Confess your sins

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by alchemy void, May 10, 2012.

1. IneZR

IneZR New Member

I like Plushy and really enjoyed his skating at this year's Euros.

I find Patrick Chan very annoying.

I think that Kavaguti/Smirnov make a very odd pairing and look very mismatched together. Every time I watch their 'Claire de Lune' program I can't help but imagine Elena/Anton skating to this. Now that would be awesome!

I think that Morozov is a good coach and knows how to bring out the best in his students.

During Michelle Kwan/Irina Slutskaya rivarly I always rooted for Irina.

I thought that Elena Sokolova should have won the bronze instead of Sasha at '06 Worlds in Calgary.

I tend to like programs that most of the figure skating fans hate: I loved Navka's 'Pink Panther', Dom/Shab's 'Spartacus', Amodio's last year's LP and Slutskaya's 2005 LP.

I still think that 'Samson and Delilah' is the best FD D/W ever had and 'Fledermaus' is just blah.

2. tut88

tut88 Member

well they were two kids back there

3. tut88

tut88 Member

I loved Winkler-Lohse , the clocks FP, and ALL their OD !
    Even Rene's arms doing the same movements in all programs
    :D

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I haven't yet watched the ladies FD from the Olympics..

I wanted to like Volosozhar/Trankov more than Aljona/Robin but I still like them more.

I like Bobrova/Soloviev even with their costumes and I will be laughing a lot when people will get converted.

I'm a huge fan of V/M yet sometimes I can't stand them when I read all the mussy descriptions some fans come up with.They completely destroy them for me.And no I don't find their chemistry to be romantic.I find all current ice dancers to have the same amount of chemistry between the twizzles and spins

I never thought T/D should have won in 1994.I thought they were old people dressed like teenagers.Now that I'm as old as they were,I think they were extremely young and fresh looking!

I loved N/K Pink Panther/Austin Powers FD!!!

I never loved Anissina/Peizerat and I feel so bad saying this..Sorry...

And I'm a Plushenko fan...a real sinner...

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Same here!

I have always liked Elvis (not crazy about some of his recent comments), but I do feel he should have won Olympic gold in 1994 (nothing personal against Alexei Urmanov). Justice was done @ 1994 Worlds, though.

I thought Rachel Flatt was undermarked at US Nationals this season. I know she had problems in her sp, but she was on fire in her free skate.

Can't stand all the emphasis on the quad! It's one jump. What about the rest of the program?

Hate the butt spin - so overused and ugly to watch

Meryl & Charlie should have been on the World podium in 2009. As wonderful as they were with Samson & Delilah @ US Nationals that year, they were even better @ Worlds. I do love their "Die Fledermaus" free dance, too.

I don't care for Mishin as a coach. He has always struck me as dismissive of North American men's skaters (and possibly other skaters not under his tutelage).

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  6. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I don't care for voidy. Simpler choreography performed cleanly and neat is far more compelling to me.

I prefer V/T over S/S, but I want S/S to win gold and V/T to get silver at Sochi. :shuffle: Also, Trankov completely overshares on twitter.

I vastly prefer V/M over D/W, but I would be okay with V/W retiring in London 2013 Worlds so that D/W could win gold in Sochi unequivocally.

Krylova and Carmerlengo's "magic" is overrated.

Dance only became relevant to me in 2008.

7. Lynne in Minn.

Lynne in Minn. New Member

I liked Brian Orser's skating better than Brian Boitano's.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. winterone

winterone Banned Member

I was glad to see R Flatt do a SPLATT at nationals.

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I prefer Miki Ando to Mao Asada

I secretly enjoy Michal Brezina's odd costumes (American in Paris, Untouchables), as well as these programs, even though they are both pretty crappy and well below his potential.

I don't understand how P/B are world medalists. W/P are so much better.

I still like Risa Shoji better than Haruka Imai and think she's the better skater.

I appreciate Caydee Denney's OTT makeup, tan, bleached hair, and strange hairdos on some level.

I think Adam Rippon's beautiful curly hair is the primary reason he's made 2 world teams.

