Confessions of a House Snob

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Civic, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Civic

Civic New Member

I need to make a confession and FSU seems the safest place to do it. I've recently realized that I'm an incorrigible house snob. I have very high standards and strong opinions when it comes to residences. I like homes to be well kept and well maintained. I abhor cheap repairs or remodeling jobs. I dislike the architectural mishmash that so many contemporary architects resort to in even upscale subdivisions.

I know that in many cases the homeowner can't afford the repair that would best compliment the home's architecture. But I still shudder everytime I see a Tudor style house where the stucco has been replaced by vinyl siding. Ditto with low budget basement conversions or porch enclosures. Shabby, out-of-date interiors depress me.

I try very hard not to let on to people who own these unfortunate homes that their house gives me the blues. People are sensitive about their homes and most of these homeowners are doing the best they can with limited financial resources. But sometimes it takes all of my self-control not to go, "Ugh![' out loud.

There. I feel better now that I finally got this off my chest. My question to other FSU posters. Am I the only one who reacts to shabby or ugly homes in this manner?

2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Better not ever come to my house... :D

No, I am not a house snob (unless it stinks!)

3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I'm not a house snob, but I have turned down second dates with men because they wore bad shoes. :shuffle:

So we all have stuff that we're snobby about, don't sweat it. :)

4. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Poor table manners. :eek:

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Houses, eh, but I'm a car snob. I can't afford what I appreciate, but I have my list of "so not dating THAT" vehicles!

6. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Yep. that's me.

I also realize people can't afford the best of everything, but often times imo, money is not the issue.

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

You would :scream: from my house. Its style is Early American disaster. :lol:

Seriously, it is 126 years old. In the 70's, the owner raped it. Instead of fixing plaster etc, he put up cheap wall board. He tore out nice features like arches (why? don't know) and replaced them with ugly cedar-stained boards. He put in ugly drop ceilings. The best thing about our home is that we have an awesome 2.3 ac piece of land and nobody telling us what we can and cannot do with it (ie no homowners association etc).

When we first moved in, we could only afford the things that we absolutely had to pay for - new furnace, roof, etc. Oh, we've painted and done other superficial stuff (like covering up that ugly cedar stain :lol:), but the reality is that this place could use a $50,000+ makeover.

Now that we do have more money, we'd rather spend it on our son's sports, on our travel, on my skating, and hubby's golf. I like to say that our spending priority is for experiences, not things. If that causes "house snobs" to look down on us, I really don't care. I'd rather be a beer snob anyway. :p :40beers:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  8. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I scowl at unkempt lawns and landscaping.

jtpc and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

I hate a messy house. Does that make me a house snob? I don't know. lol
    I told my guy when we get married I would prefer if no one wore shoes in the house. He agreed, which made me :). I hate the idea of not being able to walk comfortable bare foot, or in socks, in my own house.

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I have become a food snob. I :scream: from chain restaurants now, especially on vacation. We didn't travel all the way out there to eat at Olive Garden! :lol:

I've also become a font snob, and this comic sums it up pretty well: http://xkcd.com/590/

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I love my aunt and uncle, but whenever I visit and we go out to dinner, their first choices are always Olive Garden or Red Lobster :yikes: Also, my friend's parents invited us to dinner one night, which was very kind and generous of them, but they picked TGI Friday's. I mean, you're in New York City and you go eat at Friday's?!

12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

That, to me, is different. If it has to be shabby, at least it can be neat!

13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I'm a house snob in the sense that I find it disappointing that people don't take pride in where they live.

I"m also perplexed by a lot of new construction. Layouts and designs that are impractical.

14. KCC

KCC Active Member

I don't like clutter. I'm fine with outdated or a mish-mash of design, but feel my blood pressure rise when there is so much stuff in a room that it is just chaos. Unfortunately, many of my family members' homes are like that.

15. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Stucco? On a Tudor house? Surely you jest milady? A true Tudor house should have nothing but wattle and daub between the wooden beams, or just possibly red brick.

;)

16. Anita18

My dad's like that. :lol: It isn't that he's a picky eater, he's just lazy and doesn't want to work up the effort to find a restaurant close to home that isn't Sizzler's. With chain restaurants, you do know exactly what you're going to get. But still! Didn't travel all the way out there to eat or buy stuff I could get at home!

Yelp is my new best friend. :cheer:

17. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Don't ever get a dog or cat, then. They like to wipe their butts on the carpet when they have a klingon, if their little butt itches, or even just for the hell of it. Seriously. :eek:

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Anita18

I'm Chinese and we've never worn shoes inside the house. It's way more comfortable and the dog won't wipe his butt ALL over every square foot of the carpet, while people will walk all over the place eventually. :lol:

I don't understand why people wear shoes inside their homes. It just makes it dirtier a lot faster, and it's more comfortable to walk inside in socks! But then again I don't understand why some people wash their dishes twice when using the dishwasher. :lol:

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

But do you have a hardcover copy of Karl Marx's "Communist Manifesto" in your library? :) Are you familiar with the most important passages?

If not, I might consider you the unfortunate one and not invite you to my home for a dinner party. I don't invite people over to impress them with the quality of my home (which I rent :slinkaway) and the size of my paycheck. How boring is that? Hopefully I have more of substance to offer.

And have you considered that having a well-kept and maintained home takes a certain amount of money and time? Do you think that those who lack sufficient money and time are inferior to you? Goddess forbid one can not afford the highest quality of laminate or is too busy to dust on a daily basis (or pay the maid's salary). What might the in-laws say? For shame, for shame.

So what if you have lots of money to spend on your home? Does that make you special?

You can't buy creativity, humor, love, or intelligence - those are the things that make a house a home and make the people who live in it desirable company.

But don't lose hope. I'm sure that being a house snob with a longing for expensive gold bathroom fixtures is a curable condition. :)

agalisgv, Gil-Galad, nubka and 3 others like this.
  20. Anita18

Plus, not everybody has a good visual eye when it comes to design and/or decorating. Nor do they have the time or be arsed to learn, on top of all the OTHER things in their lives that demand attention. :lol: That's why I don't hold any of that against anyone.

Although I do try to avoid making such mistakes myself, because I'm a visual person and I enjoy learning about it. :)

21. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Do people who do not take their shoes off at home exist? :eek: In Finland shoes are always taken off at home.

What comes to being a house snob, I do understand it. I am visual person and I need my apartment to have harmony of colours and materials, plus a coherent style. It is not as nice as I would want it to be, due to lack of money, but I do think you can make your home beautiful without being rich. On the other hand, I undrstand that not all people are like me and I do not hold it against anyone if they don't have good eye for decorating nor money for house keeping.

But as a food snob... I think I am terrible...

22. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

We take our shoes off in the house. No way I am tracking all that outside dirt into my house.

I am not a snob in particular, but if there is anything I am snobbish about I guess I could say I don't like houses that are decorated in minimalist modern styles. I appreciate a lack of clutter (probably because it is the opposite of my house) but I find a lot of very modern homes to be uncomfortable and sterile. I especially find a lot of modern furniture to be uncomfortable to sit on.

23. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I am an intolerant snob. I am incredibly intolerant of intolerant people. Particularly those who attack gays and racists.

As for being a house snob - yeah that is okay.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    Stormy and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

My ex is a house snob. We'd go house-hunting as a hobby. Weekend open houses are like crack to him - he HAS to go. He knows every realtor in the Center City area - and they all know him :scream:. He can pick apart a house/condo in seconds. It's almost scary.

25. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

As long as you don't hurt the feelings of financially-challenged or taste-challenged people by telling them your thoughts (if they haven't asked for your opinion), why not have those snobbish feelings? We're all snobbish about something. Someone must keep up those standards. :drama: For me, it's coffee.

And if they *do* ask for your opinion, you can do the cause of snobbism a favor by being tactful about it so they might actually be motivated to make the needed changes instead of digging their heels into cheapness/tackiness just to tick the snobs off. :lol:

Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Angela-Fan

:lol: My aunt is obsessively clean. Her dogs get their little bottoms wiped after they go potty. No kidding. I guess she doesn't have to worry about clingons. They also go on puppy pads instead of going outside. fi was :eek: when I told him this and he said when we have our own place and bring his dog and i finally get my own, there is no way the dogs will go in the house. He volunteered to wipe their little feet if it'll make me happy. :lol: I was like you said it not me. Although I noticed he didn't volunteer to wipe their bottoms. lol

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'll admit to have become a bit of a food snob over the past couple of years. But I have been working on it. Some disastrous attempts at making some ambitious dishes have humbled me :eek: a bit.

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

That is fcuked up.

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

We wear shoes in the house. Except in the winter when it's very slushy/snowy out or rainy days. I don't want to track water into the house. The laminate floors make it easy enough to clean off any dirt.

I actually prefer socks, but there are days that tendonitis is bothering me too much not to wear sneakers. DH always wears his shoes.

30. Angela-Fan

:lol: It's funny I got so used to I was surprised that other people thought it was weird. :drama: