coach and choreographer fee's

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by allyx82, Sep 2, 2010.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Frank apparently does also. I happened to catch Manleywoman's podcast interview with FC on itune, and Frank said he enjoyed teaching all level of skaters.

2. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

A high level skater would have income from at least 3 sources.
    1) ice shows
    2) prize money
    3) endorsement deals

Likewise, there are 4 parties who might like a cut:
    1) agent
    2) coach
    3) choreographer
    4) federation

I don't know which party gets a cut of what income. Maybe the federation gets a cut of prize money and ice shows. Maybe the coach gets a cut of endorsements and prize money. It also may vary from country to country. Very confusing. :confused:

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It depends on how that coach and that rink tend to run things.

In the US, and I think Canada as well, it's more common for skaters to pay the coach for one-on-one attention in 20- or 30-minute increments (private lessons) and then to practice the rest of the time without direct supervision. The coach may or may not be on the ice at the same time with a different student.

4. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

The fees and how they're paid can be different. If we're talking about elite coaches, then they spend anywhere from 6-10 hours a day at the rink. They might have scheduled time with skaters (skater x gets daily lessons from 2pm-4pm; skater y gets daily 11am-1:30pm) or they spend half a lesson with one skater and then move on to another skater if they have multiple skaters on the ice. Whatever the setup, they charge for the time they actually spend working with a skater. At least that's been my experience in the US.

Keep in mind too, that skaters could work with multiple coaches. While there's a main coach, they could also have a stroking/edge coach, pairs and dance teams sometimes work with spin and lift coaches. They also charge an hourly rate, based on how much time they work with a skater or team.

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

This depends on the country, and sometimes, on where the coach is from.

In the US in general, skaters skate their lesson with their coach, and then are expected to practice on their own, without coaching supervision. In Russia, and with many of the Russian coaches based in the US, skaters skate their lesson with their coach, and then are expected to practice on the ice only when their coach is there. During that practice time, the coach is giving lessons to other students, but he's also supervising the practice of all of his skaters who are on the ice.

6. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

But in a thread about coach and choreographer fees I think it's misleading to say Nichol takes $10.000 when the reality at least 50% of that total is because **you** choose her to make your program and wanted her to come to Italy to do it. The skater ( or their federation/sponsors ) doesn't *have* to pay that.

I'd rather know what she charged per hour than how much it costs one skater in Europe in total. I think that would paint a more accurate picture of her fees.

7. jlai

jlai Title-less

I seem to recall some mention of Orser's adult skater commitments back in 2009 nationals.

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Didn't he miss a major event with Yuna because he had told some adults he would take them to skate a canal (I can't think what it's name is- it's famous) before he coached her.

9. fan

fan Well-Known Member

i know that orser does at least 1 group class with adult skaters each week.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Skittl1321 - Orser didn't accompany Adam Rippon to 2009 U.S. Nationals because he had made a prior commitment to take his group of adult skaters to skate on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. I've heard that Orser does give lessons to lower level skaters even though he can't always travel with them to all of their competitions due to his international skaters' schedules.

:cool:

11. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

He taught at Lake Placid's (NY) Adult Week a few years ago. A skater in my area took a lesson from him. :)

12. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Under Rule 102, the ISU allows a skater's federation to keep no more than 10% of earnings from the non-ISU sanctioned activities that require federation approval. They specifically list "appearances, endorsements and exhibition performances" but I assume this is meant to include shows and tours. I wonder if all federations pretty much take the max 10%.

As for prize money from ISU-sanctioned events, the regulation does not say anything about the skater's federation taking a percentage, so it is neither permitted nor prohibited, nor is there an ISU limit on what share a federation can keep.

Rule 136 requires the host federation to pay out all of the prize money for a particular event in the amounts specified in the annual Communication from the Council. It doesn't say if they pay it to the skater or the federation or, if the latter, whether the federation can keep any.

I recall Ilia Kulik avoided nonsanctioned event for a year or more after Nagano, but finally decided to give up his eligibility in part because, as an eligible skater, he was keeping only about 30% of what he earned. The Russian government kept 30% (income taxes?). Another 30% and 10% went to the coach and the federation, but I forget which got which share. By going pro and going coachless, he more than doubled the portion of his income he was retaining.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  13. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Uhm. I vaguely remember some discussion about LN and 10,000 $. But I can't say what Kostner precisely stated, because I didn't pay attention.

But I highly doubt LN has ever been coming to Italy. I never heard of such thing as LN being in Italy to coreograph Kostner (I've heard though about Kostner flying to her).
    And when did Kostner ever trained in Italy? Right before worlds last season, when she ended up splitting with Carroll. A few brief occasions during summers (not every summer). And?
    I think that when Kostner was based in Germany, she hardly ever visited Italy for skating.

14. allyx82

allyx82 New Member

but say they have 7 skater and work with them three hours a week..

that 110 x 3 x 7 = 2310 / 2 for taxes that's still 1155 and a month it's

$4620..

15. allyx82

allyx82 New Member

does anyone know choreographer fees ?

16. southernskater

southernskater New Member

I've never worked with one but I'm guessing they would be similar to coaches fees. They are some coaches at my rink that just do choreography and they are paid just like a normal coach and my rink isn't a big training center either I think its a fabulous place ;) but its just a normal rink in Small Town, USA

17. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

Roughly ten years ago I read somewhere a range of $6,000 to $15,000 for choreography by a prominent choreographer. I don't remember where I saw the information, but at the time I considered it reliable. I recall thinking that it was a wide range, so probably $6,000 was for a (senior) singles short program and $15,000 was for a pairs free skate. But that was just my speculation.