Come out, come out wherever you are!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingpj, Oct 20, 2010.

1. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

At this point, none of the Olympic champions are competing in the Grand Prix events (I am personally doubtful that V/M will be ready for TEB) - in your opinion- who will show themselves as the early favourites and why?

With the success of last year's iAsk questions for CBC - I have been asked to post questions again in advance of the broadcasts and am looking for responses. If you are ok with being quoted on the air - please put an OK at the end of your response. If you would rather not and just post about the topic - that's totally fine. Either way - thanks to the FSUers for being as passionate about the sport as I am! Pj

2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think Davis-White will be in there own league in this season without V-M at GP, and then V-M couldnt be so ready for WCh (even if they will skate), like D-W will be after all this competition in the season.

And i think Pan-Tong will be favorites of this season too.

I am not sure somebody from OGM will return to compete (at least in this season). What do you think about this, PJ?

3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

But when was the last time the Olympic champion went to the Grand Prix?
    I know Urmanov did, but anyone after him?

4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

In think Yagudin made this. He skated at SA in 2002-2003 season. But then withdraw because his injury.

5. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Current World Champs in 3 categories will be there and sure to dominate (Mao, Dai and Pang/Tong). I agree that, in Dance, Davis/White should be the class of the field BUT we all know how the Russian Federation has a way of "ensuring" Instant-Dance-Champs who go straight to the top after Juniors or even from the middle of the pack at the last Olympics...so I would not be surprised to suddenly see Bobrova/Soloviev or even Ilynikh/Katsapolov (sp?) suddenly jump to the senior podium. Piseev knows what wheels to grease.

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But maybe not in this season ;)

7. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

B&S's SD sucks, so they're gonna need a kick-ass FD to keep them in the running imo.

It's I&K's first year as seniors, so I wouldn't count on them getting on a major podium this season. But yes, by the Olympics, I think they'll be top contenders.

8. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Yagudin went to Skate America against his doctor's advice, then had to withdraw. He ended his amateur career later in that season. (Oops, the same answer as Pani gave.)

Urmanov continued his amateur career, but did skip the earlier competitions the year after his 1994 Olympic gold.

Other than Yagudin, to my knowledge, none of the olympic champions participated in the ISU Grand prix series the year after their olympic golds since the beginning of the ISU champions series (1995) until this year.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yeah, maybe the Alfa Bank closed down Piseev's account. ;)

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don’t think P/T are the clear cut favorites in pairs – IMO, they’re way overated and were incredibly gifted in the LP at Worlds. S/S are better when they’re on – the problem is that they’re not on often enough. It’ll come down to who is better on the day.

Mao is way ahead of the pack this year, but she can be inconsistent. Miki should still do well, and I hope Nagasu can make a big move. I’ll be interested to see how newcomers Murakami and Zawadzki do this year.

No one can beat Daisuke when he’s on, IMO.

As for dance, with V/M gone, D/W should easily dominate. I also expect Pechalat/Bourzat and Crone/Poirier to do well. I hope I/K do well, but I’m not counting on it – but for the record, I think they desere every single point they’ve earned if not more. :p

OK

11. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Why not?

Just curious.

I think they can make top 10 at least.

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Oh, everyone seems to be predicting that they'll win medals everywhere due to Piseev :)rolleyes:). I'm just trying to keep realistic expectations - that they will do well, but not spectacularly. They are young and new to the senior scene, after all. I definitely think they can make top 10 at Worlds and top 5 at Europeans.

13. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Oh yeah, I get where you're coming from.

They ain't G&G and this isn't pairs, they're not gonna win Worlds straight off. :lol:

If B&S do well on the GP, I think they'll be Russia number 1, but if not, I think I&K might get that push.

14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Theoretically Mao should dominate in ladies, but she has a problem with consistency. Nagasu or Flatt could challenge her. If Lepisto gets healthy, she's always a challenge.

Adam Rippon should move into the top ranks this season. Abbott is like Mao in some ways. He has the talent, but nobody knows what he'll do until the skate is over.

Pairs will be dominated by the Russians this quad, but this year is somewhat open due to injuries and partner changes. P/T may stay on top of the podium, but this is the last year for them. There are too many much better Russian teams that will be in play by next season. S/S may be hungry enough for a world title. I'm not certain if they're hungry enough to hang in for four more years.

15. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I agree, I think Adam will be a big challenger for men. I don't think Abbott will stay atop much, but we'll see.

Mao and Mirai...and maybe Rachael if she improved her presentation.

I know nothing about pairs...although I hope a pair comes along that grabs my attention again like Shen and Zhao did, or a good Russian pair. It used to be one of my favorites to watch...now I'm rather meh about it.

Davis and White will be at the top I think, in dance, providing they didn't try to deviate *too* much from what they've been doing.

16. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

For dance it is an easy guess: D/W. They are ahead of the pack, and with B/A and D/S retired they on paper seem to be ahead of the pack.

