Complications from Sinus Infection/Antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kylet3, Sep 10, 2012.

1. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Hi There,

Just posting out there to see if anyone else has gone through the same thing I have recently... What happened is I got a sinus infection, normally I go, get antibiotics and it clears up in about 7-10 days and I'm good to go, but after this last round of antibiotics I think there could be a more complicated problem...

I was prescribed something called clavulin, while I've had it before, this time it completely shredded my insides, nasty stomach ache, side pains, plumbing issues, the works, so after about 4-5 days I stopped it, but this was about two weeks and I'm still having some issues, before the weakness, lethargy, dizziness, etc were really bad, lack of appetite, things are starting to come back slowly, but I don't know, I don't really feel 100% quite yet, I've done all kinds of blood and other kinds of testing but nothing is showing up,

Is there anyone who's gone through something similar? Did you get better?

2. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Hi, queen of sinus infection here :)

Clavulin also causes havoc for me, being the worst
    number 2 coming out like number 1
    :slinkaway, but that was expected (for me) because of the amoxilin in it.

You really shouldn't have stopped, despite all of the symptoms. If you don't take the full course of antibiotics, the bacteria gets stronger and comes back with vengeance. That is, unless your doctor took you out of the medication,

I'd say the non digestive symptoms are probably related to the infection itself. My doctor always gives me a whole bunch of anti infalmmatories. It takes time for your body to bounce back completely.

Best of luck.

3. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Oh no, doctor told me to stop taking it because it was just doing a number on my stomach, nose is okay, just a little bit of the phlegm/frog in the throat but that's it for the sinus really, I took biaxin for a few days afterwards just to see if that would work. I hear what you mean for what you put in the spoiler text, that's what was happening to me.

Did you have the lack of appetite, dizziness, nausea and all the other stuff too?

4. beepbeep

Lack of appetite, yes.
    Those are common side effects of the amoxilin, but it's strange to still have them two weeks later...:confused:

Sorry I can't be much help...

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

actually going on week 3...:slinkaway

6. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Dizziness could be an inner ear issue caused either by the infection or the antibiotics. I had that issue with my last bout of flu.

There are some eye exercises you can do that really do help. Try googling dizziness and eye exercises. I was skeptical but they do help and once you get the dizziness under control, the nausea could be helped as well. The other will take some time.

Antibiotics always throw me for a loop and the side effects seem to get more pronounced as I get older. Good luck.

7. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Antibiotics can destroy the normal bacteria that live in the intestines, triggering diarrhea and digestion problems. One way of dealing with this side effect is to take acidophilus (you can get in in the drugstore) or eat yogurt while on the antibiotics.

I've suffered from chronic sinusitis for years, and sometimes had to be on antibiotics for 4 weeks at a stretch. Acidophilus helped me to avoid severe GI problems. I'm having sinus surgery tomorrow, and hope that puts an end to my problem!

8. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Deviated septum surgery? Hope it goes well!

9. beepbeep

Good tip ;)

Good luck on your surgery.
    I'm going tomorrow to see a doctor about my nose.
    I'm done with it, even if it takes drilling through my nostrlis :lol:

10. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I wish I could get a doctor to do the surgery on me, actually if I had my way, he'd fix the sinuses, take out my tonsils and get rid of my appendix all at the same time :lol:

11. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

My sister had a bad ear infection a while back and the Dr. put her on a strong antibiotic. She developed Clostridium Difficile Colitis from the antibiotic. She was pretty sick and lost a lot of weight from it.

12. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

because you have problems/serious illnesses with them all?

I've had my appendix out - there were complications related to the manipulation of the gut. A good friend had significant complications including coding once and ongoing wound issues going on 13 months now. Certainly not an elective surgery that I would consider just because I think the appendix is an unnecessary body tissue.

Tonsils are meant to help fight off infections. Some people have issues with their tonsils, but I fought to keep mine. Not had many issues since I was 22 - I did have tonsillitis earlier this summer, probably the first time in 15 years..

Sinus surgery - for me yes. I am certainly a candidate, but my ENT/Surgeon is trying many different options to avoid it. If I have a winter like last winter, we will certainly do it sooner than later. I was on antibiotics all winter (seriously only off antibiotics for 12 days from October through March) and steroids (Oral and inhaled) all but 12 days from October through March. Did aerosol treatments 4 - 6 times most of the winter.

But NONE of those surgeries done on an elective, no reason other than get rid of them, will avoid problems/infections.

If you continue to have problems this many days post antibiotics, I would ask my doctor to do a stool test for C.Diff. It is nasty and could be the reason you still feel weak.

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Did the stool testing already and they didn't find anything apparently.