I like Evan Lysacek's skating.

10. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

Morozov's an excellent coach.

While watching Joubert skating, I can't keep my eyes from his nice butt!

I wish we could zip Chan's mouth. He's overrated. I think he peaked this season.

Yuna was very talented but just overrated. Her facial expressions were simply exagerated.

Arakawa can still win medals. She still jumps triples and 2-3.

I wish Johnny Weir wasn't gay. Love him!

Speedy is an as....le. Should retire.

Elizaveta's SP was gorgeous !

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Morozov's an asshole, but he's very good at making his skaters feel confident, and improving basics.

Nothing will convince him that Chan is better than Daisuke. And yes, I've seen them both live.

I, too, like N/K's pink panther.

I don't think Yu-Na Kim is the be all and end of all of ladies' skating and I find that, overall, she made very little impact on the sport.

I think Mao is more artistic than Yu-Na. Her Wizard of Oz program made me cry. :shuffle:

I think the top ice dancing teams are a complete bore. Take off the music and anything D/W and V/M do looks exactly the same. Generic to the extreme.

12. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I have never liked Jeremey Abbot since he won his first nationals and was making those weird faces in the K&C.

I never got the Yuna hype at all although she did deserve her OGM. I don't think she will become a skating icon anywhere other than Korea.

Rachel Flatt's LP at nationals this year almost made me tear up. She looked so excited to be on the ice and it was nice to see.

When Sarah placed 6th at 2003 worlds, I was REALLY happy.

I wish Kimmie did not injure herself, and we could have seen her grow as a skater.

Pairs skating usually puts me to sleep!

13. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

I hate CoP with a purple passion

I hate quads

I thought Oksana deserved to win over Nancy

I think Johnny Weir utterly wasted his talent

I absolutely do not get Kavaguti/Smirnov - mismatched, don't like her long dresses

Post S/Z, Chinese pairs are never going to get to the top until they stop starving the woman of the pair

Michelle wuz robbed

I never thought Artur Dmitriev was even close to being a good skater

If I see one more eastern European woman skater with champagne colored hair I'm going to swallow glass

14. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Me too.

- I too love "Bells of Moscow." Ditto for "Malaguena."
    - Vocal music should never be allowed in competition programs. Besides that, GFB's should never be allowed in exhibition programs!
    - I hope the US Men's 2014 Olympic team will be Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, and either Adam Rippon or a skater to be named later.
    - I still fanatsize about skating with Brian Boitano.
    - I have skated with Snoopy.
    - I think Alissa Czisny will win international gold at least once before she retires from competition.
    - I still laugh remembering Karel Zalenka's five golden *e*ises costume.
    - I have always liked Rena Inoue and John Baldwin and never understood the haterzz.
    - I prefer Rachael Flatt's hair long and in a nice updo.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  15. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Artistically, I don't find Yu-Na Kim to be that great either. Though I'm from a Korean family, she's hardly my favorite female figure skater.

16. SidelineSkater

SidelineSkater New Member

I loved Jeremy Abbott's LP this year, but my partner calls him ragdoll due to some of the choreo. His 09-10 LP had some 'i have a headache/washing my hair' choreo.

Yuna was amazing, but not the be all end all...bonus points because she usually had all the jumps in a program...where most of the other ladies at the time didn't have the full set consistently.

I think Virtue and Moir are overrated, and I don't like the attitude.

I enjoyed S/S Pink Panther.

I was pissed Tara won OGM over Michelle.

One time I called Nicole Bobek trailer trash on ice. Love her!

I hate the broken leg spin more than the butt spin.

I secretly hope Alissa ends up on a world podium.

I think Frank Carrol looks like everyone's dirty old uncle.

And worst of all, I actually like the hot mess of Bobrova/Soloviev, esp their Chess SD in 2011.

The ISU should be penalized for the Latin SD this year. All those horrid costumes. Puhlease.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I never really got Michelle Kwan, or (FSU heresy) Matt Savoie.

