Confessions of a House Snob

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Civic, Nov 17, 2010.

1. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I rarely wear my outdoor shoes inside because my dog's feet and butt are tiny and don't carry as much dirt as my outdoor shoes. I do wear crocs inside though because I have plantar fasciitis.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Did they wear their shoes in the house? lol..

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm having flashbacks - a few years back we visited relatives in St Petersburg (Russia, not Florida!), and their communist-issued apartment included a closet with toilet with exposed plumbing next to the kitchen sink - can't recall where the shower/tub was!

Also thinking back to the layout of the apt I rented in NY - it was 1928, with tons of large closets, so now I'm wondering which might have been the WC? Also unusual were the doorways - between foyer/hall and hall/bathroom they were 9-ft doors, but the one into the bedroom was much shorter with no ornamentation - we often wondered what the original layout might have been. Perhaps the bathroom doorway was originally the entrance to the bedroom, maybe a little foyer into it, and then later cut off to form the bathroom ... hmmmm ...

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

To be fair, I don't think the food is bad at chain restaurants. (Although they are very salty sometimes...) If someone invites me, I'll come along without complaint and enjoy my meal. (And my family is totally getting the Thanksgiving package from Raley's this year. :lol: Although lil sis and I will be baking some things from scratch too.)

It's just that it's so...ordinary. It's like shopping at a regular mall on vacation - why bother doing something that you can do at home?

But it depends on where you are, of course. In the boonies, sometimes there aren't a lot of good restaurants around besides the chains. Once, we went to a restaurant attached to a brewery whose beer my bf liked. This was the only place around for miles and miles, and the food was TERRIBLE. Salad was soggy, pork chop was completely flavorless. I don't care for apple sauce yet I was drenching the pork chop in it just so it could have some flavor. (I'm pretty sure it was Mott's apple sauce too.) :lol: Yet it was still pretty popular.

What makes me :duh: is when people insist on eating at chains (or shudder, fast food) in cities like Paris or NYC or Portland, where I just was. SO many great local haunts that you'd be missing out on! My bf and I didn't eat at any chains the whole week we were in Portland and it was possibly the yummiest week we'd had together. :cheer:

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with chains per se. In Portland, I went to coffeeshops (Stumptown's) and restaurants (Stanford's) that were local chains. As long as it's not anywhere near I live, then I'll enthusiastically try it out. Thus my fascination with Target.

But as ebayj will attest, I would prefer to avoid anything that I could get at home (*cough*Denny's*cough*) :). But I don't mind the food.

As for house snobs, as a frequent viewer of House Hunters, if someone tells me that I should have hard wood floors, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, his/her sinks, and/or a man cave, I may have to punch them.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Who do you think you're fooling?

You should have hard wood floors, stainless steel if not platinum appliances, his/her sinks, and at least one man cave - though keep in mind that two man caves is the standard for the have's versus the have not's.

:revenge: me now.

7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I think it is not necessarily snobbishness on my part, but OCD. I HATE having anything out of place when we have company. I am anal when cleaning my bathrooms. My husband will clean our rec room (using Mr Clean on the summer kitchen island and counters) and I will do it again.

I have lined towels that I place in an exact manner.

Canned goods, facing forward. I will coreect it, if my husband does it.

I guess the only good thing is that I do it when he isn't looking and very luckily, he doesn't pay attention to that stuff.

My husband and I purchased a home about this time last year and the renovations required is ridiculous. Mr Fix-it (previous owner) was not a Mr Fix it well and we have to redo a lot of his work. We are going to have to go room by room...

8. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I think you just need to add more salt to your food. ;)

I thought of this thread last night when my husband was telling a story about one of his coworkers that lives in a small town in Alabama and took a trip to NYC. For dinner they went to TGI Fridays in Times Square. :(

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The house I live in now had a bathroom right off the kitchen. It had been converted from a porch/backdoor area into a bathroom, probably in the 1940s or so. It was a large enough area that when we remodelled, we turned the area into a mudroom/hall (with a new back door exit), with a tiny bathroom off it. It's still a full bathroom, but now it's entered off the mudroom/hall, rather than directly from the kitchen.

But I've lived in quite a few apartments here in the northeast where the bathroom is directly off the kitchen. It's really common in older homes.

10. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

It's more of an American thing. It's largely Canadian culture to take your shoes off when you enter a home...especially if you're from some place rural. We have weather issues here so your shoes are rarely clean when you come in.

When I moved to the US people would just trample all over my place. I finally asked around to see why this was happening and I was told two things. 1. People are self conscious about their feet (smells, sweat, bad socks, etc) and 2. Women especially consider their shoes to be a fashionable extension of their outfit, so it's like chopping their arm off to remove their shoes.

