Coronation Ace

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by babbyrabbit, Mar 11, 2011.

1. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

Is the Coronation Ace really worth all that money? Everyone keeps saying that this blade is the way to go.

My child is a PreJuv Moves/Preprelim freeskate skater working on all her single jumps (some mastered some not).

Is there anything else out there comparable. Just seems amazing to me that a 40.00 blade was fine and then we go straight to a 200.00 one.

THanks for the input

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I started skating most seriously as an adult, but I have used Coronation Aces almost exclusively, for singles, moves/figures and dance. They are a great all purpose blade and are very easy to get used to.

Unfortunately (IME at least) it doesn't seem that there's much available between the learn-to-skate boots and blades and even the lower-priced serious skater boots and blades. If your daughter is planning to continue skating for a while, the investment in the Coronation Ace might be worth it, as staying with a lower-quality blade might have an impact on her progress. (As in, if she doesn't have adequate equipment, she might learn to do things wrong or might not be able to do things if she is struggling with her boot and/or blade).

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

What boots and blades is she wearing now?

4. Sierra

Sierra New Member

When you think of the real high level blades that are like $500, $200 is actually more on the low end.

My skating improved quite a bit when I got CorAces. Once I adapted, all of my turns and edges were so much better, because the Aces allowed me to get a 'real' edge. My fear of toe jumps went away, and in fact a toe jump (flip) is now my best jump. It also helped my spins. My Aces have a 70+ hour sharpening life, too, though your mileage will vary depending on the skater and the ice.
    Before the Aces I had a 'low freestyle' blade.

I'm not an expert on boots and blades and such, but I think your daughter's level is about the right time to switch to Ace? Trying to remember back here.. I switched to Aces in early June '10, and at the time I was working on salchow and backspin, though not much later I began flip, loop, and sit. I had already had my new skates for two months before switching the blades so the transition was not bad at all since I didn't have to deal with new boots too.

They're reputed to be great blades through singles and most doubles.
    As for comparable blades MK Professional is nearly identical, and Ultima/Riedell may have 'clones' too though can't speak for how similar they are. They all cost about the same though.

5. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Coronation Aces are excellent all-purpose blades that will get her through freestyle, moves and dance to a fairly high level. She will be able to spin better and do footwork (moves) better on them than on lower level blades.

Think about it this way. It's the difference between driving a four-cylindar car and a six-cylinder car. The four does the job, but the six does it so much easier, smoother and better.

6. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

you can't go wrong with the coronation ace. i managed to land clean axels on those blades :cheer2: ... sigh, those were the days when i was still skating.

7. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

As someone said upthread, the other comparable blade is MK Professional. They are nearly identical, except the Coronation Ace has a slightly more evil looking toe pick (skate fitter showed me both when I was buying skates). But the price is about the same as well. Basically, they're the blades you get once you start to take things a bit more seriously, hence the leap between the beginner blades and the next level up.

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The MK Double Stars and the Wilson Majestic blades cost under $150 and are fine through singles and axels. My kids skated on Double Stars for a year and their edge jumps and spins improved from the Mark IV blades, I think because the rocker radius was smaller on the Double Stars. (Mark IV=8', Double Stars=7')

I changed their blades to Coronation Aces when they started Ice Dance because they're better all-around blades. Almost no transition time, btw. Because they're so popular, it's pretty easy to find good deals on new and barely-used Coronation Aces and MK Professional blades. (The two blades are pretty much the same, and are sold at the same price point in most pro shops/stores.)

The price difference between Double Stars and JW Coronation Aces is around $50, though. Given her Moves level, I'd suggest getting the Aces now since she can stay on Aces through double jumps.

The retail on Coronation Ace and MK Professionals is around $210, but I've seen new ones for sale as low as $175 recently.
    Riedell has a new clone coming out called the "Eclipse Mist" blade, but the MSRP is $229, so no savings there unless you find a good deal.

While Ultima says their Legacy blade is a clone, they also say that they have an 8' rocker, whereas the Aces/Pros/Mist blades have a 7' rocker.
    YMMV, but some people say they're fine, especially if the skater's already using an 8' rocker. They are less expensive, retailing for around $170.

There are three things that make adjusting to new blades tricky:
    . Rocker Radius - your DD's going from ??? to 7'
    . Rocker Profile - Some blades have more prominent rockers, which make spins and turns easier.
    . Toerake - Blades with larger toerakes take some getting used to, but often eliminate toe-in problems.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  9. dbny

dbny New Member

babbyrabbit - I sent you a PM about Coronation Aces.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Many of the kids in my rink go from the cheapo blades to the Ultima Protege for their double jumps. It is a bit less expensive than the Coronation Ace, and those on it seem to like it. Ultima's are very popular here- many skaters eventually move up to the matrix blades.

