Coach Kori Ade's move to Colorado with Jason Brown & Co. & Rohene Ward's comeback

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 15, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Article by Sarah Brannen: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130515&content_id=47601296&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:

2. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Rohene coming back? How Sandhuish of him!
    If he could compete for Puerto Rico, he'd make the olympics.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I want to know where Kori Ade gets her energy. I was a WRECK with a newborn (and I didn't have a toddler as well).

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Does anyone know whether he can compete for P.R.?

That would be amazing!

However, he'd have to make it via qualifying at Nebelhorn, I suppose?

5. RUKen

RUKen Guest

Yes, he would have to qualify at the Nebelhorn Trophy. I don't know what the citizenship rules are for federations based in locations that are not independent countries. (How can anyone be a citizen of Puerto Rico, distinct from being a U.S. citizen?)

6. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Rohene is the most talented US skater I have ever seen... I have seen him land quads on both directions. :eek:

Rohene Ward and Alexander Johnson for the Olympic squad.

7. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I have to admit I cracked up laughing at Jason's imagery of Rohene skating fabulously, jumping off the ice, pulling on his guards, then running around to stand at the boards for Jason, still in his costume. :lol:

Can't wait to see Rohene in action again!

Tease.

8. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I checked the wikipedia entry on the Puerto Rico Skating Federation. It has not been recognized by the Puerto Rico Olympic Committee, though it is a member of ISU. Puerto Rico cannot send a figure skater to the Winter Olympics. :(

9. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

I thought that being recognized by the Puerto Rican Olympic Committee was a requirement for them to become a member of the ISU.

10. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I don't get the idea from that article that Rohene would be skating for Puerto Rico. I assume he would stick with his original home club for the best chance to make it to Mids/Nationals?

11. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

All speculation with no basis. No where in the article did it mention skating for Puerto Rico.

12. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Yes, pure speculations. He tried to skate for PR in the past but hit major road blocs. Making it to Nationals would already be a huge accomplishment, since midwestern sectionals is always a blood bath. For someone who has not competed in years, it sounds even more surreal.

13. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I've been a big fan of Rohene since... well, really since 1998 when I saw him in a club show. While I am super-excited to see him competing again, I have to admit his competitive programs swing from "brilliant" to "put your hands in front of your eyes and hope it's over soon." And who knows if after this summer, Rohene will elect to try to get back to Nationals.

That said, I'm not so certain that Mids is as competitive as it used to be. At least not this year. Aaron, Ferris and Abbott (and for that matter Lysacek) will have byes right in to Nationals. The strongest up fron junior skater would be Moeller (IF he moves up to seniors, and given he finished 5th at Nationals in juniors, I don't expect he'd move up). That would leave last year's National Competitors (from mids) Alex Johnson, Jason Brown, Brandon Mroz, William Brewster, plus Rohene. In that scenario, it would seem Brewster would be the odd man out.

Plus there may be Senior B and/or GP assignments for Johnson, Mroz and Brown.

Way too soon to speculate in any case.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  14. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

For many, many athletes (most), especially older athletes like Rohene who have moved on to a lot of other facets than just elite competitive figure skating, the possibility of getting to the Olympics or even getting to Nationals isn't what it's really about. It's about have a goal, doing the work, and enjoying the training and competing process. If greater things come, great, but I would suspect that the main goal here is just getting out to compete in the Broadmoor Open, simple as that.

Garden Kitty, alilou, Sylvia and 3 others like this.
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Sarah Brannen expands on her earlier article about Rohene Ward returning to competition this summer: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130521&content_id=48189698&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt: