching and choreography and actual skating are coming up with on their own?

I was only half-joking when I commented that many posters seem to be in the wrong profession. It seems to me that some of you could do far more competent jobs than the "professionals".

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Distance and the ability to provide objective analysis. This is not to say that the people here across the board are always right or better than those doing it or anything like that. But at times they are. And when you throw money and personal relationships and location and other priorities in the mix, things get muddied, and its not always possible for skaters to seek other choreographers and ballet classes and all those things. As fans of skating who have seen a lot, if someone asks, what can skater X do to improve, many FSUers can provide solid advice. And skating parents and coaches totally run the gamut from extremely educated to quite ignorant about the history of skating. Some coaches are in it more to pass on a lifelong love of the sport and others probably a bit more for the financial aspect so you get all kinds of stuff going on with their students and then each pupil picks things up differently also. Some coaches have had successful technical skaters with lacking presentation, but the skaters stay with the coach because of convenience and good results. So what can you do? I just think we have to hope that skaters will eventually do what is best for them and some will improve and others won't and that's much of the reason why the sport is so fascinating to watch unfold every season.

VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I totally agree that Denney/Coughlin are better suited for Epic/Action/Suspense Movie or game soundtracks. It seemed like they tried micro-baby steps in their FD by picking a guitar version of that song.

If I was in charge of them, my choice would be things like Battlestar Galactica (Kara remembers theme start at 1:20 to hear the drama), Hanna/Tron soundtracks, Mortal Kombat, Alien, Terminator. I would even suggest dark/horror movie soundtracks too like Rosemary's Baby, The Crow, etc.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Respect on the elements but they can't really skate (in the basic skating sense), they still move in a rather truck-driverish fashion and their choreography couldn't be more basic.

Seeing the PCS they are getting is making my blood boil.

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I could live without the electric guitar Nessun Dorma. Strangest instrument ever to take up the melody. . .

They should totally do a Matrix program or something. She could get the shag haircut back and just goop it up a la Trinity. :)

11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I actually think their SP is pretty solid right now, both elements and presentation.

The FS needs some work.

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Sure, but as others have posted already, it might have been better for them to vary the style of their lp. ITA re more dramatic, movie soundtrack music with Denney bringing back the haircut and energy that made her standout. She looks bland lyrical wannabe right now. Maybe their team listened too much to the initial criticism from fans re Y/C being so wonderful, and Y so lyrical and balletic, and aspersions cast at D for lacking polish and lyrical qualities. If they had the gumption to break up a partnership to form a new team, why not be bolder in doing what suits the new team instead of caving to criticism.

ITA :respec:

Re the Hartsells, shan, I too enjoyed watching them for their speed and attack (hint, hint, D/C), even though they were not especially my favorite pair team back then.