As for the surgeries it was more as a joke than anything. If I could pick one it would be for the sinus issues, I'm usually about every 3-5 months and it's not pleasant, either way this time it hasn't been fun because of those damn antibiotics, ugh, if that's what it was, never again. :S Either way, it's not been a fun year health wise, kidney stones, sinus infections, you name it. ergh.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  14. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried nasal irrigation? I bought something called the neti-pot. So hopefully that'll work.

15. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I've done it. I sometimes notice a slight improvement, particularly re: the "stale smoke" smell that seems to stay in my nose after I've had a cold or sinusitis. But it's not a lot of fun. Does feel rather like you're drowning.

Do try it to see how it works for you though. My sense is not only is it a personal thing, it's also climate-related -- seems to make more of a difference for people who live in a very dry climate. (Which Vancouver is not!) And if it does work ... well it's relatively inexpensive and free from most side-effects, so great!

16. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I live in Edmonton, air is drier than the Sahara desert some days...

17. euterpe

I just got back from the hospital after sinus surgery. Wow~ I can breathe through both nostrils for the first time in many years.

I've been using nasal irrigation for the past two years. It helps some, but it's not a cure.

What does help is altitude. When I was at the Lake Placid JGP, I felt a distinct improvement. As soon as I came back to sea level, though, my nose was spurting like Niagara Falls! So glad I had the surgery.

18. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

eutrepe what kind of sinus surgery was it? Deviated septum?

19. euterpe

I had my deviated septem straightened and had a huge polyp removed from the sinus cavity.

20. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Yup. This happened to me when I had a relatively minor stomach flu. I developed post-infectious IBS and couldn't eat anything more substantial than an apple a day for a month, and then after that was touch and go to see what my system liked. I lost 10 lbs, which I guess would be welcomed by some but definitely NOT by me. :yikes: I looked frightening, and felt like crap all the time.

It took almost a year for my stomach to get back to normal. And sometimes my intestines will go through a very minor IBS bout. Since there was nothing really wrong with my stomach, I decided that the nerves around my digestive system had to learn how to behave normally again.

I've heard it helps. My sister swears by it, although she doesn't have a classic neti pot, just a nasal irrigation bottle. A coworker of mine used to have raging sinus infections all the time, because food (like rice) would get stuck in there and then it would get infected. Now he just uses the neti pot to flush it out and then good as new. :)

It only works when you're healthy or when you feel something juuust coming on. When your sinuses are all blocked up for realz, that saline is not going anywhere!

21. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I have a sinus infection right now. I get them several times a year. I have been trying to make myself go to the doctor for a week, but, and this sounds silly, but, I feel too bad to go! I will have to go tomorrow though, I need the antibotics or I will never get better.
    I get the IB trouble too.
    I have found that eating Activa everyday helps.
    But I have to watch what I eat.

22. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I got myself a pro-biotic yesterday, either way it's been a long, slow recovery process, I'm still not up to snuff yet. It's been a really bad few weeks that's knocked me on my back side :yikes: I hate sinus infections, they drive me nuts. I just never expected these kinds of complications after taking antibiotics, either way, :blah:

23. numbers123

Latte - I fought doing the nasal rinses for over a year. But my ENT doctor (who I have had for 28 years) finally convinced me to do them. As much as I hate to say they were right, they were right. It cleans out mucous
    nasty green color at the moment, and I am trying to avoid the antibiotic route by using the rinses
    . We have added Pulmicort to the nasal washing - an inhaled steroid to try and keep the nasal passages open.

24. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Does the Pulmicort need a perscription or can you buy it over the counter?
    Same question for the Nasal Rinse. And does it have a name?
    Thanks ahead of time.

25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

The nasal rinse can be found at any drug store, I'm not sure about the other item, I haven't heard of it. I would definitely go to the doctor though and see what he/she says.

26. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

You can buy the salt (that's all a nasal rinse liquid is, a saline solution) at a health food store, it'll last you longer than the packaged liquid. Just mix it with warm distilled water.

Regular table salt burns because of the added iodine, I think. :lol:

My sister got her nasal rinse squirt bottle at CVS.

27. mkats

mkats New Member

Latte - Pulmicort requires a prescription.

28. numbers123

Yes, pulmicort is a prescription. Nasal saline rinses - you can buy the saline packets in the drug store and mix with 8 ounces of water. They recommend distilled water, but you could also use tap water. I think plenty of people have posted in the Neti-pot threads about the pros and cons of the use of Neti-pots and tap water.

29. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Went back to the doctor and got some omnaris which really seems to be helping the post nasal drip. Got some more blood work done for celiac's disease too so we should know more by Tuesday. Either way, bleh. This has not been fun.