Confessions of a House Snob

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Civic, Nov 17, 2010.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'd agree with this - and about "ugly" feet in general.

Basically, I think whoever's home you're in, that's whose wishes you should follow with regards to shoes/no shoes. But in the US (or at least the parts of the US I've been in - NE, midwest and NW), unless someone tells you to take your shoes off upon entry, the default is to leave 'em on.

ETA: I see Prancer's thrown a hole in my theory about the midwest :p. I'll just say I've certainly experiences individuals who do the shoes-off thing in many places, but they were never the norm of the region, and they would always tell you right off that they had a shoes-off home. Of course, this could mean that I am not invited to the right parties ;)
  2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I ADORE older homes. I'd live in one if I could (my place is only eight years old). But I will not tolerate grunge or messiness. Loving you, Civic!
  3. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I had a bit of an icky toenail issue and the chiropodist recommended putting a cap of apple cider vinegar on it twice a day for a few months. It has really cleared things up.
  4. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Did you just pour the vinegar on it, or soak the nail fred?

I'm asking for a friend. :shuffle:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Well, you haven't been here for a while, yes? I would say this is a relatively new phenomenon and certainly isn't common at all among older people. Older women still fuss at me for going barefoot in my own house and ten years ago, very few people I knew did it. I think I knew one person whose family took their shoes off at the door before I was, say, 35 or so.

But younger women and some my age now tend to look at wearing shoes into the house as wearing dirt into the house, as in it makes for just that much more housework. Since most of the women I know are very busy, anything that means less housework is a good thing.

It could be just women I know, as most of the women I know fall into the same general category.

Perhaps I'll take a poll of my students :p. I have a poll function on my class website that I never use.
  6. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Yes. In France, if you are guest, you do not remove your shoes (apart from exceptional circumstances). Most houses are designed with tiling for the rooms on the ground floor, so carpets are not stained. If people are ok with keeping their shoes on for work or visiting friends in hospital, I don't really get the fuss about taking your shoes off at home.
    I remove mine for comfort purposes when I'm at my own home, and my mum's always telling off for leaving my shoes lying around in the entrance :rofl:

I'm not a house snob, but I'm a wedding snob :shuffle:

I hate, hate, hate cheap and tacky church / reception room decorations. I hate, hate, hate family members singing out of tune solos during the service or as evening entertainment.
    I hate paper flowers. I dislike wedding dresses made out of cheap fabric. I dislike plastic cups and paper plates being used.
    I dislike unprofessional wedding photography. I don't like programs or menus visibly typed out on MS word.... :lol:

I've been to dozens of weddings and the only two I've ever enjoyed were held in castles :shuffle:
  7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I can't stand tacky wedding decorations either. And I had to participate in hanging paper streamers and putting out tacky paper centerpieces at many a friend's wedding. At my wedding, we just had candles out on the tables, provided by the country club. One of the paper streamer brides said to me that she never would have thought of skipping all the other stuff but "it kind of looks elegant without it". Exactly!

And nothing bugs me more than being in a room full of people in formal or semi-formal attire and trying to cut a piece of chicken on a styrofoam plate with a plastic knife. But, after planning a wedding, I understand how it happens. Caterers charge roughly $2 a fork. (We had real dinnerware provided by the country club without any extra fees, btw).

As for shoes...I grew up in a leave your shoes on family. My husband grew up in a take them off at the door family. Conflict ensues. I usually take my shoes off at home for comfort, but not immediately at the door. And he fusses if I put shoes on when I get them from the closet rather than carrying them to the door to put them on. Then there is the problem of my mother who hates taking her shoes off ever visiting our house and wanting to leave them on but not wanting to offend my husband...
  8. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Being someone who takes their shoes off at the door but wears socks, I should add that I run my carpet cleaner 3-4 times per year also. Luckily, most of my floors are hardwood and ceramic. I am a dog owner(beagle). But my dog has never been allowed in the carpeted rooms or even on the furniture. I admit to being a snob about not allowing animals on furniture, especially in bed. I actually don't like sitting on furniture that animals have been on. Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?
  9. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Tell you friend ;) to just pour it over the nail.
  10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Not only is the dog allowed on the (cheap, easy to clean) living room furniture, she often sleeps on the bed with us. In the winter, she sleeps under the covers- saves on the heating bill for us, and I assume is more comfortable for her (she doesn't sleep on the bed in the summer, usually on the couch). She's a 35 lb terrier/grayhound mix, so a medium sized dog.

