Conrad Murray Found Guilty

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Nov 7, 2011.

1. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Live report....no articles yet

2. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Jury reaches verdict in involuntary manslaughter case against Michael Jackson's doctor

Is there a standard amount of jail time that someone convicted of involuntary manslaugher will serve? Or can it vary on the case...and is the judge the one who decides on the length of time to serve?

4. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Our local news said he could get jail time, probation, or house arrest.

5. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Here's another article:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45161548/ns/today-entertainment/

California law provides a range of sentences, depending upon the presence (or absence) of mitigating or aggravating circumstances. The judge will make a determination as to the applicable factors and impose sentence. According to the article, sentencing date is Nov 29, with a potential maximum of four years.

6. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Lindsay Lohan served 4 hours of a 30 day sentence due to over-crowding. I'm betting Dr. Feelgood doesn't get any jail time. Just probation. Here's hoping the story will just go away. I try to avoid all the celebrity-related court stuff, but can't seem to escape it.

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Well, if he already remanded him to prison, and off he was taken, handcuffed and surprised, does that make a prison sentence more likely than probation or house arrest?

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Never mind. Ignore post. I should read links first. :eek:

9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The time he spends in custody will be counted as credit time served.

10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Will he loose his license to practice medicine? Maybe he's already lost it? :confused:

11. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Yes. He will no longer be able to practice (thank goodness!!!)

12. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Considering what MJ was paying him, he may not need to work.

I suspect he'll do some time, seeing as he was trying to hide evidence of his guilt.

13. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

About effing time. I believe in the system of justice, but really, see no reason why a court trial should have been wasted on this loser. ANY doctor (or nurse, even) with a brain knows better than use Propofol, of all things, in a home setting with NO medical staff or equipment; to monitor closely ANY patient receiving the drug (in most hospitals, it is used only in OR, ER or ICU; we use it only in OR or ICU, on intubated/vented patients who are on all kinds of monitoring devices); and for feck's sake, knows when to start freaking CPR!! What a waste of oxygen this man is.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Agreed. However, we still have to go through the correct procedure, as per our constitution.

His lawyer said they are going to appeal the decision. This man should never be allowed to treat a patient again. He has shown a complete lack of ethics & responsibility. I am glad he is going to serve at least some time in jail.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Considering what Michael Jackson's income and earnings potential were, a wrongful death action brought on behalf of his children could wipe out whatever savings Murray has.

As for the California medical license, it was suspended before trial and will almost certainly now be revoked. I have no idea whether Murray is licensed in other states.

16. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

He also had a license to practice in Nevada, which was suspended at the same time as his California one.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Considering those three are already worth hundreds of millions, I'm not sure how well that would go over with the public. They'd have to make it clear that anything they would get in a settlement would be donated to charity IMO.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

They are all still minors. There's no way that their legal representative (most likely Michael Jackson's mother) could agree to that or that any court would approve it either, if it went to litigation. It's likely that any funds received would be kept in trust until the kids reached the age of eighteen, at which time the children could decide what to do with it.

Yes, there might be a public relations problem, but, then again, the guy is responsible for their father's death! Why should he be able to hold on to any money he made from his star client?

19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I don't see how a jury could have reached any other verdict. No, Murray did not have any intention of killing Michael Jackson (involuntary), he was Murray's jackpot. But, yes, Michael Jackson did die (manslaughter) due to the propofol that Murray obtained and administered.

Murray should lose his license. Greed overrode all of his ethical and professional obligations and responsibilities.

I will say, if it wasn't Murray, it would have been someone else. MJ would have found another doctor willing to do the same. Sad, but true.

And the CPR thing still gets me. But I've seen many people fail in similar situations. I had 2 cardiac arrests in July. I was in a public place when the 1st one happened (the 2nd one happened at the hospital). Not one single person, including my husband, administered CPR. Wow, just wow. You never know. I can't believe I'm still here even able to write about this stuff.

O-

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. FiveRinger

The thing that makes me the most angry about this case is Murray's obvious abuse of authority. How are you going to let an addict tell you what he wants and you acquiesce?

Murray was greedy. He gave MJ enough drugs to kill an elephant before he even gave him the propofol. And, even after he gave him the fatal dosage he tried to cover it up. He didn't call for help....he called his effin' assistant before he called 911.

And it really pissed me off to watch him while the verdict was being read. No remorse, no emotion, nothing. He just sat there looking like a complete and total ass.

Murray was already in dire financial straits (he had to pay child support on 6 kids), so there isn't anything for anyone to collect. I hope he had malpractice insurance to pay for the civil suit that is coming.

Murray had licenses to practice in TX, CA, NV and HI. CA has already been suspended. The other states are expected to follow suit.

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

So...which of you is correct?

22. FiveRinger

NV was suspended also. I apologize.

23. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

He was actually never paid. (He also had the nerve to complain about that and demand his money right after MJ died.)

Probably he won't serve much time because of overcrowding, like others have said, but there's a little bit of hope because the judge doesn't seem to like him all that much. Sentencing will be on Nov 29.

24. duane

duane New Member

No surprise. MJ was notorious for not paying people or his bills. It's why he was so in debt. But his many creditors are being paid now that he's unable to spend money as quickly as (or before) he earned it.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Lawyers Ask For Probation

I know that rules should not be different for an entertainer than for anyone else. Yet I can't help but think about how the man who played such a (the) major role in the death of MICHAEL FRICKIN' JACKSON might serve zero days in jail? Damn...

Mr. Remorse, that's Dr. Murray to be sure... :rolleyes:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

27. FiveRinger

28. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

He was tried for involuntary manslaughter (not murder). For that crime, the punishment is in line. I agree that he deserves a much bigger punishment, but according to our law and the trial he had, this is the most he is going to get. He may even get out in 2 years.:(

29. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

That's bad. Really, really bad.

30. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Hardly - except maybe for the Jackson family and ubers.