Congrats to New Momma-Rachel Alexandra

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by skipaway, Jan 23, 2012.

1. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

So, got to meet Rachel yesterday. She was sleepy, LOL. But very sweet. For the first few people who went up to her, she didn't look at them but just kept staring straight ahead. When I went up to her, she turned her head to check me out and so offered her nose, so I kissed it! I never would have guessed that in a span of 6 weeks I'd kiss Zenyatta on the nose and Rachel Alexandra on the nose. She was very soft and looked good, in spite of being tired. At Lanes End the day before, I thought Curlin was going to fall asleep standing there posing, so maybe everyone had a wild night.

Anyway, if anyone would like to see a few of the pictures, send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

2. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Congrats again to 2nd time Mother: Rachel Alexandra. She birthed a filly who weighs in at 140lbs.
    oh and congrats to Bernardini...proud papa.
    Little Rachel and Mom :cheer2:

3. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Sweet!

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I just said the same thing Rottie. :D Congrats to one and all!!

Rottie and (deleted member) like this.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Best suggestion I heard so far for a name is "Almost a Valentine"! Hopefully the filly gets a better one than the lame name they saddled the colt with (Jess's Dream.) Not that I expect him to do a thing (he'll probably end up a gelding packing short stirrups around or something) but if on the off chance he can run worth mentioning that's going down with Giacomo and Lil E. Tee in the 'non-classic names' records.

6. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

You guys haven't heard the latest...

http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/rachel-alexandra-in-serious-condition-after-surgery/9614/

7. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Oh! Best wishes to RA for a quick and full recovery!

8. skipaway

What a shame, IIRC, she spent time at the Rood & Riddle Hospital due to complications after her first foal. This doesn't bode well for more foals.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

What is "non-classic" about the name Giacomo? :confused:

10. sk8pics

Let's hope her proven courage on the track will carry over to the battle she is fighting now...

11. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Aw, mommy and baby need to be reunited. Worried for them both.

12. sk8pics

Stonestreet says the baby is doing fine, and took to the nurse mare right away.

13. sk8pics

Rachel is still in serious condition, but stable. Showing improvement in her appetite. Bright and alert. Keep fighting baby!

14. skipaway

15. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

What personality! What a champion!

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

RA had another operation, this one to remove an abscess near the reproductive tract. Once again doing well. I do hope this is it and they opt not to breed her again (or in all likelihood the filly either as her dam was a problem foaler, too.) That's probably not a female line that needs to continue.

17. skipaway

18. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

That's good news!