Coca-Cola taps Kwan, Lysacek to serve as Sochi Olympic Ambassadors of Active Living

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Press release: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fo...ames-with-coca-cola-on-iceand-snow-2013-06-12
    (Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker were part of Coca-Cola's "Six-Pack" advertising campaign leading up the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, and it didn't work out for them. At least the 'Kween' doesn't have to worry... or does she? ;))

ETA that Ted Ligety and Amy Purdy are also part of "Team Kellogg's" with Meryl Davis & Charlie White and Kristi Yamaguchi - GSD thread from February: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Kellogg-s%99-Team-USA-Athletes-for-Sochi-2014

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Love to see Olympic sponsors supporting figure skaters, and I always try to give the sponsors some positive feedback on twitter or facebook. The sport can use all the sponsors it can get - and nice for Michelle and Evan!

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Two Coca-Cola related photos tweeted by Lysacek today:

"I'm so proud to have been selected as a member of the @CocaCola family of Olympic athletes. #Sochi #2014" http://say.ly/Hwl61U9 (group of 4 chosen athletes)

"Had a blast hanging with my friend Michelle Kwan in Boston for the @CocaCola 2014 Sochi Olympic promo shoot." http://say.ly/suT61Ui

ETA Amy Purdy's ( @AmyPurdyGurl ) tweet and photo with the Kween: "I've been hanging out with this chick a lot lately! Me and Michelle Kwan! So grateful for the sponsors…"
    http://instagram.com/p/abcN2wpiLR/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. samiller

samiller New Member

Thanks, Sylvia, for this post. Great news.

5. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of the U.S. population assumes Michelle Kwan won an Olympic gold medal. . . ;)

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

About 105%, and that's net of the people who know she didn't.

7. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

You're so clever ;) :)

8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

WHAT! You're saying she didn't???? :mad: What's the matter with you! I'll just pretend you didn't say that blasphemous statement.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Kween reigns supreme!

10. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

You know, this kind of reminds me a little of former Australian Test cricket Captain Mark Taylor on the Fujitsu air conditioner ads. It always makes me wonder how many kids nowadays actually know who he was and what he was famous for originally, rather than just the commentator on Channel 9 and the Fujitsu ad guy.

I imagine there are going to be plenty of young figure skating fans looking at the vignettes or the cans and going, "Who's she? Who's he?" Maybe not Lysacek so much, but we're now approaching a time when some of the fans wouldn't even have been born when Kwan was at the top.

11. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Wonderful news about the Sochi Olympic Ambassadors. Thanks, Sylvia! Congratulations to Michelle, Ted, Evan and Amy! :respec:

12. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

How Coca Cola is involved in "Active Living" and the Olympics sponsorships is appalling. There's nothing healthy about Coca Cola! Might as well have McDonalds.

13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

That may be so, but my mom swears it saved her life after my dad passed away. She hadn't eaten for days, was overwrought, and had a minor stroke that affected her eyesight for a short time. She swore the Coca Cola my brother forced down her saved her life. It may have. cOKe is OK by me.

And lots of folks I know drink an occasional Coke so they can get through their day. They're all extremely active people. I think the phrase "Active Living" implies healthy living, and that's where there is a disconnect.

O-

14. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

At least at McDonalds you can actually get food with redeeming nutritional value. Even Coke's bottled water is just filtered tap water and the rest is either sugar water, or "Better" Living Through Chemistry. (Diet soda scares me.)

15. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

IfindthatthecaffeineandsugarinCocaColahelpmetotypefasterandfasterandfaster...

16. OliviaPug

Any carbonated drink, including carbonated water like Perrier, is believed to lower calcium levels in the body and weaken bones.

O-

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, even sans Olympic gold, she's still Goddess of the Universe. :D

18. Angelskates

There's nothing healthy about that, athlete or otherwise. There's no implication that active living means healthy living to Coca Cola, they state outright, "Members of the Coca-Cola "Four Pack" also will serve as "Ambassadors of Active Living" to encourage and inspire fans to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles." :(

19. OliviaPug

You totally missed my point. I never said "active" = "healthy." I said that many active people I know drink a Coke from time to time to get through their extremely busy and active lives. Others drink coffee, which I find equally unhealthy and don't drink either, but everyone has to do what they have to do to make it through.

You are talking about "healthy" not "active." There is nothing about Coke that suggests it can't be a part of an active lifestyle. I am not equating healthy with active, but it seems you are.

O-

20. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Yeah well I don't like Coke because in Australia they're fighting a national 10 cent per bottle recycling program - fighting it in the courts with $billions behind them. Meanwhile all their plastic bottles end up in landfills or the stomachs of wild life and seabirds killing them. :angryfire

Coke = :EVILLE:

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  21. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Plastic bottles only end up in landfill or the stomachs of wildlife if the people who drank the Coke don't put them in the recycling bin. It's not Coke's responsibility that some of the people who drink their product are too stupid to do that.

:confused:

22. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

People are lazy and stupid generally when it comes to trash I find, but give them $ incentive and they're more likely to do the right thing. Also a bottles for $ recycling system gives a huge boost to homeless and very poor people. In cities ranging from Delhi to Vancouver the hard up make extra $ by collecting all the empties and taking them to recycling depots.
    And whether it's Coke's responsibility or not why would they spend millions (or whatever) in legal costs to prevent the establishment of a recycling program that has proven to be of benefit at many levels in many countries.
    A $ for recycling program will help address the problem, as has been proven in other countries. Do you think that things should just go on as they are with nothing being done to try to improve the situation?

23. Angelskates

I didn't miss the point, and I am most certainly not equating healthy with active. Coca cola is. They're marketing ""Ambassadors of Active Living" to encourage and inspire fans to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles." And sadly, the people they're choosing are respected, successful athletes...and those athletes have agreed to promote Coke as exactly that, which IMO is encouraging people to drink Coke and make them believe that it is needed to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles. I think it's appalling, dishonest marketing, it's been around forever and I hate it. I hate it even more when it's athletes. I think it's terrible that athletes would agree to it. Coke is saying athletes = active = healthy = Coke. It's BS. And these respected athletes (or former athletes) are agreeing to market it that way, when there is nothing healthy about Coke.

24. Angelskates

You forgot Scouts and Brownies - they actually rely on the money for recycling for a some of their funding! (Or at least the did when I did it, and my nephew still collects now for Scouts).

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kwan lost the OGM twice yet still earned more money than the two girls who beat her. What did that say about the value of the OGM?

Absolutely. The acidity of the carbonated drinks causes calcium to be drained from the bones into the blood to even the pH level in the blood.

And then also, the sugar (or the aspartame) is even more :eville:

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I wish that Nestle, Coca-Cola and other junk would not be endorsed in such hackneyed, contrived campaigns. How about endorsing them for tasting good instead? These products have nothing to do with health or active living. That is an outright lie, and Kwan and Lysacek deserve to be mocked for participating.

27. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

The general public will think Kwan is still competing.

28. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I stopped drinking carbonated drinks and lost 10 pounds.

29. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Just goes to show how extraordinary MK was. There is no other non-OGM who has been graced with the kind of love and wealth that Michelle has. It was her, only Michelle Kwan, that made OGM look like nothing but another medal.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I stopped drinking them and didn't lose an ounce. I drink water, on occasion milk. That's it. But I never drank sodas excessively, so cutting them did nothing.