Coach Brian Orser and Yu-Na Kim part ways

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Whaaaaaaaat? Please somebody translate!
    What a day for announcing changes!

3. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

Best of luck to them.

4. Capella

Capella Guest

Wow! Google translation is really wacky. I read it like she dumped Brian without warning. Can't wait for a good translation.

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Wow! Whaaaatt??

6. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

The basics of it are that Yu-Na's mother went to Toronto to tell Orser and Tracy Wilson that they would not be continuing, and Orser stated that it was a sudden and pretty much unexplained split. She will continue using David Wilson for choreo, however. Orser also made a couple of nice remarks about how it was an honor to coach an athlete like Yu-Na. Seems like nobody expected this to happen, and considering the situation Orser really was a class act.

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Seriously, now this one is a surprise! Too far away?

8. diskates

diskates New Member

Thats really surprising to me. Somebody please translate!!!

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Can Joannie go to Brian, now?

10. bek

bek Guest

I'm wondering if it means that Yu-na's essentially going to retire.

11. Moxie

Moxie New Member

Oh please let this article be wrong. I hope a native speaker translates this soon. I keep reading about "bra slang". Babble translation indeed...

12. love skating

love skating Clueless American

What the heck is going on today? I checked the calendar and it's not April 1!

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

That is too bad. Orser is a great coach. Best of luck to both.

14. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Orser is always a class act.

Do they really think they can find someone better? Orser took her to the very top, and they always seemed to have a great relationship.

15. diskates

diskates New Member

Thats what I'm wondering too...

Or maybe she wants to train closer to home?

16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I agree that the Google translation is terrible. Is it saying that David Wilson is going to be her new coach??? Or was he just her "coach" for the ice show they just did in Korea?

17. bek

bek Guest

Maybe its not about finding someone better. Maybe Yu-na doesn't like living and training so far from home. I remember reading an article where her Dad talked about how difficult it was. Weird that it was the mother and not her. Plus it seems to me like Camp Orser is getting awfully crowded.

18. jaws12345

jaws12345 Banned Member

Hey hey, let's not jump to any conclusions without having any information about the circumstances.

19. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

My jaw is dropping open for the 2nd time today - Wow!

Perhaps since she is not competing this year, they saw no need for a coach like Brian?

Guess he will have more time for Christina and Adam now.

20. Moxie

Moxie New Member

Wow, what skaters has he picked up this year?

21. ainouta

Hmm, here's a rough translation by me...

"Figure skating queen" Kim Yu-Na (20) has split from Brian Orser, her coach since 2007.

Brian Orser's representatives from IMG New York published a press release stating "Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson received a termination notice from Yu-Na Kim's mother, Park Mi-Hee" on the 24th.

Park, who is both Kim's mother and a representative of her management company All That Sports, met with Orser and Wilson on the 2nd to inform them of Kim's decision to separate. Orser stated that the statement did not inform him of the reasons behind the split, nor was it expected in any way.

"It has been my honor to be able to work with an athlete of Yu-Na's caliber. I hope that she will continue to improve as a skater," stated Orser.

Under the tutelage of Orser, Kim has achieved great success, including her gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Rumors regarding their separation have only surfaced very recently.

Orser had served as the head coach of each of Kim's ice shows until her most recent one, "All That Skate Summer Ice Show". Instead, choreographer David Wilson served in that capacity.

It appears that Kim will continue to work with David Wilson. She is currently in Toronto, working to choreograph programs for the new season with him.

---

So it doesn't actually tell us much as to why this happened. Camp Orser IS a lot more crowded than it was before, but she managed just fine this past season. The Cricket Club has Gao, Rippon, Kwak, who else?

22. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I take it as an indication that she's probably going to retire soon, too. Or, maybe, she wants to take a more relaxed approach to competing, so why endure the hassle of training all the way in Canada when she can do it closer to home? This way, Yu-Na can get on with university and pursue other interests while training, too.

23. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

If this is indeed true, the most likely explanation is that Yu-Na is going pro. And if she is going pro, it makes sense that most of her ice shows and TV appearances and such will be in Korea. She's a HUGE star there, whereas there's not much for her to do in North America except Stars On Ice and an occasional Disson show. There wouldn't be much of a reason for Yu-Na to train here anymore.

Now, if Yu-Na intends to remain eligible and compete, then her decision doesn't make much sense. Who would she train with in Korea? Wasn't the lack of coaches there the reason she went with Briahn in the first place?

And yes, I hope Joannie or Cynthia is already on the phone with Brian right now as we speak.

24. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

What was Tracy Wilson doing as a part of YuNa's team?

If Joannie continues, I'd LOVE to see her with Brian.

25. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

I don't know about retirement. Wilson is almost done with her LP during his recent interview.

WOW. I'm totally shocked. :eek:

26. ainouta

If I recall correctly, I think she worked with her mostly on steps. On one of the ESPN telecasts from 2008, Paul Wylie commented on the fact that Tracy was working with Yu-Na at the Cricket Club during Yu-Na's COR free skate (I think?)

27. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

wow. I don't get surprised often but this sure did the trick!
    I wonder is she is going to retire. :(

jtpc and (deleted member) like this.
  28. amaro

amaro Active Member

Tracy has been working with Yuna on her general skating skills.

There wasn't any official announcement from Yuna's side, which I am certain will follow soon.

29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think she is most definitely retiring!

30. Moxie

Moxie New Member

Thanks for the translation, Ainouta!
    Wow, I am still speechless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.