Cooking a Turkey

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanfan1818, Oct 8, 2011.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions :cheer2:

I soaked the turkey in salt water to brine it, 12 hours for a 12-lb bird, and then brushed melted butter under the skin of the top of the turkey before baking. I covered the bird with cheese cloth and basted it every hour with a stock and butter mixture. I had chopped carrots, celery, onions, and leeks in the bottom of the pan sauteing in the stock mixture.

For gravy, I put the sauted vegetables in a food processor and added it to the stock/juice from the pan heating in a saucepan; the veggies thickened the gravy.

I had a lovely turkey dinner with potatoes au gratin and baked spaghetti squash, and there are two bags of turkey in the fridge and nine in the freezer for the next couple of months. Whew, first turkey down!

2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Wheee - sounds like a great meal.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm salivating just reading your post!
    I'm glad it went so well.

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We do upside-down for the majority of the cooking, then flip him with about 1/2 hour to go. That way, we don't have to baste or do anything to prevent over browning.

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

How do you keep the breast skin from sticking to the pan and tearing when you turn it over?

6. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We have a non stick rack... a cheap one from Target of some other discount store. When we flip, we use a 2nd rack (not non-stick). Kind of like using a plate to flip a cake.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I use a rack and "paint" the bird with a mixture of olive oil, paprika, salt, and herbs before sticking it in the oven.

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Thanks. My roaster is non-stick, but the rack definitely is not. I've used olive oil and herbs/veggies before, but there's always that little bit that sticks. Once the skin is broken, the juices are lost. I'll look for a pair of non-stick racks, thanks.

FWIW, I always make stuffing on the side - I think that's "dressing," right? I started doing it because my ex-SIL was a vegetarian and that created another dish she could share at the table.

Instead of stuffing the bird, I put in aromatics: onion, garlic, celery, carrots and lemons (rolled and poked.) Not only does it smell wonderful while it cooks, I use them in the stock pot after dinner. I really like chicken or turkey soup with lemon. My MIL always added cheese to give the soup a tang, but I use lemon now.

9. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Yes, it's dressing. Stuffing isn't stuffing unless it's actually stuffed into something.

Just like tomatoes dried in a hydrator are just dried tomatoes. They are only sun-dried tomatoes if you actually dry them in the sun.