Coffee beans harvested from dung

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by orbitz, Apr 18, 2010.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/world/asia/18civetcoffee.html?pagewanted=1&hpw

Ok, who in the heck was the first person that saw coffeebean in a civet's dung and decided to harvest it and then brew it into coffee for human consumption? Who thinks of stuffs like that? :scream:

2. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Makes me glad I'm a tea lover.

3. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I heard this is really expensive stuff too. No thanks, I will drink day old coffee when desperate as I usually am on Sunday morning, husband is gone and he makes the best, but I will not have coffee with poop!

4. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Makes me glad I read Cleo Coyle's coffeehouse mystery series where the whole dung to deliciousness ick was discussed (or maybe, disgusted).

Moral of the story-Folger's might be cheap, but at least it's not full of sh*t.

slicekw and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Well, I've had shitty cups of coffee before, but this takes the cake.

6. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

There was a segment about it on Bizarre Foods. Very interesting. :lol:

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Good question about who was the first person to try this. LOL!

8. genegri

genegri Active Member

I am still not fazed! Would love to give it a try just for the heck of it. I recently got addicted to Vietnamese coffee, thanks to a friend who was born in Laos.

Somehow wine's making process disgusts me more. But that's another topic. :D

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wonder why there isn't a concern of E.Coli contamination when haversting the coffee bean this way.

10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I would imagine the roasting process probably kills off any cooties...

11. imperia

imperia New Member

i love more tea too, so no problem

12. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

There's cake too? :eek:

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to be sorry for admitting this, but I'm a die-hard coffee ADDICT. I heard about this after seeing The Bucket List where they discuss it. (Yes, I know there's something really wrong with me when I see coffee poop and think, ummmm, I MUST try that! :lol: )

It's pretty good, but not as good as the price suggests. And there's not really an aftertaste either, but, it doesn't IMO have as much strong, coffee tasting goodness as a nice dark Kenyan roast. Though I'd rather drink the indiluted civet droppings (or tea, same diff to me :p ) than EVER touch Folger's. Folger's is NASTY. :yikes:

We eat all sorts of disgusting things. Have you seen what's on the menu at Kentucky Fried Chicken lately?

14. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

A friend says she's seen civet coffee for $50 a cup here in SF. I would have huuuge problems spending that much on a cup of any liquid instead of using the money for a better cause.

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Okay, if you've never read Dave Barry's "decaf Poopocino" essay -- written about the very "weasel doo doo" coffee this thread celebrates, you ought to do so.

http://www.davebarry.com/gg/decaf.htm

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Sure we put a lot of stuffs into out mouths with names that we can't pronounce but as far as I know, not one of of those unpronounceable things has come from animal's poop ... although the chance of one eating a McDonald hamburger with mice's poop in it is good :lol:.

You seriously have to consider how did someone figure out that coffee bean from civet's poop makes great tasting coffee. Did a civit accidentally poop into his coffee one day? Did he suddenly notice how beautiful these poop encrusted beans looked on the forest floor that he had to pick it up, dusted the poop off the beans and then ... gulp ... tasted them?