Confess your sins

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by alchemy void, May 10, 2012.

1. casken

casken Well-Known Member

What I was saying.

2. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

When I watch skating it's usually an excuse for me to order pizza.:lol:

...and I also use it as an excuse for not getting any work done.

3. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Haha, for me, it's to pop kettle corn! Of course, the skating usually isn't too bad either.

I have a few more unpopular (I think) opinions:

-Maybe it's because I haven't followed the sport long enough to be annoyed by it, but I don't care if a skater uses overused music.

-I think Patrick Chan is awesome. I don't care if he splats all over the place in the early season. It's the early season, big deal. He usually brings it when it counts. I'm also amazed how he went from 0 quads to 3 quads/competition within one season. Even if you hate quads, you have to admit that it's a really phenomenal athletic as well as mental feat. I seriously hope he doesn't start losing it next season.

4. walei

walei Well-Known Member

:lol: was just about to post the same thing.

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Instead of Pope Benedict, I’ll pretend Ottavio Cinquanta is on the other side of the screen in this confessional. Here is my list in ascending order according to severity of sin:

-I will always have a soft spot for Surya Bonaly

-I was a big fan of Maria Butyrskaya

-I sometimes like perk

-I often enjoy programs skated to really mainstream/top 40 music (including Celine Dion)

-I live for show skating, including Disson productions

-I long for a dramatik FD, complete with OTT costumes made of shredded chiffon and lamé

-I wish I could raid Tatiana Tarasova’s coat closet :TT1:

-I find Capellini and Lanotte’s crotch lift attractive...it was one of my favourite lifts in the entire event

-I really enjoy Florent Amodio’s skating, and think there is something special about his style

-I was never bothered by Chan’s comments in the China gate scandal, and thought the whole thing was blown WAY out of proportion…the only thing that disturbed me about that situation was the hyper-nationalisms on the part of some…

-I had impure thoughts during Brian Joubert’s SP…(I will also find his “The Matrix” LP exciting no matter how many times I see it)

-I wish my confessions had to do with the sins I was committing with Maxim Trankov…

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

It's the off-season...:blah:

7. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Okay, you're going straight to HELL...;)

8. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Forgive me, skategods, for I have sinned. It has been too many years to count since my last confession.

• I was, and still am, impervious to Oksana Baiul's "it" factor.

• I have never understood what all the fuss about Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, and Irina Slutskaya's skating was all about. Good skaters, yes, but still....

• I think Jamie Salé and David Pelletier delivered the best Pairs Free Skate at the 2002 Winter Olympics, given the judging system at the time.

• Johnny Weir bores me to tears. And most of his skating since he won his first or maybe second National title does too.

• I can count the ice dance couples whose programs I have really enjoyed on the fingers of one hand.

• I think the costumes skaters wore forty or fifty years ago were nicer than most of the ones skaters wear now.

• I am glad that fourteen-year-old girls can't compete at senior-level ISU Championships.

• When I first started watching Evan Lysacek, I thought that his skating was a lot campier than Johnny Weir's.

:eek:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. lakewood

lakewood New Member

1. I think MK was a great skater but overrated. I didn't like her over-emoting.

2. Lambiel is a great show skater but I didn't like many of his performances.

3. I think 6.0 system was such a non-sense.

4. I was underwhelmed by Russian super babies.

11. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I enjoyed Surya Bonaly's skating more than almost any of her contemporaries.

I never got Gordeeva and Grinkov (esp in 1994).

I wish there was more variety in skating costumes (esp among ladies).

I liked Jill Trenary's 80's hair and shoulder pads (and her short sleeve costume in 1990 remains a personal costume favorite).

I enjoyed B&B's epic weirdness (like Eurovision on ice!*).

Underrotation doesn't bother me.

No, really, underrotation that would send a technical panel into cardiac arrest (as in Sarah Hughes levels) doesn't bother me.

Lipping doesn't bother me at all.

Flutzing (of Hughes, Lipinski, Bobek proportions) does bother me.

Outrigged Salchows bother me.

I don't like watching quads, no matter how 'well done'...

I like fast well centered spins in simple (but nice) positions more than unusual and changing positions.

I mostly never got Stephen Lambiel (until he was well past his prime).

I enjoy watching compulsory figures (and dearly wish they'd lasted long enough for Eurosport to devote hours of tv time to them). 27 consecutive RBO paragraph brackets? Heaven!

I want a skater to choreograph a fall. (that is have a program, preferably an exhibition) where a fall is absolutely the right choreographic choice at a certain point.

I wish there were more different kinds of single competition (figures, dance, free, rhythmic? interpretive?)

*I wish there was such a thing as Eurovision on Ice! where skaters had to perform to their country's Eurovision entries....

12. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I like illusion fabric in costumes.
    I like over the boot tights.
    I always disliked Sokolova.
    I am enjoying Leonova more now than when she burst on the scene.
    I dislike Amodio the more I see him.
    I think Chan deserved to win even with 4 falls.
    I love David Wilson and Lori's choreography.
    Nancy should have beat Oksana.
    Tatiana Malanina (sp?) was horrific to watch (except the odd jump).
    I hate 99.9% of show routines. (Debbie's Wanda Beazel being an exception, best show routine ever next to Chans from this year)

13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I will also add that I don't particularly care whether skaters are doing a lot of (difficult) transitions, and tend to disagree with complaints about people being overscored on PCS because they "have no transitions". I like good choreography, but in some cases this means the program needs fewer transitions to really fit the music and the concept. This brings me to:
    Remember when Amodio fell in the LP at 2009 SA and sort of made it look like it was part of the program?

So Clara Peters would have to skate to Jedward, and V/T get the Russian grannies? That could prove... interesting.

14. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I think there are not true artists among female skaters while there are true artists(Curry, Lambiel) among male skaters.
    Janet, Kwan, Sasha, Kim all only have great musicality.

I think Lu Chen's artistry(or musicality) is overrated. Although her poise&maturity are impressive.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

-It doesn't bother me when Alissa gets held up for being pretty
    -I cannot stand over the boot tights and excessive illusion fabric. There is no need
    for stocking arms.
    - I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see how low Mao was marked compared to Yuna.
    - I actually enjoy people skating to Requiem... hmmm, a skating program about drug addiction. So post modern.

16. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I don't really get I/K at all.

I think Mao has become boring to watch the past two seasons. With TAT, at least she was trying to branch out. Now, she's going back to safe programs but the jumps don't always work like they did when she first came onto the senior circuit.

I know Patrick has great skills but sometimes I do wish that some other men were able to win major comps. Now the men's event is becoming very predictable.

Like Ozzisk8er, I also hate exhibitions. I rarely watch them.

I didn't really get S/S until this season. I use to think they were overrated until I saw their LP. I am now a convert.

V/T have potential but I don't understand why they're getting similar PCS to S/S. :confused:

I love B/L even if their programs are empty.

17. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I too thought C/S deserved their bronze medal :p

S/P should have won Olympics LS was :kickass:

Hate it when a skater kisses the ice after a great performance .

Loved Denstas Bach to Africa FD and A/P B Last Night :)

V/M are such superb skaters and look like champions but they are so zzzz where's the excitement ?

I hate Polkas and am dreading the new SD.

Want to see more Carmens and Toscas Malaguenas etc :)

I too would like to see the SLSS back instead of the CSS.

I don't like T/D taking part in DOI their talents could have been used coaching pro skaters especially in GB .They are no longer the legends I used to watch and now find them boring :shuffle::eek:

Could never watch the Duchesnays as all I could see were her bow legs :shuffle:

Was a really massive fan of A/P and was pleased when FP/M fell in the FD at olympics.:eek:Then felt terribly guilty when Babs cried on the podium :shuffle:

18. t.mann

t.mann New Member

:lol:

19. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I used to never watch ice dance while I was skating myself because I found figure skating to be boring without jumps (that's when I was ~14/15). Over the past couple of seasons, it has become my favorite discipline, and I don't really know why. I have started to re-watch 6.0 dance programs and I can't get enough of them now.

Pairs used to be my favorite discipline and now I hardly watch it anymore.

I hate over the boot tights and it is hard for me to appreciate amazing skaters who wear them. I enjoy Mao a lot more now that she wears her boots white, same goes for Alissa.

I don't think I can root for any other lady to win until Carolina retires. Knowing her personally and supporting her 100%, it is hard for me to watch a ladies' competition that she competes in and also enjoying the rest of the skaters. I really, really, really try because I love ladies' figure skating in general and I want everyone to do well and the best to win, and there are so many amazing ladies out there! After watching the ladies' FP live in Nice I could hardly remember any of the other programs because I was so focused on Carolina. I had to rewatch the entire competition at home because I literally had no idea what the other ladies did. This is horrible but I can't help it :scream:

I enjoy watching practices a lot more than competitions.

Jeremy's puke face freaks me out!

I tend to start disliking young skaters who are overhyped so early, even though their skating is amazing for their age. I find myself disliking Gracie or Julia just because of all the hype surrounding them.

I can't stand the way Morozov ruins some of the most promising skaters out there. I loved I/K as juniors but ever since they have made the coaching change ... I could hardly watch their FD this season, it was that horrible. Same goes for Amodio who I actually found interesting before his change to Morozov.

I don't like Leonova's skating but I wish more ladies would have her :kickass: attitude with which she embraces her choreography (again, hate the choreography, but man she pulls it off).

I was a total Yagudin uber. I stalked him at Euros in Vienna so many years ago and took 6 pictures with him.

I think Stéphane is the embodiment of an artist on ice and no man in the near future will ever come close to what he creates on the ice.

20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I miss figures and the wonderful footwork of skaters who did them.

I can't see the 10 extra points that Chan always seems to get.

American ladiezzz bore me. All the programs look the same.

I'd rather watch Browning, Hamilton or Sato do footwork than watch a superb jumper.

21. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I love everything about Michal Brezina, especially his weird vests.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. a56

a56 New Member

Takahashi, Davis/White, Buttle, Shibs, and Weir are/were all very overrated. I will never get the Takahashi gushing on here.
    I regret that Zhang/Zhang never won a world title, and that Pang/Tong won two.
    Leonova makes me cringe, and Sotnikova will not be the Wonder-Baby she was predicted to be. I would prefer for Tuktamisheva or Kostner to be the next Olympic Champion.

