Confirmed: Moore-Towers & Moscovitch Split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Aaron MB Fan, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Aaron MB Fan

Aaron MB Fan Active Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. FelicitySmoak

FelicitySmoak Member

I was just going to post this... ya beat me! :)

I won't say I'm happy about this, because that would be a lie but I wish them both the best in their futures apart.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Key quotes (bolded by me):

4. reese

reese Well-Known Member

They are both looking for new partners.... wow

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Wow, him looking for a new partner? I didn't see that coming.. it sounds like he only wants to do one more season, so I guess I understand why she chose to leave, because she wants to go a whole other 4-8 years.

6. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

That's more unexpected than their split, I think. I would have thought for sure that Dylan was retiring and that was the reason for the split.

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This makes me sad. :(

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

If Dylan knows he perhaps can't or would rather not stay skating at this level until the next Olys, it makes sense for them to break up now. It gives Kirsten the time she needs to find a new partner and develop as a team.

I wish them both the best of luck.

9. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

This is strange. Why go for all the trouble of finding a new partner and learning to skate together to only stay for one season? It may take them a whole year just to start getting anywhere.

Sad news overall. Their short program last two seasons was a masterpiece.

10. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

:sekret: say Mike Marinaro is KMT's new partner and they'll train out of Waterloo

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Maybe he just wants to keep skating, but he's not sure how long he'll last, so he and Kirsten split so she can find someone who can promise to be in it for the long term? Who knows?

12. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

I can't see him going 2 more Oly cycles, although it seems Kristen has been giving it some thought.

13. fan

fan Well-Known Member

I heard that kmt split w Dylan because she believed his body wouldn't hold out. And believes she could do up to 3 more Olympics. I'm gutted - they were my favourite team, mostly due to his humour and great attitude

14. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

That's a big chance for KMT to take considering she and Dylan were close to a world medal...

This is really too bad all around.

15. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I didn't follow the Canadian pairs news very closely - what is the status of Mervin Tran? Can Kirsten try to skate with him?

16. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I think its good for her to try for a new partner to continue on for the long-term now rather than later. I hope she finds a good partner and has great success.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't think the reference to the 2014-15 season by him necessarily means he only wants to compete one more season. It could mean he wants to get up an running with a new partner ASAP. Otherwise, he would have the option of slowly bringing up a young partner, like he did his sister and Moore-Towers, or find a partner from another country who would switch to Canada, making them have to sit out for at least a year.

18. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Wow that a surprise that Dylan was basically forced out.

Oh well, maybe he can find someone to continue on for a few more seasons. Too bad Margaret Purdy is so tall now.

19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Ask Mark Ladwig.

Darn. I liked the perky Canadians :(

20. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

It could be so that he has a better shot of doing shows with the new partner once he retires, or maybe he has some commitment with sponsors that he has to fulfil, sometimes it's not just about the skating.
    My guess is that this happened now because there were many other break ups taking place and Kirsten had a better shot at finding a good partner, if she waited another season who knows who'd be available.
    I'm really sorry about this break-up but I'm glad that Dylan is staying for another season, he is a nice fellow.

21. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Wow he's planning on continuing despite this split and his age? I'm really surprised.

This is a bummer, a lot of times I don't warm up to Canadian pairs, but this team was really expressive and enjoyable (even if whoever was doing their music cuts completely missed things like, you know, highlights). I wish them both well.

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh boo, they were really becoming a favorite of mine.

23. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

I am totally shocked. This seems ill advised and risky. Although a giant fan of firecracker Duhamel, I loved this team too and was not unaware of the widespread international preference and admiration for this team over D/R (before Johnny and Tara did their take on that opinion) This seems not only a shame to me, but perhaps a strategic blunder.

24. nicolas23

nicolas23 Member

so next year there will be no top pairs

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Duhamel/Radford plan to continue. ETA: Refer to kwanfan1818's post today re. updated potential GP seeding in the Olympics forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Six-Retirees&p=4251674&viewfull=1#post4251674

I've summarized the currently known Canadian senior pairs here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...rs-2014-2015&p=4251682&viewfull=1#post4251682
    I didn't include (yet):

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  26. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

:wuzrobbed NO!!!! They were one of my favorite current pair teams. This off-season was already turning into a heartbreaker (for pairs and dance), and it just got worse. I will really miss their stunning lifts, which were the definite highlight of their programs. It is hard to imagine what the pairs landscape will be like over this next quad.

27. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

That is all.

28. Catherine M

Serious question:

Does anyone think that Dylan could deal with Margaret Purdy's height!?!? I know he's not the tallest guy out there but maybe if he can, she's an option for him.

29. The Observer

The Observer New Member

That's what I would have thought, too. Wonder why Dylan wants another partner just for one season?

30. Catherine M

Maybe it wouldn't be for just one season; maybe he'll evaluate each season like Duhamel & Radford seem to be doing.