I don't find Meryl Davis beautiful, conventionally or otherwise, I'm tired of her Disney princess dresses, and I really don't like D/W. At all.

I've rarely seen an appealing level 4 step sequence.

I wish KvdP had won 2011 Skate America.

I thought Pechalat's toilet paper costume and Bourzat in a skirt and eyeliner was one of the sartorial highlights of the year.

I disliked Dai's Techno Swan so much that I was happy he finished out of the medals at 2008 Worlds (more so because I approved of that year's podium). I did love Bachelorette, so I'm glad he was in the gala.

While I don't like Miki Ando all that much as a skater, I totally get a kick out of her being a two-time World champion. And that she's been credited with a 4S, unlike most of the men's skaters currently competing.

No skating program has ever moved me to tears, though some K&C/medal ceremony reactions have come close.

18. xxxtiffxxx

xxxtiffxxx Member

I always thought so too :slinkaway.

19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

A lot of these are opinions that are widely held. :confused: You hate CoP? So do a lot of people. You think Chan is boring? So do a lot of people.

Mine:

Bolero is dull

"Winter" is Yagudin's worst sp ever

Chait and Sakhnovski deserved their bronze medal

Davis and White's FDs from 2007-2010 are the same program to different music

snowbird and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I don't get the Virtue and Moir fanaticism at all, I find her bland and her costumes are the dowdiest I've ever seen (showing some skin is not evil, Tessa). Add in his "sparkling" attitude, and they should be renamed "Overrated and Entitled."

I believe Mirai Nagasu is rapidly on her way to being another great waste of figure skating talent (behind Harding, Bobek, and Bowman and a few others) if she doesn't get her act together and work hard. She has shown she can do it but she has to work for it.

I, too, miss Michelle Kwan.

I could not stand Caroline Zhang and her cutesiness when she first came onto the skating scene, but I admire how hard she has worked over the past few years and consider myself a fan now. She is a great example of where determination and hard work can get you.

I want to see Alissa Czisny back for one more, much better year just so she goes out on a better note.

I really like Denney/Coughlin, and the way some fans painted Coughlin the devil incarnate and Yanskowskas almost a saint after their breakup was really over the top.

I just don't quite get the appeal of Jeremy Abbott; something about him comes off way too goofy for me, and his inconsistency aside from Nationals doesn't help.

I want to see Evan Lysacek come back strong if that's what he really wants to do. Love him, love his skating.

I think YuNa Kim is a great skater, but the best ever? No. An OGM does not make up for all her World's inconsistencies in my book, especially when she didn't even really appear to prepare for the last two Worlds she skated in.

21. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Ok, here is a true sin (as opposed to an unpopular opinion): Last February I threw my favorite male skater Jeremy Abbott under the bus.

I said, "If I have to choose between my New York Giants winning the SuperBowl and my Jeremy doing well at Worlds, then I pick my Giants a thousand times over!" And then, my Giants won the SuperBowl, and after I finished cheering and partying, I hoped against hope that the SkateGods hadn't heard my earlier proclamation...but alas...! :wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed:

And you know what's worse? If I had to pick again, I'd make the same choice... what kind of skating fan am I??? :eek: :slinkaway

22. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

This should be a long list...

-All of the Zoueva/Schpilband dances are shite. They all look the same and the choreo sucks.

-I don't get V/M, D/W, the Shibs, they are all the same generic teams to me.

-I think Maxim Shabalin is hot. So is Hao Zhang. :smokin:

-The whole DomShabs aborigine OD (as horrible as that program was) thing was so unnecessary and blown out of proportion.

-I wished that the 2010 Olympics dance podim was the same as the 2007 Euros dance podium (triple D/S!!), in any order. Hate how they just took themselves out of contention.

-I like OTT dances.

-I liked B/S Delilah SD.

-Latin music and dances/programs should be banned. For good.

-I'm in favor of the age limit for skaters.

-V/T are good but them trying (and not being successful) to look edgy is just horrible. If you want true edgy, go for S/S.

-My favourite US lady of the past few years was Kimmie Meissner.