She sheds like crazy, even though she's short haired- so I sweep daily and am so thankful to no have carpet anymore.
  11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I do. I suppose I could lock up my cat in the bathroom or in a cage during the day when I'm away at work, but it would be pretty much impossible to keep her off the furniture otherwise. Counters and table tops are off limits (at least when I'm around), but otherwise, every chair, couch, bed, is a potential :cat: resting place. :D One of my sisters never allowed her cat on the furniture -- in fact, she had somehow "trained" the poor thing to walk on the plastic runners she had over the carpeting in several rooms. :eek: I'm not sure what sort of aversive tactics she used to do that, and I really don't want to know. (I still can't believe she had plastic runners on the carpeting!) :slinkaway
  12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

What about your own? Or has that not occurred yet? ;)

I somewhat dislike tacky weddings as well, but I have a much higher tolerance than you. One of my classmates got married in Vegas, and did a lot of it herself. It would have been really really cute the way it was, (she planned out what they were going to wear, he was in coattails and top hat, they had big cookies for a wedding cake) BUT from photos, it looked like they held the ceremony in a random hotel room! :yikes:

And the more weddings I go to, the more I'm convinced I don't ever want to put that much effort into 3 hours of one day and that I should elope. :shuffle:

At home, the dog isn't allowed in the bedrooms, but my sister usually finds a way to bribe him into my bed to wake me up if I'm sleeping in. :lol:

It is possible to train cats not to jump on your furniture, but it's rather amusing when you find them sleeping in random places. :lol: And a cat sleeping with you is seriously the cutest thing ever. But at least cats clean themselves.
  13. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I am sorry the longer I read this thread the upset I got. I really am upset and didn't read the last few pages because of the attitudes.

Would I like to update the exterior of our house - you bet. I know that the siding needs replacing in places. I know that if we could get new windows the house would be more heat/air economical. I know that if the interior was updated I would be happier. Do you think I enjoy living in late 80's decor? There are many reasons besides money (WHICH IS A MAJOR ONE) to not be able to do that.

How about interior wallpaper (gasp I know that many of you think that is crass and one of the major sins someone could make) being applied by your Father in law and is a connection that your spouse is not willing to give up?
    How about not being able to do the work yourself and yet not able to pay someone to do it?
    How about being unemployed and subject to those of you who are employed and can be snobby?
    How about someone who's income is spent on medical bills
    How about someone who is helping children with some of their expenses because of a sucky economy?
    I have a sister in law and brother in law who come to visit us once every 2 years and tell me that our house is a disgrace, why don't we update it NOW.

Regarding chain restaurants - the last time we went to a hoity toity restaurant it was over $250.00 for a meal/bottle of wine/dessert. Friends and family can give us gift cards for the chain restaurants - affordable gifts.

ETA: It is really good that I only saw the wedding sh$t snob while scrolling up the page to get to the FSU Index.

I am sure that all of us have some things that make us crazy, but this thread on the same page as the homeless man who returned found money is :rolleyes:

Said my piece - out of here.
  14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

There are a lot of wonderful and affordable small mom and pop restaurants in the US. Watch an episode of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives.
  15. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My dog (all 10 pounds of him) is allowed up on any and all of the furniture and he sleeps in our bed. He's a Maltese so he doesn't shed, but even that wouldn't matter to me.

My mother-in-law once had a bit of a freak-out when the dog sat beside her on the couch and tapped her with his paw. She pushed him away and asked why he was up there. My response? "He lives here and you're in his spot." :p
  16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's the thing, I think many of us in this thread know how picky and ridiculous we are. :lol: Or at least I do. :shuffle:

:rofl: My mom came to visit me and lay down on my bed. The kitten (this was back when she was really tiny) came up and sat on her chest. She looked down and was like, "Excuse me!" :lol:

Then again she did ask for a picture when the big cat decided to climb on her and fall asleep in her lap.
  17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The real question is whether the garden kitty allows me on the furniture :lol:
  18. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Yep. After my earlier rant about how neat and clean I am, well, I have a long-haired cat and he sits where he wants to sit, except on the dining room table, kitchen counters or my desk. He sleeps between the pillows on my bed and if I didn't make the bed and put throw pillows there during the day he might never come out of that cave. Visit me and you get lovely long white or orange fur stuck to you, and I will provide a roller when you leave if you like. If that's a problem, don't visit. :p