Asians from what I have found are much more practical, so I was loving the clean environments particularly in Japan when I traveled. So much order in a city like Tokyo with a gazillion people in it. Wow!

11. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I keep my shoes on in the house. My reason is simple. My feet get cold easily so wearing shoes keeps me warmer.

12. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Count me in as one who must wear her shoes in the house. My orthodics are to correct my walking/rolling on the outside of my foot. If I'm not allowed to keep my shoes on, I head straight for somewhere to sit and rarely leave the spot. Walking without the support in my shoes lead to a lot of pain later. If the people I plan to visit have a problem with me either wearing my shoes indoors OR staying put in one place, I put them on the list of people not to visit again.

A tidy house ... I wish! I married a messy who has gotten even more messy over the years we have been married. As much as I have tried to deal with it, I still get BSC. He tries ... but not well enough. He'll start something and then not finish it - at least not to the manner in which I am expecting it to look. {{sigh}}

13. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Which, from first-hand experience, Japanfan certainly does. ;) :hat1:

14. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

If someone would try to come to my place, I would tell them to take off the shoes or not to come at all. Smelly feet and ugly shocks happen all time, I it is not so serious.

I do understand the fear about fungus infections, but if someone has fungus, I assume they will keep shocks or take care of the problem some other way. But I do have to say, I have never heard of anyone having this kind of problem. Maybe they just keep veru quiet about it. :D

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I also think that Americans worry a lot about body odor. I must have a terrible sense of smell since it's very rare that I ever notice it, even when my bf is wailing that he's sweaty and smelly. :lol: When he's sweaty I actually like the scent. :eek:

My ex had toenail fungus and refused to medicate for it because of the liver damage side effect from whatever pill they would give you. :shuffle: It just made one of his toenails ugly, it actually wasn't a big deal and I never got it even though we would go barefoot together and whatnot. I think athlete's foot is a more serious issue in a locker room shower because of the heat and humidity. I don't think you need to worry much about that on a floor where it's cool and dry.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I lurve fireplaces. REAL ones, not non-functioning fireplaces, or worse yet, GAS fireplaces. Ugh. Something you can actually burn wood in. I turned my nose up house-hunting a couple of years ago at these gorgeous McMansions in South Philly, starting at $450K, but they had GAS fireplaces...hmph. The NOIVE.

17. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I’m the opposite. I don’t want you to take your shoes off when you come to my house and I certainly don’t want you walking barefoot around the house.

Feet are sweaty and oily. Walking on hardwood leaves the same kind of greasy smudges on floors that handprints leave on windows, and for carpeting, these oils hold and mix with dust and dirt. Nothing makes your floors and carpeting dirtier than walking around barefoot.

If you insist on taking off your shoes, please have some slippers handy.

18. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Since plantar fasciitis set in, I wear slippers all the time indoors, I used to go barefoot. Haven't noticed floors staying any cleaner, though. I think shoes vs feet indoors is very personal with a touch of cultural. I wish my cat wouldn't get that blue litter stuck between the pads of his paws, though, that's a pain to clean up.

I live in a condo built in 2000. It's got shoddy construction in some places, my doors are not solid wood for example. But because I have a corner unit, I have interesting angles in all the rooms, not square boxes, and that was enough to get me past my knowledge that this building is made out of spit and drywall. (That, and the fact we don't have earthquakes and tornadoes in DC.) But for someone else who loves old construction and solid wood everything, this would be a turn-up-your-nose building.

Chacon a son gout.

19. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I have a beautiful two-story working wood-burning fireplace. Know how many New Yorkers would kill for this? (Me, I am scared to death of fireplaces and always have been. :shuffle: Not sure I will ever use it. No gas in the building, either, so I can't convert it.

Chacon a son gout, indeed.

Contractor and engineer tomorrow come to cut three huge holes in my ceiling to determine if the roof can support the weight of a deck. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a long and painful period of renovation during which the apartment will be barely inhabitable for us, much less presentable to guests.

But a 250-square foot roof terrace is something that I, along with other New Yorkers, WILL kill for (or at least be driven to the point of near-insanity and insolvency for). Crossing my fingers that it's possible.

20. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

:huh:

I think it's more a regional thing. We have plenty of weather issues here, too. I go barefoot in the house all the time and always have. Probably two thirds of the people I know take their shoes off at the door; one third do not. Some of the ones who do wear slippers or socks, some don't.

Guests, OTOH, are another story. I tend to follow the lead of the hosts. if I go in the door and there's a pile of shoes, I take mine off. If not, I keep them on. And at my house, I encourage people to keep their shoes on because, while my floors are not black, I have a heavy shedder dog and I don't want people to go home with furry feet--which they will.

