Coaching change for Florent Amodio

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Agh, I almost beat you to post this! :lol:

Frankly when I read about this I wondered if it was April's fools again!

3. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, double post.

4. morqet

morqet Active Member

Article summary

- Amodio still has huge respect for Morozov, but he felt when he went to the US this year that it was no longer working
    - He has been working in Lyon for the last 3 weeks on his free skate to La Vie en Rose
    - He's temporarily working with Katia Krier (coach of Brian Joubert) says it has been working very well, having success even with quad toes
    - He knows he needs to find a new permanent coach, has had several meetings with Didier G. about it. He had almost come to an arrangement with Alexei Yagudin (has worked with him the last 2 summers) but believes that Morozov has scuppered that option.

I guess if he didn't go straight back to Bernard Glesser he'll be looking outside France, perhaps back to Switzerland after working with Lambiel earlier this summer? Whatever happens I'm glad he's moving and hope that he'll go back to producing wonderful programs like in his last Olympic season :cheer:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I just saw this linked elsewhere. I'm pleased that Amodio has finally left Morozov, who helped him become more consistent but also managed to make him consistently unappealing. OTOH, it can't be good for him to be going into an Olympic year with his coaching situation so unsettled... I hope he can find someone who'll help him realize his potential.

Does anyone know who his choreographer is for this season?

6. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

great, to see amodio skate to some great music like 'la vie en rose' and not another funny/sexy dance number.

hope he finds another coach in time; with pupils running away of morozov he should have time to take miki back :p just joking

7. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Quick translation of the main points:
    *he hasn't had a coach in 1 month
    *things were not working with Morozov anymore, so it is a "divorce"
    *it happened when he joined Morosov in the US. It was supposed to be in Ny, then he went to LA and realized after 3 days that things were not working anymore
    *he still has a lot of respect for Morozov
    *He came back to Lyon and created his own FP: La Vie en Rose by L Armstrong
    *He then joined the French team in Vaujany and worked with Katia Krier. She did a great job and Florent even did 4T
    *He had meetings with Didier Gaillaiguet and almost found a new coach: Alexei Yagudin!!! But he thinks that Morozov made sure the deal did not happen.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. morqet

morqet Active Member

He worked with Lambiel at the start of the summer on "program ideas", and then said he was going to finish off the programs with Morozov, but the article says he was only in the US for a very short time before deciding to leave, so I doubt Morozov will have done much more with him.

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I hope he gets settled in soon. I find it interesting that he was serious about Yags. I have only heard of Yags assisting other coaches, so I'm surprised that he would select him as a primary coach for the Olympic season.

10. aliona22

aliona22 Member

11. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

This is not a good time to change the coach, in my opinion. He should have done it latest in last summer.

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of Krier's students, they seem to have solid jumping technique and consistency so this should be a good move for him.

13. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

I say good riddance, but it's the worst time to change coach! He's such a beautiful skater, I would hate him to go to waste!

14. kirkbiggestfan

She almost has all the senior French men and women at the moment: Brian Joubert, Florent Amodio, Chafik Besseghier, Yretha Silete, Mae-Berenice Meite, Lena Marrocco?, Lenaelle Gilleron-Gory. She also coaches with Claude Peri, but it is very weird to see all these skaters in Paris at the same training center.

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I thought Chafik trained in Grenoble and Romain Ponsart was in Paris? Or is that out of date?

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

First one who came to mind was Candice Didier who improved a lot once she went to her, IMO. Didn't realize she has that many skaters these days. Must make for a busy day at the rink!

17. kirkbiggestfan

Ponsart is with Annick Dumont. I believe that Chafik moved to Paris this year. There has been a lot of changes lately and there will obviously be more changes in the near future since Brian and Florent's coaching situation is subject to change. Didier Gaillaguet pressured a lot of skaters to change coaches.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I must admit that's what I was wondering, if Didier forced him to go to a French coach. Although I certainly agree that getting away from Morozov was an excellent idea, as poor Florent's programs this year were just horrid.

19. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

Lambiel! :cheer: I agree with Zemgirl that Morozov made Florent unappealing. I think Lambiel should be a good influence on his skating.

Yes, but even though it is not the optimal time to change coaches, at least he did. IMHO, better late than never.

20. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Good luck to Florent in this new phase of his career.
    I can't deny that it's kind of surprising that Amodio considered Yagudin as coach since he has no experience as lead coach and is extremely busy in Russia.

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Are morozov and yagudin still close as to where morozov could convince yaguidn not to become a coach of amodio?!?

22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Not a French expert by any means, but the article linked earlier didn't mention any convincing, just that Morozov ensured this didn't happen (I think faire capoter means to capsize, i.e. turn things upside down). There are plenty of ways to do that without contacting the other coach.

23. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I barely read the thread but my reaction to the title only: :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: FINALLY!

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

True- they could stuff out there generally. This couldn't be worse though in timing and everything! He bombed at worlds in march! It's July almost august! What a delay!

25. unicorn

unicorn Member

I don't think Amodio was thinking ask Yagudin as a full time coach. Yagudin is not interested in coaching right now either. It's more like if he has Morozov as a coach, he also wanted to get some help from Yagudin. I think it's good it didn't work, the guy is dangerous, he can charm people. lol

26. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Hmm, I must be reading the wrong article because I don't see Yagudin's name mentioned anywhere in the material Sylvia linked here. I would be very surprised to know Yagudin even considered being a primary coach for an elite skater like Amodio. Never heard Yagudin mention any coach he would have assisted in recent years other than Morozov and he just sporadically helped some of Morozov's students improve their technique on the jumps.

27. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Yagudin or Morozov?? Or both? :D

28. Nours

Nours Active Member

The most hilarious thing in this article is : (short version) "Amodio is aiming for Olys bronze at least". What a "journalist".

29. unicorn

unicorn Member

Oops, forgot Morozov is dangerous too, :lol: I was thinking about Yagudin

30. morqet

morqet Active Member

It was in the article when it was first posted, it must be been edited to remove it since then.