But just like the really important division in the world is not ethnic or religious but between people who have kids and people who don't, the other one is animal-lovers and their opposite numbers. Personally I think my condo building is particularly friendly because dogs are allowed here, and the non-dog-owners all have cats, but that's me. ;)
  19. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Not married yet, and the longer I wait the pickier I get :lol:
    I'm completely skint but if I was to get married now, I'd just get the nice dress, even if I had to get a bank loan for it!
    I think my deep dislike of cheap weddings has come of being a pastor's daughter, asked to perform in everyone and their uncles wedding. I'm someone who values experience infinitely above material possessions, so having a classy (if small) wedding is more important to me than owning a car or a house. I'm a romantic gal, what can I say :eek:

I think you're missing the whole point of this thread. It's precisely about people who secretly appreciate luxury but realize the absurdity of it.

Do we go around criticizing people who don't meet these "standards" IRL? Of course not. Can we meet them ourselves? Not me anyway :lol:
  20. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

The wedding snob thing has be :shuffle:. On one hand, I was aghast at my friend's wedding that had no dinner and was generally uncomfortable for everyone but her. However, I'm not sure I'd go in for a lot of extras if I had a wedding, so... After attending so many in the last 10 years, I don't have a list of what I'd like, I have a list of what I want to avoid. :lol:

But that's the thing with weddings: it's finances willing.

It's a very privileged thing to be so snobby/picky about things. I'm not nearly as live and let live as I'd like to be, but I hope I'll eventually get there.
  21. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm afraid my earlier post left some posters with the wrong impression. My house snobbery doesn't stem from having always lived in grand, immaculately maintained dwellings. I wish. I grew up in an out-of-date house in a declining, inner-city neighborhood.

My current dwelling is a bog standard, 1980's, faux colonial townhouse. L-shaped living/dining room, kitchen and half-bath on the first floor, two bedrooms and a full bathroom on the second floor. Sheetrock walls, kitchen cabinets and bathroom fixtures from Home Depot. Over the years I've replaced the carpet with hardwood floors in the living/dining room and bedrooms. My other splurge is custom window treatments.
  22. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

It's the same in almost every Muslim home I've been to as well. We also have a no shoe policy in our home. It worked out great since every room in the house is carpeted. I have a cat and I don't notice her wiping her butt on the carpet. It's just more comfortable to walk around bare foot. I hate staying in homes where I have to keep my shoes on.
  23. genevieve

I don't have a dog anymore, but she was allowed on the couch and on the bed - I always had a blanket on one part of each to mark where she was allowed to sleep (and to keep the rest of it clean). She shed like a mofo, so despite sweeping daily and vaccuuming usually 2x per week, there were always drifts of dog hair in my apartment.

I still have a cat and she sleeps on the bed and sits wherever she pleases.

I will say that owning pets - especially these pets - meant that I made sure to have no carpeting anywhere when I was looking for a home to buy.
  24. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

My cat pretty much is allowed anywhere in the house (counters are off limit when I'm home at least). She sleeps on our bed, couches, chairs, floors-whatever is comfortable for her. She also sheds so there's always cat hair in the house. Lent rollers are a God send for our clothes.

As for being a snob, I'm not much of a snob for material things. I couldn't even tell you what type of house I live in and I only get furniture for utilitarian purposes. I eat at chain restaurants (not that I mind non-chain restaurants) and as for clothes, I usually shop at thrift shops. My husband and I are both geeks who are only snobs about books.
  25. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Not only is my dog allowed on my desk, she demands it (she's 6 pounds, so she fits). That's where she is right now actually. :)

I used to put a blanket down on a part of the bed for my dog to lay down on (she doesn't sleep there at night because I'm allergic to her) but she had this nasty little habit of scrunching up the blanket and peeing on it (she's a puppy mill rescue and didn't have very good potty etiquette when I first got her due to being forced to go potty where she slept) but she's gotten a lot better since I got her last year. Now, she can lie on the bed, but I either vacuum my quilt or throw it in the dryer afterwards.
  26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

My dog is allowed on the couch and bed as well but blanket or no blanket, she sheds all over the place and her long hair collects dirt, which she also sheds. We have a futon couch so we can wash the cover but I've pretty much given up on trying to keep it totally free of dog hair. It would take about 100 sticky link remover strips per day.

I've tried a throw but that hasn't worked - she destroyed one throw with loose weave already. And she doesn't like the new pillows I got for the couch either, recently destroyed the zipper in both of them.