I NEVER remove my socks in someone else's house, though. :shuffle: I'd rather have furry feet than plantar warts.

21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'd agree with this - and about "ugly" feet in general.

Basically, I think whoever's home you're in, that's whose wishes you should follow with regards to shoes/no shoes. But in the US (or at least the parts of the US I've been in - NE, midwest and NW), unless someone tells you to take your shoes off upon entry, the default is to leave 'em on.

ETA: I see Prancer's thrown a hole in my theory about the midwest :p. I'll just say I've certainly experiences individuals who do the shoes-off thing in many places, but they were never the norm of the region, and they would always tell you right off that they had a shoes-off home. Of course, this could mean that I am not invited to the right parties ;)

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I ADORE older homes. I'd live in one if I could (my place is only eight years old). But I will not tolerate grunge or messiness. Loving you, Civic!

23. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I had a bit of an icky toenail issue and the chiropodist recommended putting a cap of apple cider vinegar on it twice a day for a few months. It has really cleared things up.

24. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Did you just pour the vinegar on it, or soak the nail fred?

I'm asking for a friend. :shuffle:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  25. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Well, you haven't been here for a while, yes? I would say this is a relatively new phenomenon and certainly isn't common at all among older people. Older women still fuss at me for going barefoot in my own house and ten years ago, very few people I knew did it. I think I knew one person whose family took their shoes off at the door before I was, say, 35 or so.

But younger women and some my age now tend to look at wearing shoes into the house as wearing dirt into the house, as in it makes for just that much more housework. Since most of the women I know are very busy, anything that means less housework is a good thing.

It could be just women I know, as most of the women I know fall into the same general category.

Perhaps I'll take a poll of my students :p. I have a poll function on my class website that I never use.

26. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Yes. In France, if you are guest, you do not remove your shoes (apart from exceptional circumstances). Most houses are designed with tiling for the rooms on the ground floor, so carpets are not stained. If people are ok with keeping their shoes on for work or visiting friends in hospital, I don't really get the fuss about taking your shoes off at home.
    I remove mine for comfort purposes when I'm at my own home, and my mum's always telling off for leaving my shoes lying around in the entrance :rofl:

I'm not a house snob, but I'm a wedding snob :shuffle:

I hate, hate, hate cheap and tacky church / reception room decorations. I hate, hate, hate family members singing out of tune solos during the service or as evening entertainment.
    I hate paper flowers. I dislike wedding dresses made out of cheap fabric. I dislike plastic cups and paper plates being used.
    I dislike unprofessional wedding photography. I don't like programs or menus visibly typed out on MS word.... :lol:

I've been to dozens of weddings and the only two I've ever enjoyed were held in castles :shuffle:

27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I can't stand tacky wedding decorations either. And I had to participate in hanging paper streamers and putting out tacky paper centerpieces at many a friend's wedding. At my wedding, we just had candles out on the tables, provided by the country club. One of the paper streamer brides said to me that she never would have thought of skipping all the other stuff but "it kind of looks elegant without it". Exactly!

And nothing bugs me more than being in a room full of people in formal or semi-formal attire and trying to cut a piece of chicken on a styrofoam plate with a plastic knife. But, after planning a wedding, I understand how it happens. Caterers charge roughly $2 a fork. (We had real dinnerware provided by the country club without any extra fees, btw).

As for shoes...I grew up in a leave your shoes on family. My husband grew up in a take them off at the door family. Conflict ensues. I usually take my shoes off at home for comfort, but not immediately at the door. And he fusses if I put shoes on when I get them from the closet rather than carrying them to the door to put them on. Then there is the problem of my mother who hates taking her shoes off ever visiting our house and wanting to leave them on but not wanting to offend my husband...

28. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Being someone who takes their shoes off at the door but wears socks, I should add that I run my carpet cleaner 3-4 times per year also. Luckily, most of my floors are hardwood and ceramic. I am a dog owner(beagle). But my dog has never been allowed in the carpeted rooms or even on the furniture. I admit to being a snob about not allowing animals on furniture, especially in bed. I actually don't like sitting on furniture that animals have been on. Do many people allow their animals on their furniture anymore?

29. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Tell you friend ;) to just pour it over the nail.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Not only is the dog allowed on the (cheap, easy to clean) living room furniture, she often sleeps on the bed with us. In the winter, she sleeps under the covers- saves on the heating bill for us, and I assume is more comfortable for her (she doesn't sleep on the bed in the summer, usually on the couch). She's a 35 lb terrier/grayhound mix, so a medium sized dog.

She sheds like crazy, even though she's short haired- so I sweep daily and am so thankful to no have carpet anymore.