Confirmed: Daisuke Takahashi will be coached by Nikolai Morozov again

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 15, 2012.

1. vexlak

vexlak Member

I am confused a bid. Many of you here do not like Morozov?
    OK, personality aside, he is one of the most consistent medal earner. Frankly what ever he does or choreograph is amazing and it surely works. I saw him work and he is very dedicated, creative and very detail oriented. Daisuki was great under Morozov.
    Good luck to both of them.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Because his choreography is usually terrible.

Having said that, he is great with making his skaters consistent and comfortable. At the expense of having any choreography. :p

I don't know what to think about this. Swan Lake (Hip Hop Version) was a super voidy program so if Takahashi gets more of that, why not.

Although Miyamoto's and Camerlengo's programs for him worked extremely well so I was hoping for more of that.

3. ice9

ice9 Active Member

I'm :confused: at why many people assume Morozov will choreograph Takahashi's programs. The article only say he will act as an "advisor" in Takahashi's coaching team, and there is no mention of choreo. Nagamitsu will still be coaching.

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

5. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Maybe we will be now be able to see Dai's 'pirate' side!

6. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

These two are like Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.

7. 4STh

4STh New Member

I've just remembered this article:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120525&content_id=32207752&vkey=ice_news
    I don't know whether Nichol and Takahashi have finished his choreo or not, but I won't be surprised if Morozov will NOT choreograph Takahashi's program, esp. for this season.

Sorry for inaccurate descriptions.
    Some articles says Morozov will form part of Takahashi's coaching team (including his longtime coach Nagako Utamitsu and Takeshi Honda for jumps) as an adviser. But other articles says Morozov will be one of his coaches...
    Maybe the writer was insensitive to the difference between their roles in a "team."

Anyway, it is not mentioned where he will train or who he will normally train with in the articles.

8. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Morozov left NJ (and Ice House) and moved to Russia several years ago.

However - and I heard this just this morning at the rink - Morozov will be teaching a 7-week summer session in Danbury, CT...or so the folks I know had heard. Very standard for elite coaches to go "elsewhere" for the summer - perhaps Connecticut is "elsewhere" for Nikolai this year.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  9. analia

analia Active Member

Somehow I think Lori Nichol is a worse idea than Morozov.
    I believe Daisuke and Morozov had a love/hate relationship and complicated feelings toward each other. I remember reading an interview in which Daisuke said if he could speak English better, the first person he wants to talk skating with is Morozov.

10. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::eek::eek:

This off season has been just... i dont even know what to say. Next thing you know, Michelle Kwan will be returning to Olympic eligible competition or something...

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think Dai just needs Morosov's politik power. I hope Morosov has next to no input in terms of choreography because Dai's programs post-Morosov are some of the best ever. I know I can usually count on Dai and Abbott to give me something wonderful to watch every season.

The reason for my dissappointment is because there was a time post-Torino that I was hating Japanese skating because it seemed like all of the top skaters were being coached by Russians and though I love the Russian style, it seemed that all the Japanese skaters stopped having their individual styles and started looking Russified. Dai leaving Morosov was one of the turning points of that trend and I hope it wouldn't come back.
    I like that Dai is going through different choreographers this quad because it'll show real versatility in this portfolio and help him learn even more. Plus, choreographers will hopefully be inspired if they only have to create a routine or two for one season.

12. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thanks for providing the link to the icenetwork article and the translation of the other article, 4STh. I agree with others who have said that Nikolai is a great coach and am relieved that Nichol is doing choreography for him. She knows COP so well, and is capable of making the most of Dai's incredible talents, including his superior musicality. I know a lot of people find her very vanilla, but I think at the very least she will give him very complex programs as she knows he is capable of handling very difficult choreography. Here's hoping for the best:)

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

New article today (June 15) titled "Takahashi reunites with Morozov for Sochi push": http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120615&content_id=33344752&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  14. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Just as well Morosov isn't a member of PSA with all the boundaries he has crossed. :p

15. skaterdelight

skaterdelight New Member

Dai's hip hop Swan Lake was the highlight of that season. If Morozov inspires more of that I'm all for it. This is unlikely if Nichols is going to do Dai's choreography though. In the live interviews with Dai that were posted in GoldenSkate, Dai said that the best thing about Morozov was that he built up his self-esteem because he is full of insecurities. Nagamitsu was with Dai when he was coached by Morozov before - with Nagamitsu as his earth and Morozov as lightening, Dai will have both stability and flash. Whatever Dai needs, I hope he gets, including good health. There is no Russian male skater who has any hope of medaling at Sochi unless it's Plush and he would go to Mishin for coaching. What a fight it would be if Dai, Plush and Chan skated at their best - what a feast it would be for skating fans!

16. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

With the right skaters who actually care about choreography and are committed to it, Lori was able to give brilliant programs under IJS (Kostner, Chan, Rochette, Verne, Asada) whereas I can't think of any program of Morozov's that I can call brilliant. Cyber Swan was great, but when I think of the other programs Morozov's gave Takahashi, I never want him to choreograph for Daisuke again

17. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Well I feel a little better after reading the IN article and the quotes from Dai.

Now that it is all said and done, Go get that Gold Medal Dai!

What are the duties of an advisory coach? From what I understand from reading the press releases Dai will continue to be based in Japan.

18. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Well,we'll see how it goes.No way to know for certain if it'll bode well or evil for him.I for one love Takahashi's skating.
    I like Florent too,so curious to see what will become of him now.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Phew! At least no Nichol! A lucky escape. :p

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Agreed.:)

21. vexlak

vexlak Member

Yes he was in CT. However my sources told me that he abruptly flew to Japan I think yesterday. Contract signing?
    It would be interesting to see where will they be working. Most probably Russia?

22. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

To have the press conference that prompted this Ice Network article (and others) about his new work Dai.

23. vexlak

vexlak Member

I personally happen to like the originality and different approach. It brings life to the skating and versatility. The alternative is to have all skaters doing figures and ballet moves for ever. It gets boring sometimes.
    Perfect proof was Leonova with the short at the WC. Yes, it is unusual to see a female (or male) skater come with the outfit and indicating slit throat, however because the program was executed, it was entertaining, different and most importantly different. Similarly the Swan Lake (Hip Hop Version) was genial. Miki's programs were not that bad either.

24. martyross

martyross Active Member

Just out of curiosity, in what ways Miki Ando's programs are original and different?

25. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

She had a spider on her boob. :shuffle:
    Now, that's something original.

26. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

^:rofl:

Sending Dai some Tom Dickson vibes. Ohh, or Salome Brunner! Why doesn't anyone ever use them anymore?

Though if he sticks to the Wilson, Carmelengo, Miyamoto combo, I wouldn't complain.

27. vexlak

vexlak Member

I agree that Miki was not different. She was just good enough. That is why she got the gold at the WC. My point exactly. Since there are different personalities, a good choreographer will build a program that will suit the skater. Unfortunately there some choreographers that they do the same signature moves and style. They lack the versatility. I don't think think you can say that about Morozov.

28. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Oh I think you can say exactly that about morose - Leonova's LP this year is just about identical to the last LP Miki skated.

29. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

"the official announcement" said that Morozov approached Dai and that he (Morozov) wanted to help Dai leading up to Sochi for OG and to also make amends for what had happened between them in the past. I don't know, call me quirky but this reasoning does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Why would he approach Dai and what is in it for him? I don't think Morozov needs the money?

By the time the new season begins I may be an alcoholic, Krull and Patrick breakup, Igor fired, YuNa suing a professor, and now Morozov on Dai's team. I need another drink. lol

30. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

Mee too! :D