For pairs I don't think there is a clear favorite. Both P/T and S/S did very well last year. K/S are out of the GP? so they can't be an 'early favorite', but they will be in the mix. There is also a lot of new pairs formed with top skaters, they could make a splash.

For ladies, it will probably be Mao Asada, however last year she was inconsistent in the GP. Miki Ando will be another contender. Carolina Kostner is very inconsistent, and I think it may be hit and miss from the American and Finnish ladies. If Joannie Rochette competes this season I would not count her out, she will be in the top.

The men will depend on how Daisuke's knee holds up, but he is the one to beat. I think he will be the clear favorite.

OK

17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Pairs is pretty boring this year, not many top teams. P/T and S/S will win both of their competions and D/D will win Canada and atleast a second place in Russia depending how well K/S skate. Those three will be medalists in the GPF unless someone implodes. B/L should be second at both competitions (maybe 3rd, but I doubt it) and about 4th or 5th in the GPF depending how the two America teams skate. E/L, D/B and B/L will fight for the 4-6th places.

I hope the other teams use this opportunity to get some much needed expirence, I can only assume once the Russian teams come back next year (K/S, V/T and M/B) the field will be crowded and some pairs won't get to skate as much.

I wish they would expand the pairs to 10 and not just 8.

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Ashley Wagner has---in an unusually short time---corrected her technique problems. This was even commented on by one of the reviewers of ATS. So I expect her to do well.
    Actually I think the finals will consist of 3 Japanese ladies and 3 American ladies: Asada,
    Ando, Suzuki and Wagner, Flatt, Nagasu.

19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Based on the title, I thought this thread was going to be about something else. :shuffle:

20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Oh, Casken -- me too.

21. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Early in 2008, Evan Lysacek suffered an injury and had to withdraw from Worlds. One of the moderators over at GoldenSkate posted a thread titled "Evan is out!" Several of us got the wrong idea, and the title was changed. :lol:

To be fair, Tessa and Scott planned to be in the Grand Prix.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  22. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

The ladies field is quite interesting on the GP this year. With no Yu-Na competing and Mao looking a bit inconsistent as she re-tools her technique, it really is anyone's game.

I expect Mao to win NHK this weekend, but there will certainly be girls nipping at her heels. Korpi has looked solid at Nebelhorn and Finlandia thus far, and Kanako Murakami put up a big SP score at her regional competition a few weeks ago. And then there's the trio of American girls: Flatt (who won't have school to focus on this year), Wagner (still looking for her breakout season) and Zhang (with a new coach and reportedly new technique). With no definite favorite for Nationals in January, the GP series could be very important for U.S. ladies to "make their mark," so to speak.

For the rest of the series, I like Zawadzki's chances against a watered-down field at Skate Canada, and Japan's Ando and Suzuki should do just fine in their events, too.

Overall, this could be a very big year for new seniors to start establishing themselves for the new quadrennium, while past also-rans look to finally step up.

OK

23. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

I thought this was another Johnny Weir thread :eek:

24. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe it's too soon, but I&K are very good (or at least, I found them really good as junior !)

25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Why did you think that ? :saint: ;)

26. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Pj, for the ladies, the one i'm watching out is Ashley Wagner. Mao is now fixing her jump technique all over again and doing the full set of triple jumps in her program, which will give her problems I think. Ando, Suzuki, Nagasu, are contenders as well. And as always, the Euro ladies are the wild card.

I think Crone&Poirier will enjoy a fruitful season. With two of the Zoueva teams out I think they should easily medal in their events and finish well in the GPF.

Daisuke Takahashi should be unbeatable season barring unexpected injury problems again. He is the only skater right now with the "it" factor.

In pairs, i think Dube/Davison will take advantage of the fact that 3 strong teams from last season are gone. They will probably look a lot better this season following a somewhat embarassing showing in Vancouver. It all depends if Jessica can actually land her 3s.

ok

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  27. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I love the man and want him to dominate. However, at the beginning of the season he always seems to have stamina problems with his long program, so I don't expect him to dominate early on. But by the end of the year, I think he'll be leader of the pack. :cheer2:

28. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

No one put "OK" after their post.

OK ;)

29. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

I hope he won't peak too early though..i'd rather not remember 2008 worlds. :eek: After the surgury i think he is getting more adjusted to his new body. I though, am giddy with excitement that he landed his first quad toe in over 2 years, just a few weeks ago!

30. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

From- Sean Landriault
    Cornwall,ON

I think Davis/White will really show their talents this season with Virtue/Moir out for the Grand Prix Series and all the focus will be on them in the Ice Dance competitionts. Maybe Crone/Poirier can even move up some places and get some podiums in some Grand Prix Events?
    Always look out for the reigning World Junior Champions, this post Olympic year always reveals fresh faces who can skate as well or better than the experienced skaters!

OK