Contacts that make eyes appear larger

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by orbitz, Jul 5, 2010.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Silly me, I thought that was some kind of special effects done on the computer or something.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Bizarre. I predict a lot of eye infections!

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Why would these contacts be any worse than regular ones?

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

In the U.S. you can only get contacts from your eyes doctor. These "beauty" contacts can be ordered from the internet and worn by anyone without any pre eyes examinations. Your eye sights are too important to be taking chances like this, I think. The first question is who control the qualities of these contacts? If some manufacturer produces a cheaper version, don't you think more people will then buy the cheaper version without thinking the harms they might do?

6. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

In the US, you can get contacts only with a prescription from an eye doctor. But you can get them online as long as you fax them a copy of the prescription.

7. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

8. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

With such demand, I wonder why there aren't any US manufacturers selling approved versions of these.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

You can get contacts elsewhere and without a prescription, they just wont have a prescription in them so if you require contacts you would either be blind or have to wear glasses with them. I see them around a lot more during Halloween as people buy colored ones. I have seen them the most at the local wig shops, just don't ask why I have been in those shops, haha.

10. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

They look creepy. Not sure why someone would want cartoon looking eyes..

11. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I watched the video twice and don't remember her eyes being larger at all.

12. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Good question.

13. Gazpacho

It's probably a matter of time, or maybe they figure it's not worth it if it's a fad that will be gone by next month. I imagine it takes quite an approval process to be able to sell contacts in the US, even non-prescription ones. But there are places in Canada selling them that also ship to the US.

14. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I saw a YouTube video of some woman wearing Twilight-inspired red contact lenses. :yikes:

15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I read that since the lenses are larger, they can block too much oxygen which in the long term can damage the eye. And the article I read also indicated some kids are ordering them with random prescriptions. Prescriptions are not the only issue, contacts need to be properly fitted.

I'm sure my cousin's daughter will have these soon. While her parents are busy spouting xenophobic crap about immigrants, their 15 year old daughter is in her room pretending to be Japanese. I find the whole thing rather ironic.

16. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

17. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Its the part where she is in the bathtub with the pink hair. Look at her eyes.

18. Gazpacho

19. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Her eyes are on Yahoo's main page now. I don't see anything special about them except for the really wide portion of her lower eyelids with white marker. I hope it's just an optical illusion and the edges of her lower eyelids are not that wide. You could put a cup of coffee there.

20. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Brrr... back at the end of 90s the contacts I used were reflecting the lights in the clubs. I looked like a freakin vampire with white eyes every time the ultra lights were on me. Can't count the amount of guys I scared with that. I ended up actually wearing glasses to the clubs so people will not freak out.

And yes, beats me why would anyone want to stick anything into their eyes unless they had to.

As far as the prescription goes, I've been buying my contacts without one for more than 10 years. In this country at least

21. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

These are popular in Asia!

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Okay, honestly, looked at the NYT picture and wondered if my measurements for Accuvue would be accurate for a larger lens. Don't think I would want purple or pink, but silver-blue or superdark brown would be neat. And great for ballroom--my eyes always look too small from a distance.

Real world "why they aren't here yet" (as ANY contact worn too long will damage your eye-that's why we don't wear them all day): Bet the FDA has not examined/approved any version yet. That takes FOREVER.

23. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member