Corey Haim Just Died

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Mar 10, 2010.

1. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/entertainment&id=7322384

They're saying drug overdose

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Sad, but no surprise. He's been circling the drain for some time now. Too bad, he was so young.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

He was so troubled, this wasn't unexpected, but it's so sad.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

There always seems to be so many people around when these kid stars are making coin, but once they get into trouble, no one seems to be around...IIRC he was on True Hollywood Story a few years back, and his parents had pretty much written him off.

5. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

So sad. :(

6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I know this was not unexpected. But there are so many young celebrities out there who are in similar situations. How many really talented young people have died tragically, from accidental overdoses, in the last several months/years? This is incredibly sad, and sadder still because we can probably expect others to die in the same manner. I know that "show business" is a tough industry and life, but isn't anyone paying attention to these young, vulnerable people? I also know this happens to "ordinary" people as well, and we just don't hear about it. Is it me, or is dying from drug overdoses becoming more common? Is it that it was covered up in the past? It's just so senseless and sad. Are we fooling ourselves with D.A.R.E. programs? Probably :(. What does it take to really teach kids about drugs? How do we make them understand that it's not always something you can just try or do occasionally? There are even new reports out about marijuana use. That frequent use can cause chronic psychosis. As in paranoia so intense that it looks like what John Nash experienced. :(

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hopefully now he is at peace. Thanks for the memories. R.I.P.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

It's really hard, being a former child star. A friend of mine is a former child star - he'd worked under an assumed name, so he's able to just be himself now. He was big back in the 1980s, though. Kind of a tiny heartthrob. He was actually kind of lucky - his career was longer than that of most kids, as he worked until he was around age 19, transitioning from child star to teen heartthrob.

He's told me that it was really, really hard, when that "transition" time came. It's not that he didn't want to keep acting - its that he was no longer offered the roles, because he wasn't that cute boy-turned hot teen any longer. And it's not that he doesn't have the chops - he does. He's seriously good. But... really, by the time he was of a certain age, his career was over. He did, in his 20's, change his acting name to his real name, and he did work in theater as any journeyman actor might, but he never got back to what he had as a kid in film and tv. He's now retired from acting, doing other things, but to be honest, he's kind of messed up. He's a great guy, sweet as heck, but he's troubled.

He's told me that growing up on film and tv, drugs were *everywhere*. He was exposed to stuff that most of us have never even heard of until we're nearly adults, and he saw it as normal by age 8, because on set, it *was* normal. IMO, it'd take one extremely involved and grounded parent to keep a kid on track through all that, and a very supportive, sane, and grounded group of actors and etc. around him. The likelihood of having all that fall into place...

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

(((your friend))). I understand what you're saying, and know it's all true. What is really awful is that it's accepted. And aren't the terms "grounded parent" and "child star parent", by definition a contradiction? The "stage" parents I dealt with, when I worked in advertising, would give you nightmares. And it's not just "show business", I've seen it in modeling, skating, other sports, many fields where your career is over as a teen. It seems that society eats them up and spits them out when they are no longer what they want.

10. SoNaoWat?

SoNaoWat? New Member

This is so sad, but as others have said, not unexpected. I just hate to hear it. When you have someone who is so obviously troubled, you are rooting for them to overcome their problems and when you hear that they've passed away, it's so disappointing. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I always keep hoping for the best for people like Corey, and sometimes it happens, but most often it doesn't. Such a tragically short life. He was about my age, and it makes me get all morbid and wonder how much time I have left.

Thanks for the memories. R.I.P. Corey.

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

(((((((((((Lucas))))))))))) I loved that movie.

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

At that point, who could blame them?

13. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

There is problem with the expectations of that generation . . . my generation . . . so sad :fragile:

I still remember him from Lucas.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  14. lise

lise Well-Known Member

oh my gosh!! That is horrible!!

My thoughts are with his family right now and i hope he has peace where he is now. I know from reading and watching the reality show that he had many problems.

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Well, considering that he wouldn't have had stardom (and the problems that came from it) at an early age without their involvement or at least consent, probably a lot of people.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  16. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'm sad to hear he lost his battle with drug addiction, if it is what is being reported.

Its unfortunate, but I barbtoob, I think drug addiction just doesn't effect our generation. It effects all generations. My grandparent's generations, they died of drug overdoses too. Its a personality and probably a genetic issue. Some people's personality and maybe genetic makeup are more prone to addiction than others.

17. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

OMG, I forgot he was Lucas! I remember that movie well. Awww... :(

18. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Yep. I said to a friend just the other day that they should change our name from Generation X to Generation Effed.

19. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

So sad.

License to Drive is one of my fave movies.

20. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

sad. and totally not unexpected, which to me sort of makes it sadder. if even non-famous people sort of saw this one coming, you would think someone out there would have tried to reach out to him. maybe they did though, who knows?

21. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I watched a few episodes of "The Two Corey's" where he was living with Corey Feldman and his wife, and it seemed like Feldman did plenty of reaching out. The unfortunate thing is that you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

22. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

It was sadly inevitable. I wonder if the Oscars will snub him too. RIP Corey, I had a monster crush on you when I was 12. :(

23. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm sad to hear this. I knew he was a child actor but only saw him on "Thirtysomething" where he played Melissa's younger (but adult) boyfriend.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Such a well-made movie. I can watch it over and over.

25. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I couldn't even watch that Two Coreys. The clips I saw just looked too tragic.

Poor Corey. Such a sad life :(

26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

ITA. There were just different drugs, and also there wasn't the same help/recognition for addiction problems that there is now (and while that isn't even close to being enough, at least it exists). So in some ways things were even worse.

27. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

May he RIP....
    Addition is such a terrible thing to beat.

28. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that was Corey Parker, no?

29. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

Yes

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The name is familiar but those movie titles and shows don't ring a bell. But then again I wasn't in the country in the 80s. Anything that he'd done in the 90s that was famous?