Commercials you hate...round whatever

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by numbers123, Jan 4, 2010.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I agree with most of these. I like the Geico gecko. Totally loathe the stupid cavemen though.

I also hate the Sarah McLachlan dog commercial... mostly cause I hate the song "Angel", though, to be perfectly honest.

2. libby

libby New Member

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one. I feel so guilty whenever that commercial comes on because it creeps me out so much I have to change the channel. I know it's for a good charity and the kids really are very needy, but that overly weepy voice just comes across as so cloyingly manipulative that it absolutely makes my skin crawl.

I also hate the one for some constipation pill (I forget which one) where the woman is sitting with her mother and chirps "My mom helped me! She helped me with my problem!" and then acts all appalled when her mother says that she recommended a pill for constipation because "that's what moms do".

3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

It got me to give them money....$18 a month. But I've always supported animal charities. :)

There was some life insurance commercial, and the guy was like, "I'll do it tomorrow," and the woman says, "But what if something happens to you? What'll happen to me and the kids?" And everytime, I scream at the TV and say, "You'll get an effing job, that's what'll happen, like millions of other women have had to do." Gah. I hate helpless women.

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am sick of the ATT rollover minutes family too.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I also hate the Comcast vs. Verizon one with the big red-headed actor in it!!! Once again, beating a dead horse! He has hosted a show on AMC, and I like him less and less every time I see him.

6. mkats

mkats New Member

We get that in VA too, but I think it's Jared's :p

7. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I think the ad is nationwide because I see it in Arizona all.the.time. Annoys me no end.

8. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I hate this commercial because it similar to what society seems to think is ok, pretty wins out everytime. Plus, I can't determine if the one girl is of a different ethnic background and that totally disturbs me as to the message sent.

He went to Jared's. He.went.to.Jared's. So big frickin' deal.

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

10. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I hate the one for the Dr. Scholls (sp?) skin tag removal kit. It just grosses me out for some reason.

11. icecat

icecat Active Member

There are 2 commercials about "encouragement" on the air...one I enjoy, one I can't stand. I like the one with the little boy taking the stage at the concert, and playing Chopsticks. The pianist comes out and plays accompaniment as the boy continues..they both bow and it says "Encouragement, pass it on."
    The one I don't like is the mom trying her less than coordinated son in every sport imaginable only to have him fail horribly and finally he is on stage singing a solo as a now satisfied that he is competant mom looks on and smiles...like she actually accomplished something...grrrrr.

12. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

Yeah, seriously. If he had any real class, he wouldn't be buying your engagement ring in a strip mall. :blah:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My cat lost her collar outside one day. My husband found it and when I saw it was back on her, I said "hey, where did you find that?" He said "I went to Jared's." :lol:

Cyn, Jubak, Rex and 3 others like this.
  14. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

15. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

It hadn't even occurred to me to categorize the two girls like that. I was thinking the other day, maybe they cast the dark-haired girl that way because she was the better actress; I love the look she gives him. I guess it shows how oblivious I am sometimes.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Maybe I am seeing too much - but if this middle class midwestern caucasian middle age woman wonders about it, I wonder who else views it that way. :wideeyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    AYS and (deleted member) like this.
  17. ISk8OldSchool

ISk8OldSchool New Member

18. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

:wall:
    I just watched this on utube......CRINGE! :yikes: Of course, if that guy was my step-brother or first cousin....just sayin' :shuffle:

19. grimey

grimey bird is the word

the Musenix(sp?) commerical with all the green cartoony Mucus things are really annoying.

and I am sure the "Slap Chop" has been mentioned in the past.

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

OMG, so there. This came on the other day and the WTF??? look on my sister's face was hilarious. I don't know how anyone watched that and thought it was anything other than creepy.

21. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

I HATE the Hillshire Farms commercials!:blah:

22. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

Jamie Lee Curtis lost all her cred to me when she started shilling Activia. I detest all those commercials. I dont' care who has bowel problems.

I wonder if those commercials with the kids are filmed spontaneously. They really look it. The reactions are too pure for children that age.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You say HILLSHIRE! I say FARMS! Goooooooooooooooooooooooo MEAT!!!

I know, it's annoying! :D

24. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

I like those commercials. :slinkaway

25. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I hate the weight-loss commerical where the woman whose name I can't remember catches a football tossed from approximately 2 feet away--maybe less--and says, "Now, how many girls can do that

26. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

I agree, they might as well have a slogan that says "Diamonds get you laid"

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Well, annoying as they are, they are marginally better than those Encore TV dinner commercials with Richard Kind. Hey Richie, you are one of George Clooney's best buds - can't he get you work somewhere??

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

how come in the Ricola ads, the yodeler says it REE co la and then some nasal flat voiced American says it, ri COL a in the same ad?

29. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I never saw it that way either -- and I'm a mcmcmaw, too. Just call me clueless, I guess (or mcmcmaw) :lol: Seriously, though, I've just focussed on what a nasty trick the bait-and-switch is -- and my mother gets all :wuzrobbed about the "poor little kids that mean man tricks" as if they weren't all acting. I guess I'm rather hard-hearted as well (although I do have to change the channel or at least look away when the Sarah McLachlan humane society commercial comes on lest I suffer massive guilt for not sending 50% of my take-home pay to them).

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Count me among the ASPCA and Child Fund avoiders. I just love the part when the ASPCE tells you you'll get a photo of a pet in a shelter, as if that's something I'd want.

Hate the cavemen, kinda like the gecko.

I did a lot of coursework in marketing and have some professional experience from earlier in my career. I love looking at the ad blocks then letting my husband know the core demographic of the show we're watching. FWIW, news is white people over age 50, so that's where all the phama commercials go.