23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Alena Leonova rocked the free program at Worlds in 2011. I thought she should have won.

Everything about Marina Kiellmann's technique, music, costuming and packaging is campy and hysterical. For those reasons alone, I love her.

Claudia Leistner and Manuela Ruben looked like 45 year old housewifes when they skated.

Elaine Zayak should have won in Sarejevo.

I never got Sumners' artistry as an eligible. She was a fabulous professional skater, however.

Mark Mitchell should have won Nationals in Orlando in 1992.

Nancy Kerrigan was stiff and dull.

Josee Chouinard's battles with nerves made me want to strangle her. She should have won gold in Lillehammer with those programs.

Tanya Bingert was underrated. She was podium material but never made a world team.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  24. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I really hate all the arm flailing and twisting body gyrations that seem to be in vogue in skating right now. I still prefer pure classical line, edging and simplistic economy of movement in skating.

I have never gotten over Oksana Baiul's win over Nancy Kerrigan at the 92 olympics. I still think the judging panel was rigged.

Similarly I strongly feel that Sale & Peltier were the decisive winners in SLC.

I used to never think Nicole Bobek was a bad girl back in the day and was a big fan.

I would have given the world gold to Lu Chen over Michelle Kwan at 1996 Worlds.

I HATE male skaters wearing gloves. The ISU should ban them from men's costumes.

I liked pro skating competitions and shows better than eligible competition and really miss that part of skating. I really despise the ISU for killing it off.

I am super bummed that skating is not really popular in the US anymore. I am jealous of whatever system the Russian federation has to nurture all the young talent they have coming up.

I used to be a Johnny Weir fan but I think he has become a total diva and did not train his talent to where it could have been.

Jeff Buttles cupped hands drive me to distraction.

I have never liked any of the Chinese Pair teams except Shen & Zhao.

I was secretly glad when Suguri and Oda retired (or have they???). Never liked their skating.

Sometimes I still think the Russian federation is still buying judges.

I do not think Chan's scores are inflated. I've never seen edging like his....amazing skating skills.

I still secretly hope Czisny can win the gold in Sochi.

I love it when the Europeans whine about the dominance of North American ice dance.

I hated Slutskaya's skating....but I loved Butraskaya's skating.

Probably the skater I liked the least of all time was Viacheslav Zagorudniak ("Zaggy"). I used to pause the VCR when he skated.

It is a crime that Kurt Browning never got an Olympic gold medal.

John Curry is still the finest classical artist to ever grace the sport IMHO.

I used to wonder why the judges were so hard on Sasha Cohen for one or two jump errors. The rest of her skating was so far above....that line and position takes incredible amount of work to achieve. All the ladies skaters today pale in comparison in my eyes. Also the way ABC and the media used to constantly harp on a mistake from her drove me bonkers.

Drobiasko & Vanagas never got their due from the judges..Neither did Annenko & Stretenski or Punsalan & Swallow. Torvill & Dean totally should have had the gold in 1994.

Brezina's scarecrow hands and bend at the waist jump take-offs spoil his skating for me. Why can't Adam have his 3-axel though?

Wow! These confessions feel good!!!!! Glad I could get some of that off my chest.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  25. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I wish for public humiliation for every fan or critic who dismisses a world class skater as "lacking basic skating skills". Something along the line of having to perform their skating skills in a large arena full of unsympathetic spectators with the skaters they criticize as their judges.

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I've got another one.

- Sick and tired of certain skaters being held up despite numerous mistakes, and others getting held back despite being brilliant. I think some skaters benefit from "pretty points", others from reputation and I'd like it to stop. I've come very close to quitting the sport out of frustration from this phenomenon...

27. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

I will never understand people who insist 6.0 is easy to understand CoP is impossible to.

I think Canadian skaters are being held to a double standard, that people are quicker to dismiss their scores as unfairly high and deride them if they say a word out of line. I don't even like Patrick, but I am getting sick of seeing him attacked.

I will forever grieve that Tanith & Ben never won anything bigger than Four Continents. I hoped to feel better if Meryl & Charlie won Worlds, but I didn't.

I'm afraid that when I see Johnny and Jeremy compete together again, I'll find the former lacking, as compared to the latter.

28. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I selfishly want the top skaters be able to skate first in the competition so that when I fall asleep, I won't miss the medal winning skates. :slinkaway

Want all competition times to fit my awake/sleep schedule so i don't miss skating or sleep because of time zones.

29. puglover

puglover Active Member

I am addicted to FSU (much to the disgust of my family) and I love to read all the comments as I watch competitions to get others impressions.

I love the sappy romantic programs that many others hate.

I have always thought Carolina Kostner was a great skater and I am so happy she has a World gold medal.

I am not a fan of skating costumes that have bits of sheer fabric hanging from them that look like coloured toilet paper - and I especially dislike it on male skaters.

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

They haven't. At least not officially.

(((((mtnskater)))))