Add to the mix a cat who likes to scratch on furniture and has destroyed the two chairs in my office.

I'd love to get a leather couch - ideal for the dog - but there is no point, unless we have another cat that doesn't scratch (this one is 17 years old) or learns to use a scratching post.

I figure that if you love your furniture more than your animals, you shouldn't have animals.
    Plus, she recently doesn't like my new

Oh yes, carpeting and pets = nightmare. I have area rugs which I shake out or vacuum, and that needs to be done at least once a day.
  27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Then...you aren't a house snob. You just want a different house.
    Just make sure it has a real, working fireplace, or don't talk to me anymore :p.
  28. genevieve

Afriend gave me a very nice (but slightly worn) leather couch when she moved out of town. My cat doesn't scratch it at all - in fact she doesn't like to touch it. She only gets on it if I'm on it (and she sits on me), or recently she knocked down one of the throw pillows and will sleep on it. I think she doesn't like the feel of the leather on her pads.
  29. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

We have a real, working wood stove. What do you think about that, Mr. Fireplace Snob? :p

(Personally, I don't like it too much but it does massively reduce our gas heating bills so it's worth it even if it is dirty and often too hot.)
  30. genevieve

Oh how I long for a fireplace! If I am ever able to buy a house there are two things that are must-haves: gas stove and a fireplace. sigh!
  31. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It must be a firePLACE. Don't talk to me. :p :lol: just kidding.
  32. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Your fireplace is like a work of art, though, so you can always justify it by saying that you don't want to ruin its beauty with ashes and smoke.

Whew, I can still speak to Rex :lol:.

I'd really rather have a woodstove, though. The fireplace is pretty when the logs are crackling, but you have to practically sit in the grate to get warm.
  33. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Only you, Prancer...;)

That seems to be a problem with fireplaces. It really has to be a good fire. And you have to make sure the chimney is not dirty and is drawing well.
  34. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I don't like wood stoves because the entire thing gets blazing hot. I've always been afraid my daughter would trip and hit it. We sold our old, humongous wood stove, and got a very petite pellet stove which not only is more effective re: heating the house, but also doesn't end up with a hot surface, so IMO, lots safer.

I also don't like fireplaces for similar, kid-related safety reasons. They're pretty, but just not right for me.
  35. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I had two working wood fireplaces in my old house and was thrilled, I had always wanted one. Actually we used the one in the living room only a few times a winter and it did very little to warm the room, much less the rest of the house. It's one of those things that are better in theory than practice.

Two different winters when we lost power, though, the one in the basement rec room was better than nothing (we had a sleep sofa down there.) It was still so cold I was afraid the cats would singe themselves getting closer to the fire to keep warm.
  36. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

My son's first word was not "Mom" or "Dad" or anything like that. It was "hot". This was because we were always pointing at the woodstove and saying "don't touch, it's hot" or "stay away, it's hot".
    immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  37. KCC

KCC Active Member

The newer wood burning fireplace inserts are very efficient at bringing in fresh air (with controls to vary the burn rate) and blowing the hot air into the room. The one in our last house made the entire floor so warm that we rarely had the hot-air fan on, and occasionally even had to open the windows. The wood stove in our current home is not nearly as pretty, but it is also very good at heating the house. The hot surfaces allow us to put a nice humidifier pan on it to add moisture to the dry mountain air.
  38. Hooloovoo

Hooloovoo New Member

I've got a little scratcher too and the suede recliner I have is the one chair he won't touch at all. I recently splurged to recover a chair he scratched the heck out of with suede and he hasn't touched it at all. He will sleep on them though! I think for leather and suede they can't hook their nails in between the threads like on other fabric.

-Hoo
  39. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

We had a old-fashioned wood cooking stove in the kitchen at the cottage and it kept the cottage toasty warm in winter until we installed baseboard heaters, but even then we mostly used the wood stove.

I used to lay in bed in the morning not wanting to be the first up because then I'd have to get up in the cold and get the fire going - before I've had my coffee. I don't do anything before I've had my coffee.
  40. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I think I'm a car snob. Not which type of car - you don't need to drive some super-expensive, top-of-the-line vehicle - but could you at least keep your car clean (and smelling somewhat OK)? And at a certain age, don't we all outgrow tiny little cars with 2 doors (and/or a hatchback) and almost no back seat, that you need to be a contortionist to get into? I know we all like to get good gas mileage, but let's not be impractical.