Congrats to new mom Zenyatta

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
ETA: Hansen lead almost all the way and got picked off by Doullahan in the last eighth (he went from tenth to first in the last three-eighths.)

sk8pics

Love all these baby pics.

On a related note, yesterday morning I met Peppers Pride, who had a 19 race win streak as well, in restricted New Mexico racing. She is a sweetheart and stood patiently, regarding me with a kind eye and a touch of "gimmee!" if I took too long breaking her cookie in half. (She likes them broken in pieces for her. :lol:) Her boy, about a 2 month old colt, was less patient and would periodically dance around. He did not want me to pet him but sniffed my hand very curiously and then thought maybe he should taste me. :lol: I told him no, he couldn't chomp down on my hand. Kids. Anyway, it was exciting to meet her and get my picture taken with the two of them, and pet her on the nose.

skipaway

Love all these baby pics.

On a related note, yesterday morning I met Peppers Pride, who had a 19 race win streak as well, in restricted New Mexico racing. She is a sweetheart and stood patiently, regarding me with a kind eye and a touch of "gimmee!" if I took too long breaking her cookie in half. (She likes them broken in pieces for her. :lol:) Her boy, about a 2 month old colt, was less patient and would periodically dance around. He did not want me to pet him but sniffed my hand very curiously and then thought maybe he should taste me. :lol: I told him no, he couldn't chomp down on my hand. Kids. Anyway, it was exciting to meet her and get my picture taken with the two of them, and pet her on the nose.
How fun! Remind me, who sired Pepper's foal?

sk8pics

They told me Distorted Humor is the sire. The colt is a feisty little guy and very cute. I could hardly blame him for being antsy since they would be turned out after their photo op with me.

I need to write the owner(s) a thank you note for allowing me to see her. It's nice of them to allow a total stranger to visit their prize mare.

skipaway

Very cool. Wonder what they'll name him. Funny combinations can be had by combining their two names.

sk8pics

They don't need to name the foal until they register him, I think. So some time after his first birthday (Jan 1, 2013). I wonder if they have a barn name for him. I read that they call Rachel Alexandra's colt "Taco." :lol: Not sure why, but both he and Z's colt are adorable.

skipaway

I asked that same question, why Taco, on Thoroughbred Champions forum... the answer was they sold the naming rights to Taco Bell :rofl:

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
They don't need to name the foal until they register him, I think. So some time after his first birthday (Jan 1, 2013). I wonder if they have a barn name for him. I read that they call Rachel Alexandra's colt "Taco." :lol: Not sure why, but both he and Z's colt are adorable.

You don't have to name them to register them. All you need for that is the sire, dam, the stallion certificate (comes through when the mare owner pays the LFSN stud fee) and nowdays a DNA sample. Some people name the foal then, some people wait, especially sales. My old horse was named on his foal papers, my new one came with a name card stapled to them (he'd been named when he was older so the JC staples the naming certificate to his foal papers.) The foal paper is the critical thing-that'll go with him his entire life, ideally, and that's the number that'll be used to tattoo his lip when he's ready to start racing. Transfers of ownership will be recorded on the papers and any races he wins are written on the back.

ETA: Well, okay, and you also need a wad of cash, the amount of which goes up the longer you wait. And you can pay to reserve names-Barbaro's old owners have the names from those hunting dogs they name their horses after reserved.

The name will depend on the Jockey Club to a degree--no commercial names, no naming after living real people unless they provide written consent, name must not be more than 18 letters and spaces, and it has to be available-either no horse has had it, the horse who had it hasn't raced or been bred in the last five years (or is dead more than a certain number of years), and it's not a permanently-retired name. That's based on winning certain types of races-there won't be another Zenyatta in the US Jockey Club, or Secretariat, or Man o' War.

So the Tapit baby won't be Zapit. There's a 2005 named Zap It.

Oh, and you're not SUPPOSED to give them obscene or joke names, but clearly most days no one at the JC says the names out loud (ideally fast) before approving them. Otherwise there's no way Fog Duckin, Fog Ducker, or Sofa King Fast would have made, let alone Hoof Hearted. (At least the last one's just funny-at least one track announcer got 'Fog Duckin' turned around exactly like you'd think. He did apologize....)

sk8pics

I won a charity auction yesterday and am going to get to meet Zenyatta!!!:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool: I can hardly believe it. I never win these things. But I got lucky and the price was even not bad, much less than the last time they auctioned off a visit with the Queen, because of the way they ran the auction. I can't wait!

skipaway

I won a charity auction yesterday and am going to get to meet Zenyatta!!!:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool: I can hardly believe it. I never win these things. But I got lucky and the price was even not bad, much less than the last time they auctioned off a visit with the Queen, because of the way they ran the auction. I can't wait!

So totally awesome sk8pics!! Please let us know how it goes and pictures....please!

AragornElessar

Pictures. We want pictures!!! :D

That is so amazing!! Congratulations!! :D

sk8pics

I will definitely let you know what it is like and will shre pics. My friend and her two daughters are going with me, so it will be a lot of fun. The kids are so excited! They have been getting more into horses and loved meeting Animal Kingdom last year. He is a kind horse, too, but meeting the Queen will be in a whole 'nother league! :D

sk8pics

Nope, but we can drive down in one day. I've done it by myself and it was painful, but with 2 drivers it will be fine. We'll stay 2 or 3 days then drive back.

I got my certificate with the contact info, and I'm just waiting for them to call me back to make arrangements. :cool:

barbk

The Kentucky Horse Park Kid's Barn is fun with some hands on activities. (And the Horse Park itself is cool.)

Keeneland racetrack is gorgeous, and you can go watch early morning workouts -- It is free. And, there's a cafeteria open for breakfast (though I think you could bring in muffins and coffee/juice, but I'm not entirely sure.) The cool thing is that you can get right down by the rails.

I found the http://www.shakervillageky.org/living_history_museum/ Shaker living history park to be really interesting.

Looking forward to hearing your trip report.

sk8pics

The Kentucky Horse Park Kid's Barn is fun with some hands on activities. (And the Horse Park itself is cool.)

Keeneland racetrack is gorgeous, and you can go watch early morning workouts -- It is free. And, there's a cafeteria open for breakfast (though I think you could bring in muffins and coffee/juice, but I'm not entirely sure.) The cool thing is that you can get right down by the rails.

I found the http://www.shakervillageky.org/living_history_museum/ Shaker living history park to be really interesting.

Looking forward to hearing your trip report.

Thanks for the tips. I've been to Keeneland, but I think we will skip it. The kids have been to Fairhill to watch workouts and you are really close there, so I don't know if they would like Keeneland that much, especially since we don't have that much time. But maybe we will go to the Kentucky Horse Park. Thanks for the tip on the Shaker living history park. And of course, we will go to Old Friends and I will introduce them to my boy Tinner, and show them how BullintheHeather loves to have his back scratched.

So excited! I can hardly believe it.

sk8pics

Zenyatta's former track pony Hootie died today (or maybe yesterday). Too bad, he didn't get to enjoy his retirement very long.

sk8pics

My visit with Z is going to be labor day weekend.:cool: The woman who will take us to see her said we can hang out with her for as long as we like, feed her carrots and mints, hug and kiss her, and take pictures.:lol: Her baby will be weaned by then so Z will be free to socialize. :cool:

sk8pics

Little Z was weaned yesterday and apparently both Z and little Z handled it with aplomb. :cool:

My visit with Zenyatta is two weeks from Friday! Wheee! Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information