Congrats to new mom Zenyatta

sk8pics

Zenyatta's firstborn son, Cozmic One, had his first official breeze, 4 furlongs at something like 49 1/2. He is beautiful.

Zenyatta.com has some nice pictures of Ziconic, too --what a looker he is! And a very cute video of ZPrincess and Z scratching each other.

Lacey

Sorry, Jimena, the link is not working for me, but obviously tragic.

sk8pics

I think the sad news crashed the site. So sad. There is a suggestion for people to contribute to Old Friends in her honor. The Mosses are great supporters of Old Friends, and in fact a couple of their horses are retired there. They will put up a plaque in the barn and list all the names of contributors for the Mosses. So so sad. I only hope she was not too frightened and did not suffer long.

sk8pics

Well, I don't know if he deserves his own thread yet, but Ziconic finished 3rd in his debut over the weekend. Fell way way back like his mom, came charging down the stretch. I think a lightbulb went off mid-way down the stretch, because at first he might have been looking around. He's very handsome, too. We'll see if he really can run. He closed well and galloped out past the leaders. He was beaten around a length and a quarter after being 15 or so back.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
Well, I don't know if he deserves his own thread yet, but Ziconic finished 3rd in his debut over the weekend. Fell way way back like his mom, came charging down the stretch. I think a lightbulb went off mid-way down the stretch, because at first he might have been looking around. He's very handsome, too. We'll see if he really can run. He closed well and galloped out past the leaders. He was beaten around a length and a quarter after being 15 or so back.

Had a bad break (didn't seem to know what to do when the gate opened so he got left a bit) and some more coming around the turn (a lot of them have a WHOA moment the first time they make the turn and instead of nothing the stands are full of noisy people) and got down to business quick. Some more gate works, more experience, he won't have nearly as much ground to make up. And maybe now they can retire or geld Cozmic One (if they want to keep trying on him, maybe hormonal brain surgery will help. And given Ziconic's going to be worth ten times his brother at stud since Z's got a half-sister by Bernardini who was a bust racing, no reason to keep him intact. Or maybe it doesn't help at all and he's just not a racehorse.)

Queen Z is due at the end of March to War Front. Waiting to see if it's a new princess or another boy! And who'll they'll send her to on her foal heat.

sk8pics

I can't wait for the new royal baby either! And we'll see about Coz. He did just have two bullet works in a row, I think, so maybe he is calming down. Or maybe he likes to run but not race. He looks so much like his mama, it's a shame he doesn't run like her.

sk8pics

Zenyatta foaled a colt by War Front on Sunday, a very cute bay colt who looked just like her. The foal died today of complications from meconium staining.:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed So sad. I hope she is okay. By all accounts, she loves all foals and has often been observed teaching all the foals in the paddock with her. Condolences to her human connections too. They must be devastated.

Jem X

Pokemon forever
Thanks @sk8pics . I had seen a photo of the new foal on Instagram, and today saw another photo on Instagram that mentioned the loss of her foal. I figured you would have the story. Now to read the 620 comments under the Instagram photo. :(

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
"Meconium aspiration," not staining. The stains are just a sign that the meconium was released into the amniotic fluid before birth, not pushed out early by the mare's contractions, and what killed him was aspirating the toxic byproducts into his lungs while still in the womb. Basically he got a kind of pneumonia in utero. Catastrophically bad luck with no way of knowing and nothing they could do.

It's STUPID, as a paddock death and a freak accident at birth have nothing to do with the sire, but I'm superstitious enough at this point I'd be kind of afraid to breed her back to War Front. (Kind of a shame that AP was already booked and there were no rumors about her having been booked to him for her foal heat.)

sk8pics

Ziconic ran third in his race yesterday, closing fast. He looked very willing. I am hoping he puts it all together at some point.

skipaway

I think I read somewhere that she'll not be breed back this year b/c of how late this foal was. Nice that Zenyatta will get a well earned rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information