Comedian Andy Kaufman 'faked his death', brother claims

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by orientalplane, Nov 14, 2013.

1. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24939133

I remember a few years ago reading about an American actor who had died of lung cancer despite being just 35, never having smoked a cigarette, and after living a generally very healthy life, including (YMMV) being a vegetarian. His death seemed to have attracted a lot of attention because of these factors, which presumably made it in most people's eyes less easy to explain away and more of a tragedy than if he'd been 95. Sadly, FSUers have recently been reminded that a healthy lifestyle doesn't necessarily keep you healthy, but it remains quite rare to die so young of a cancer which is primarily caused by smoking. I don't think I would ever have remembered his name again (which I'd never heard before and which was doubtless better known to most Americans) unless I'd seen this article. Nonsense? Just a practical joke by his brother and 'daughter'? Could he have faked an illness of this kind - perhaps if he'd paid a few people enough to keep quiet? I've no idea. Interesting, though.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

He would have thought this was hilarious. I wonder if he put his brother up to it before he died, and left money to hire an actress to do this.

3. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

There have been a number of rumours over the years that Andy is still alive (check this out), but all of them proved to be unfounded. In relation to the new rumour, Smoking Gun report that the woman alleged to be Andy's daughter is actually an actress hired by Andy's brother to play the role. It's the kind of stunt that Andy would have really enjoyed! A nice tribute from his brother to keep Andy's fans laughing, and I wonder how many fell for it!

Andy undoubtedly died back in 1984. He made several appearances around 4 months before he died, and he was looking rather gaunt and ill.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I watched "Man on the Moon" a while back and that is the only reason why I know what this is about. Some people are genuinely funny and Andy was one of them, after watching the movie(starring Jim Carrey) I watched the original clips played by Andy, and while I didn't laugh once with Carrey I did with him.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

This!

Coincidentally, I finally got around to seeing the movie Man in the Moon just a couple of weeks ago. I like Jim Carrey in some of his serious roles (but find him unbearable when he's doing his schtick) -- this was a perfect part for him, he nailed it. I don't know how much of the film was true and how much fiction, but it certainly showed many sides of Andy Kaufman.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Andy Kaufman was a genius. This is my favorite bit of his, because very few people can make the audience uncomfortable and make them laugh at the same time. Or make them wonder WTF is this all about :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGx94VPb8V8

If he is still alive and living in anonymity, and is happy, more power to him.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This rumor has been making the rounds for many years; mostly because he was so eccentric and his death was an unexpected surprise.
    Andy was indeed a genius, influencing an entire generation of comedians.

8. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Has it? Sorry; I wasn't really aware of his (non) existence before I noticed that this was the most read story on the BBC website. :slinkaway

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Yes. He's kind of like Elvis in that way. Speaking of which:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKUcXNq_xk

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Whether he left directions putting his brother up to it, or whether he is alive and pulling the longest-running ultimate practical joke on everyone, it's pretty impressive.