Contenders under 21

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by figsrus, May 18, 2010.

1. figsrus

figsrus New Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

FYI, there's already a potential Sochi men's contendors discussion going on at: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73568

ETA: Never mind -- I now can view Universal Sports' photo galley of Under 21 figure skaters. It's obviously not a comprehensive photo gallery for all 4 disciplines. ;)

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  3. elif

elif Active Member

only ice dancers on the list is Ilinykh&Katsalapov :confused:

4. csparkles

csparkles New Member

Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier might have something to say about that, since they are 19 and 18, only in their 2nd season of senior, and 7th in the world.

5. elif

elif Active Member

but they are still look like (skate like) junior. Chock&Zuerlein and Monko & Khaliavin should be on the list.

6. Eris

Eris New Member

Elena and Nikita :respec:

7. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Gao, Zawadzki, Kwak are on the list and Nagasu is not...

8. Eris

Eris New Member

may be she is too old for that list?:D

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

This is crazy because I/K aren't even the best of the junior Russian dancers. Monko/Khaliavin are superior in every respect (line, musicality, edges, etc.), IMO. Looking at the list, it appears that UniversalSports simply cut-and-pasted the names of medalists at Junior Worlds, LOL!

Kwak, Murakami, Zawadski, Sui/Han, Rippon -- absolutely.

As for the lovely Ksenia Makarova, who is on the list, UnivSports appears to be out of touch with what's happening with Russian ladies right now. Makarova reigns supreme right now and maybe next year but should be easily overtaken eventually by the Little Whizzes Tuktamysheva, Shelepen, Solnikova, etc. by 2012.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I could not disagree more. I/K are just as fast, move with much more ease across the ice, have much cleaner footwork and musicality in spades. I/K also beat M/K at JW by about 20 pts, so their inclusion in the list over M/K makes sense in that respect.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Probably the person who compiled the list doesn't follow dance and pairs too closely, so (s)he just mentioned the world junior champions from these disciplines.

It is way too early to speculate about Sochi anyway.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Ladies: Nagasu, by far, but wait, she's not on the list???--Zawadski, Murakami, Gao, and all of the Russian jumping beans. Hopefully none of these ladies undergo a Kimmie transformation.

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ladiezz:

USA: Nagasu, Gao, maybe Zawadzki or Baga

Russia: Makarova, Tuktamysheva, Ovcharova, Sotnikova, Birukova, Shelepen, Agafonova (pairs?), Lepitniskaya, etc, etc

Japan: Murakami, Fujisawa, Imai

Korea: Kwak hopefully :)

Germany: Hecken - she was wonderful at worlds

Finland: Beata Papp maybe

Canada: Charbonneau, Casarsa maybe (coached by Orser ;) )

14. FridaCat

FridaCat New Member

I'd add the Shibutani's to the list (she's 15, he's 19).

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, you know, YuNa Kim is also under 21. :p

16. blarney01

blarney01 New Member

For the USA I'd add the girls that are competing at the lower levels right now. Many of them are the complete package...jumps, spins, musicality. The Novice Ladies showed how talented are up and coming ladies are. I think we will have fresh faces at the next olympics:)

17. pinky166

You're right, I was very impressed with the top 3 girls in novice this year at nationals (Keiser, Cain, Kulegyko) , their scores were much higher than Kiri Baga's winning score at 2009 nationals and she made quite a splash on the JGP this season. Of course, puberty is the question, but Cain is turning 15 this summer and Kulegyko is 14 and both look tall and pretty grown up. Hope to see them on the JGP in the coming season!

18. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Kulegyko is a doll. I met her at a skate shop. So cute!

She's a lot taller than me, I wonder if she'll grow anymore.

19. pinky166

She looked very pretty from what I could tell. About how tall is she? Given that she's 14, she may grow a couple more inches but likely not much more than that, and sometimes girls are pretty much done growing by 14. You don't see many elite skaters today above 5'7", but their are a few good 5'7" skaters (Kostner, Phanuef, Gilles) though they all have some consistency issues, but 5'4"-5'6" seem to be fine heights in the skating world, Yu Na, Mao, Shizuka are all about 5'5", Kiira, Ksenia, Agnes all about 5'6".

20. aliona22

aliona22 Member

Kulgeyko has some amazing SS. Her free skate this year was :inavoid:

21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Kulgeyko was my favorite among the novices :)

22. pinky166

Me too :). Cain was good too, but I think she's even better in pairs,and Kesier is cute but still very young and cutesy. Katarina was more mature and sophisticated with lots of flair. Hope she can get JGP assignments this season though I know that may be difficult to ask for...

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Did you see this article in her local San Diego paper back in February around the time of the Olympics? http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/25/teen-skater-dreaming-of-2014-olympics/

24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia!

25. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Certainly the list is not exhaustive.

26. aliona22

aliona22 Member

I wonder if she has dual citizenship

27. pinky166

^^ you mean in Uzbekistan? Maybe now Gizmo can finally retire :lol:!

28. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

29. pinky166

Thanks! She's so lovely, seems like a nice girl too. I'm excited about this girl, she has great line and extensions and at a young age already has a good feel for emoting to her music, hope she has a great season!