(I think the Ultima Legacy is the same as the Protege with a cross-cut pick).

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have used Coronation Ace for years. I now use Coronation Dance. A really good all-purpose blade and very reasonably priced compared to the others out in the marketplace.

I see so many people spend hundreds on blades when really Coronation Ace would be fine for them.

12. babbyrabbit

91LS and some blade that came on it. I think its Excel

13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The Wilson Excel has a 7' rocker radius, so she'll be fine on the Double Stars, Majestic or the Coronation Ace.

I would go with the Coronation Ace - I think it'll help with her Moves as well since she's a higher level in Moves than in FS. You can buy them to fit end-to-end on her new boots, so when she outgrows them, you have a shot at being able to move the blade to another pair.

14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Well, a $40 blade really isn't "fine", it's manageable and given your daughter's test level, probably holding her back a bit. A $200 blade will last longer and improve your child's skating. My theory is, you're spending so much money on ice time and coaching, why would you then skimp on the essential equipment? Let her skate in tights with holes for a bit if need be ... skates are that important.

$200 is frankly cheap for good-quality blades. I'm on Senior moves and Adult Gold FS, doing axels and a few doubles, and my blades (Phantoms) were $400. And that's not even a top blade, like Gold Seal that are running close to $600.

15. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

If you are paying for your child to have private lessons, then a good part of that money is going to waste by letting her skate in 40 dollar blades. There's really only so much you can do with those.

16. sparkle87

sparkle87 New Member

It's definitely worth it having the Coronation Ace, it's an excellent blade. Those are the blades that I started to use when I was working on my single jumps. When I started landing double jumps, I upgraded to Pattern 99's that cost 500$, so 200$ isn't that bad of a price for a blade. Skates and blades are the most important equipment in figure skating and wearing the wrong boots or blades can hold your child from learning new moves.

17. babbyrabbit

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The blades on the skates now should have a size on them. I just looked at my old blades and ordered the same size when I upgraded from the blades that came with the boot to a nicer blade.

19. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

20. babbyrabbit

Well dd old boots were 2.5 and have 8 3/4 blade. These are 3.5 in size and only measure a 9. I cant imagine ordering the same size blade for a bigger boot. Now hopefully when she goes up in size again we have this problem :) And she can reuse the current blade I am about to buy!! haha

21. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Just get the plain Coronation Ace blade, the K-pick option widens the toepick area, to make toe jumps (allegedly) more secure. Good technique does the same thing.

If you want to be able to move the blade to the next-new boot, measure the boot end to end and that's the blade size.
    You can't make it any longer or it would be dangerous.

There's no guarantee that the new blade will fit her next-new pair of boots, you understand. It just takes one wild growth spurt or a change in boot model to put those plans aside.

22. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I believe my dd moved to Coronation Aces when she started working on the Axel. Before that she had GAM blades - they've changed all the names so I'm not sure what they are called now. They were just fine for all the singles and a lot less expensive. One thing about the Coronation is that we have found they hold a sharpening much better but don't count on reusing them on new boots. In 7 years of skating we have never been able to reuse blades.

Slightly OT, but when should one move on from Coronation Aces? I'd love some opinions. DD now is landing up to double flip, has landed double lutz but not at all consistently. Is it time to upgrade and to what?

23. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I'd say it's time. She'll need something with a bigger toe pick. Gold Star, Pattern 99, Coronation Comets and Phantoms are all popular choices for mid- to high-level freestyle.

One thing to keep in mind is the radius of the Ace is 7', so she may not want to change to a 8' radius — sometimes it can affect jumps and spins. MK blades are all 7' radius. Comets are very flat (8.5'). Also look at heel stanchion height.

24. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Even more important than the rocker radius is the rocker profile, or shape. She can easily move up to a blade with an 8' radius as long as it has a similar rocker profile as the Coronation Ace. I went from the MK Professional (7') to MK Gold Star (7') to Wilson Gold Seal (8') and had zero adjustment on jumps and spins when switching to the Gold Seal because it had the same rocker profile as the Gold Star. But the 8' rocker on the Gold Seal made the blade feel more stable and it gave me better glide over the ice, so I can see why most advanced skaters prefer the 8' rocker.
    Of the popular 8' rocker blades, I'm not sure which one has a profile most similar to the Coronation Ace. Maybe your daughter's coach could help you compare it to the Wilson Pattern 99 and Wilson Gold Seal and see which seems closer. I would personally avoid the Coronation Comets, though; they look like they are so flat that they would be very challenging to spin on!