Costumes on ice

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by reut, Oct 10, 2012.

1. reut

reut Active Member

We finished publishing my "project" about skating costumes:
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2012costumesonice1.html
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2012costumesonice2.html
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2012costumesonice3.html

Initially it was supposed to be just a short article with a few quotes, but somehow I got more and more questions and more skaters I wanted to talk to about costumes. No quotes from pair skaters, not intentionally, just somehow it came out this way.

Hope you'll enjoy the read. Also it will be interesting for me to know more opinions and examples of different costumes on ice, which you like, which you noticed, which you hate, which you remember from the past or which already caught your attention this season. Who among skaters do you think is "the most well dressed"? (Someone who comes to my mind immediately is Nathalie P├ęchalat, for example, pity I didn't talk to her) Are costumes important for you? Can they influence your impression from the program, from the skater?

2. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

I love it! You'll have my feedback once I'll finish reading it all

3. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

A very nice read. I'll post a link on my blog, if you don't mind.

4. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the article, really interesting read. :)

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Wonderful, enjoyed reading them!

6. reut

reut Active Member

Thank you everyone. Glad you liked it.

Pity people didn't want to share their opinions and memories about some skating costumes.
    Especially because some recent ones deserve to be mentioned. For example, costumes Aljona and Robin wore. :D I will definitely try to talk to them about this if I have a chance.

7. lulu

lulu New Member

Speaking of past costumes, in retrospect I never go the big deal over Ilia's Rhapsody in Blue costume-greatest costume of all time? No. But certainly not the worst either.

As for costumes in general, for me it is interesting to consider to what degree costumes affect how I feel about a program. The first time I watch a program, even if I try not to, the costume does inevitably factor into how I feel about a program. However, the more I watch the same program, the less important the costume becomes to me. I'm able to 'block' out a bad costume if the choreography & performance are good. At the same time, a great costume can't save a lackluster program.

That being said, I love looking at skating costumes-ice dance costumes in particular. :)

8. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Uhm I'm not that good at talking about costumes, because I'm absolutely not into fashion and I am more interested in the music that the skater uses, the cuts he makes etc etc. Anyway, I prefer simple costumes, that relate with the program. This is why I like Ice Dancing, usually the costume is part of the program, while in Ladies I often find that the costume a girl is wearing does not relate to her program theme. My favourite costume of this season is Kaitlyn Weaver's FD costume. it's beautiful and unique, and it makes her look like a Greek statue, which I guess was the purpose of it.