Competitions

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Alys, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Alys

Alys New Member

I was wondering if anybody here has reached a high level of skating (like intermediate, novice, junior), and what it takes to compete -- both financially wise and mentaly wise.

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

You wrote that you are 25 yearls old. You are going to compete in adults categories, not in novice/juniors/seniors. :)

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily true. There is a guy at our rink who started skating at 21, and by 23 he was skating open-juvenile. He could have just skated adult gold, but he wanted to compete "for real".

He moved, so I don't know whether he has passed intermediate yet. Most competitions don't have age restrictions on those levels, so this poster COULD enter those categories if they want to. It just makes a lot more sense to enter adult competitions. More fun- IMO.

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

yes, in theory she could enter those categories, but I don't think it is any pleasant to be competing with children who are 10-15 years younger. It feels weird.

5. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Unless you want to compete in Open Juvenile, you will need to pass the Novice Freestyle test before you can compete in standard track (since there is an age limit in Intermediate).

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think it was just a general question.

7. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

My experience.

I started skating when I was 12, in aussie skate classes (basic learn to skate). At the time they were $100 for 10 classes, with 2 hours of practice time included each week.

Within 6 months I was skating twice a week, and within a year I was finished with learn to skate and had private coaching. First of all at 2 lessons a week ($25 per lesson) with an extra day training with no lesson.

2 years in i skated 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, with 2 off ice sessions a week. THis stayed about the same i guess until I stopped competing at 17. Years 9, 10 and 11 I missed a lot of school, and had to make up the classes in my free time (the agreement with my parents was that I have to average A's to be allowed to keep skating)

This was in the 90's, but I'm guessing with lessons, off ice and petrol to the rink (we lived 45 minutes away) it was about $200 a week. Skates, dresses etc were extra. I worked in my parents resteraunt to help out with the money.

Hope that gives you some idea. It takes A LOT of time and dedication. I didn't go to parties, friends houses after school, have new clothes or eat junk food, however it was a choice I made, and I was lucky to have supportive parents.

Mentally wise, skating was the only thing i thought about, everything was a side issue to me. I trusted my coaches 150%. I dont think I have any lasting mental effects, other than some body issues (which working in fashion, I would possibly have anyway).

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Interesting figures.
    But these are for teen skaters. If you are an adult, you will most likely take part in adult competitions. There are those for nearly every level.
    How much time and money you spend is up to you.

You can spend A LOT with private coaching, ice time etc and then you will improve faster and skater better.
    But you can also get by with very little coaching. I have to do it because I don't have the opportunity very often to have a coach (because there is no one in my town or surrounding area) and I still enjoy skating and make progress. But every time I do have a private or group lesson I realize how much further along I would be if I had access to that regularly.
    So, it depends mostly on you and your means. You can get by with spending very little but the outcome won't be as great as if you spend a lot on quality coaching.

Mentally - well, it depends on you. Most skaters are nervous in a competition. For some the nerves help, for some it hinders them. You have to try to see how it feels.

How far along are you in your skating? Do you do jumps already? You sound like you have just started, is that right?