-I'm a Leonova fan. Just love her.

-The best single skaters these days are Akiko Suzuki and Takahiko Kozuka. Hands down. (This comes from a Takahashi fan) Mao is nice, but I don't "get" her.

-The Untouchables was my favourite DelSchoes' dance.

-Compulsory dances are fabulous.

-Hate when people start hyping junior skaters.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
    Jenya and (deleted member) like this.
  23. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I used to be a fangirl for Yags, but I grew up and realized that he actually is pretty overrated. His choreo was a bit one dimentional and way sensationalized; he had a ton of two-foot skating, had no transitions, and watching him in restrospect his programs are kinda boring for my current taste. The quad era made him a champion, otherwise... But he's not to be singled out. Most of the top comtenders from the 1998-2002 era are all pretty dull by today's standards.
    So THERE! :HA!:

I don't find Michelle Kwan that elegant TBH. She does emote well, but she never really learned to use her arms IMO. Her neck is always a bit hunched and her posture could be better. And she had no transitions :p

Jeff Buttle never appealed to me either, as much as I respected his artistic integrity. Something about the way he moves was unnatural and always bothered me. Maybe it's the way he hyper extends his neck.

I find pairs quite boring except for a very few teams (Lurrrves TakaTran!). And V/T don't do it for me at all. Definitely not the way I had expected them to. I don't even know if they can pull of a classically elegant program like they are supposed to like a good Russian pair.

Johnny Weir is boring and predictable. Especially his skating.

24. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

I love Requiem for the Dream soundtrack and get excited every time someone skates to it!

I think Yagudin was/is overrated.

I liked Amodio's tiger shirt.

25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So as not to tempt the Skate Gods, I will not mention who, but I secretly wish for certain judges' favorites to bomb spectacularly, just to see what it will actually take for the judges to dump them (hint - they are pretty).

:EVILLE:

the first thing I check out on male skaters is the tush, and that can contribute to how much I like them :eek:

I find US pairs thrilling at the moment :confused:

I'd trade in strong US Ice Dancers for stronger US skaters in any of the other 3 disciplines

I can listen to Tosca forever

I'm neither a Chan fan nor a hater. He inspires absolutely no emotional reaction in me. He's just 'there'

I liked Tim Goebel as an amateur.

I never 'got' Jeff Buttle or his scores.

I find Tuk and Sotnikova to be 'meh' (I could warm up to Lipnitskaya)

26. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

LMAO.

I HATE the Giants.

27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

As much as I respect and admire Evan Lysacek for his work ethic, which I think is the absolute best, I enjoyed a little bit when he was criticized for his just-average-blah quality jumps and winning OG without a quad.

But I believe he'll be even more competitive than Johnny will ever be in upcoming seasons.

I never understood Totmianina's decision to stick with Marinin after that horrible accident and other numerous ones. (But it well-payed eventually.)

I find Plushy's command on ice more appealing and charismatic than Yagudin's.

I feel tremendous impact of Lori Nichol on judges because most of clients get over-marked in very suspicious circumstances or dubious calls on step levels. She's a go-to lady when you want a boost.

I prefer Yuna of Miss Saigon to Yuna of Danse Macabre.

I wish Yuna had pointed her toe or turned out in her layback spin at least just to nose down the complainers of her "lines."

I don't get Pang/Tong appreciation all that much.

I absolutely loved Carolina's unitard costume this season.

I don't think Mao could ever come back as strong as she was before. I lament her talent wasted recently:(

I think cheesy and tacky programs very well suited Florent and he should stick with these styles.

I appreciate Alena for her funky personality/style on ice. Almost breaking a pwetty pwincess stereotype on female skaters. Only if she had better skating skills.

It's no sin to be exact, I have serious complaint about SD and trashing CD was ISU's one of many many mistakes.

28. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Most of these are popular FSU opinions...

29. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

This is slowly turning into the "Irrational Reasons for Disliking Skaters" thread from a few years ago.

30. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I thought this was the "Say Whatever You Want!" thread.