Coaching Changes

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by eurodance2001, Apr 10, 2012.

1. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Whom would you like to see change coaches, to whom and why??

Davis/White: I don't think this training environment is sustainable for them for the next 2 years; they need someone to make them branch out on an emotional level and draw you in like V/M do. I wish Krylova was available but she's stacked.. Not Tarasova or Linichuk or Dubova.. Perhaps Klimova/Ponomarenko...

Abbott and Czisny: Both are head cases that bombed Worlds; or at the very least under performed. They need to get their mental focus together.. They have the goods technically.. If only Carlo Fassi were still alive, he could mind game them into winning championships.. Perhaps Jutta Muller! She made Kat the strongest mind competitor there was despite others having more talent and technical content..

Denny and Coughlin: Dalilah is missing the finishing touch with all of her teams.. Too bad Moskvina is no longer coaching in the USA...

I stuck to some top US competitors but this is open to any skater, any country.. Whom do you think??

2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Abbott and Czisny are perfectly fine where they are. Their problems are not in the coaching situation.

The other person who needs a coaching change is Ksenia Makarova IMO.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  3. eurodance2001

Disagree about Abbott and Czisny but that's ok!

Completely agree about Ksenia! She has so much potential..

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Any chance this thread title could be modified to "Coaching Changes You'd Like to See Happen"? :)

5. eurodance2001

Yes.. can I do that since I started this thread or does a mod have to do that?

6. Sylvia

We can only change our own thread titles for the first 5 minutes; a mod. would have to do it now. I recommend sending a PM request to one of them.

7. valyrian

valyrian New Member

I dearly hope Brandon Mroz changes coaches. This season was unfortunate, to say the least..

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I hope so too, but if he leaves, imagine how bad that will make Tom Z look. Max Aaron will be his only top skater left! Seriously so many of his students have left him - Flatt, Zawadzki, Farris, Gilles all in the past year, Abbott and Dinh in years previous. Not that I blame them at all, but ouch for Tom.

9. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

^ I personally want Max Aaron to leave him. He needs to explore his artistic side and I don't think that can be done under Tom Z.

10. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Let's rescue them all! ;)

11. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Coaching musical chairs! :encore:

12. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

A Society for the Prevention of Cruel Coaching of Skaters? :p

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Abbott and Csizny will be the same no matter who their coaches are. Actually, I think they could be worse without Yuka and Jason's calming influences.

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Not sure Brandon Mroz's focus should be on how bad he might make his coach look if he leaves. . . I mean, yeah, ouch for Zakrajshoweveryouspellit, but if skaters aren't getting what they need from him, then he'd better be prepared for them to go elsewhere.

15. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

As much as I like her, I too am not sure if the partnership with Rukavitsin works out for her. It was a great effort to start working on the 3-Lutz recently (again?). However, I don't think it was a good strategy to include a jump element she just started to work on as a first element in the LP of the most important championship of the whole year. :confused:

It would have been great in preparation for next year, but in Nizza I felt it was like making a cross over her first jump. :duh:

I would love to see Kudriavtsev to work with her on jumps, but than he is Moscovite and Ksenia trains in Moscow. :(

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

Competitively speaking I haven't found Abbott to be any better or worse now than when he was with Tom Z

17. pinky166

He's definitely MUCH improved artistically since leaving Tom. But in terms of competitive nerves? More of the same.

18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I know skating is a subjective sport, and I've defended Morozov and Leonova in the past, but that LP she did at Worlds was a real "what were they thinking?" moment for me. I don't think I have ever seen a worse program either for performance or choreography, and that includes the classic meltdowns.

She can do all of the jumps quite well, and I did like her voidy witch program last season, but when did he put that program together, the day before? And why on earth would he chose that music for her or let her go out and perform it in public?

19. pinky166

I agree. Farris was not really artistic (well, moreso than Aaron, but that's not saying much) under Tom Z., in fact, he was kind of gawky and awkward, and look at him now. I had no idea he had it in him to be so artistic but Damon and Christy really did a good job bringing it out of him, and this season was the first time I felt his programs were choreographed to cater to his strengths, and the result was fantastic. I think Aaron could be capable of a similar transformation if he leaves Tom Z, his skating is very smooth and I think he could definitely improve his artistry a lot if he went to a coach who wasn't so solely focused on jumps.

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Maia and Alex Shibutani need to get out of Canton. It's too crowded there and they're not getting the attention they deserve. Plus, they need better choreography.

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to count teams currently in Canton.

D/W
    S/S
    V/M
    T/S
    R/Z (according to the Russian thread)
    Khoklova/??
    who am I missing?

22. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

There's a rumor that C/L may be going to Canton as well.

ETA: Chock/Bates are another current team.

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yes, Chock/Bates (their names together really crack me up, idk why...)
    I knew I forgot someone. I'm guessing the Marina/Igor currently have no junior teams?

24. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

There was that article from a couple of months ago where they said that they don't currently have any junior teams, but would love to have some (well, more teams in general).

25. Sylvia

Not right now AFAIK, but this is what I posted recently in the U.S. Ice Dance splits thread:
    "Not a split, but Brynn Carman, the former pair skater, listed herself today on IPS for dance with her coaches being Shpilband/Zoueva. She is 17 and 5'7" according to her IPS profile."

It was USFS' February 2012 SKATING magazine cover article in which Shpilband/Zoueva mentioned they would like to have more novice and junior teams.

26. pinky166

Where do you suggest they go then? Detroit? To Linchuk? Somehow I'm not sure it will make a difference...

27. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I agree. I just scratch my head when i see people placing so much responsibility on the coaches. In the case of Alissa, she even said herself that she just felt like she couldnt jump. That has absolutely nothing to do with Yuka or Jason. NOTHING!!! Mao in Vancouver... say what you want about Tarasova but Mao was cranking out clean axels like nobody's business. At the end of the day, she choked on her combo and her toeloop. NOTHING to do with Tarasova.

In my opinion, the coach is the cause of the issues only in few cases.

28. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

He's another skater who should have been medaling at the past couple worlds but choked... again... NOT a coach issue

29. pinky166

Yes, fore sure. But Jeremy under Tom idk if he should have been medaling at Worlds then, maybe in his last season with Tom, but until his 08-09 breakthrough, I don't think he was up to the level of being a World medalist even if he did deliver. His artistry has definitely improved under Yuka and Jason to the point where he is (should be) a medal contender for Worlds if he skates well. But in terms of delivering when it counts? Definitely not a coaching issue. That is a mental issue. All in his head.