coach and choreographer fee's

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by allyx82, Sep 2, 2010.

1. allyx82

allyx82 New Member

I was reading in one of the threads about Brian Orser fee

“I’m the lowest paid coach at this level in the history of figure skating...I get $110 an hour"

And made me think

A) I missed that bus ( being a figure skating coach)

B) How much do the other coaches make?

C) what about Choreographer? Johnny Weir has said David Wilson is
    expensive what does he cost?

D) How do Skaters pay for coach and choreography does their country they Skate
    for help pay for this because if you add that up its alot.. I know some have sponsors but that is still alot to come up with...

2. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

I can only speak for the US, but based on things posted here over the years, it does seem pretty uniform that the elite coaches do charge in the lower $100's per hour. Usfs has some funding options available such as envelope money, memorial fund and other funds that can be awarded. For qualified skaters, this money helps but doesn't put much of a dent in the total expenses. Most skaters work and families and/or supporters help.

3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

If the skater is represented by an agency, does the agency get a fee? Or does the agency only get a fee is thay land an endorsement deal or some money making venture? I think Alissa's agency gets her modeling assignments.

Over at GoldenSkate, they were kicking around this theory that when Mrs. Park started her agency, she expected Brian to sign up when his current contract expired. And then she expected him to sign up his higher profile students like Adam and Christina. When he did not do this, it caused friction.
    Pure speculation, but it makes as much sense as any theory I've heard.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I think for the top echelon skaters in Russia, training expenses including coaching fee are covered by the federation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Korean federation does not have set criteria in awarding financial assistance and normally lacks enough budget to do so anyway. Last year, KSU awarded Yu-Na about $80,000 US out of whim, but she hardly needed any assistance in that area. KSU could have spent that money to fund promising juniors, just as Kim has been doing out of her own pocket, but they were never known for their foresight.:rolleyes:

5. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

^ and ^^, so how much is it? :D

6. JerseySlore

How much is what?:confused:

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

In the US at least, many coaches have to pay the rink where they work a commission, so there goes part of that money. Then they have to buy their own medical and etc. insurance, so there's that - and that alone in the US is considerable. So that $100 per hour isn't quite as shiny as it seems. They also don't get things like paid time off, paid vacation, paid sick days, so what they make when on the ice needs to cover all that for them.

And coaches at different levels, and in different regions of the US, do charge differently. In the US, though, at the elite east coast rinks, Brian's fee for an elite level coach would be pretty much in the ball park. Some are higher, but many are right in that range. But for an OGM coach, he's sort of the elite of the elite, and he should be able to charge higher, if he wants to. But I'd imagine he doesn't want to. And that's actually kind of nice on his part.

In some foreign countries, coaches aren't paid by the hour/lesson at all. Instead, a skater pays a flat fee each year, which covers everything re: the coaching. So it's more like the coach is on salary/retainer, rather than being paid hourly.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider in the US is that self employment taxes are almost 50% (at least they were for me...) so the "hourly rate" is considerably lower than if a company were paying that.

However, I've found even lower level coaches charge (what I think are) high rates especially because you still have to pay for the ice! - the local coaches at my (mall rink) range from $30-$70 per hour, with a 30 minute lesson being the norm,I think that the $30 rate is completely reasonable, but without students at qualifying competition, $70 seems a bit high...

From what I hear around though it seems the coaches always give breaks to their best students. Or they will carpool with parents or share a hotel room at nationals. They really seem to not want to gouge their students.

Toyota Sports Center posts their instructors rates (and it looks like a 20 minute lesson is the norm) Frank Carrol charges $135/hr.
    http://www.toyotasportscenter.com/page/show/32459-instructor-bios

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  9. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Coach and choreographer fee!!!
    :TT1:, Morozov, Manon Perron, Lori Nichol, Tom Dickson, Sandra Bezic, Shae-Lynn Bourne, etc. :D

10. madm

madm Active Member

11. Mafke

Mafke New Member

That certainly makes sense. When I first heard of Kim's new agency, I assumed it would be a pocket agency devoted to her, but apparently that wasn't the idea.

From my experience with Asians in general, she might have expected him to sign up without ever bringing up the subject herself and taken his resigning with IMG as a personal affront....

I think that the split was probably caused by a cascade of minor cultural, language missteps and misunderstandings that kept gaining momentum (not helped by not having a qualified interpreter at important junctures).

12. senorita

senorita New Member

Carolina Costner had said that Nichol takes 10.000$ for each visit in Italy to make her program.

13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Truly, 110/ hour is not that much. I cannot speak for skating fees, but can speak for private music lesson fees for the pros from the top teachers- they run from 100 to 200 American dollars an hour. And considering the fluidity- taxes- cancellations etc- the teachers are certainly not super- rich.

14. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

\

It certainly seems so.

15. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

16. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I don't think that's an accurate statement. Have no idea of Nichol's billing but assuming the $10.000 is correct I think that obviously includes flights to Italy, lodging and perhaps a daily expense account for meals. Then add in Nichol's hourly fee for however many hours they work together. And if Nichol did the music search those costs will be added in as well I would think.

So Nichol isn't pocketing $10.000. She is getting whatever she charges per hour and all her travel/accomodations/meals are paid for by the skater/federation/whoever pays the bill.

It'd be more accurate to say she gets $200 an hour (random amount chosen) and that if you want her to come and make the program in your hometown that you have to cover all the travel and accomodation costs of getting her over there.

17. Judy

Judy New Member

I can see a program by Nichol being a total of $10K not $10K a visit. I thought I had read that somewhere too.

18. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Frankly I can't see a program by Nichol being worth ten dollars let alone 1$0,000.

19. lakewood

lakewood New Member

My understanding is that YuNa's 3 sponsors (KB Bank, Hyundai, Nike Korea) contracted with YuNa but a part of the sponsor money go to KSU. So, actually, KSU receives far more money than it gives to YuNa. And, she gives 30% of her prize money and unknown % of ice show income.

BTW, do skaters of other country also give part of prize money and show income to thier federation? I read that Japanese skaters give some percentage of the show income to JSF, but never read about US and Canada skaters.

20. diskates

diskates New Member

I wonder how much Mishin gets. They always talk about how poor Plushy's family is and how Mishin had to pay his rent in St. Petersburg.

21. JerseySlore

True. IMO that's why figure skating officials want to "divorce" KSU and establish Korean figure skating federation, to have all the money to themselves.

I'm not sure individual skaters pay percentage of their appearance fees to respective federation. But AFAIK any show that casts amateur skaters must be sanctioned by local federation, so there could be some form of transaction between the organizer and federation.

22. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

well I think she's created some of the most brilliant and elegant programs in the history of figure skating.

23. Skittl1321

Which is probably why all David Wilson's skaters go spend a few weeks in Canada- if you have to pay for all the travel costs, you might as well be the one who gets to travel.

(re: Frank Carrol) Ah- that makes sense. I wonder if he would take low level clients at that dollar amount, or if it's just a formality that he has to list something.

24. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Coaches at Frank's level don't always take low level skaters. But some do - Brian Orser does. But what do you mean by "low level"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

25. southernskater

southernskater New Member

I've heard you have to audition for some coaches not like the high level coaches at the smallish rinks I've been at where if they have the spot and you have the $$ your Pre Alpha princess can take from the coach taking students to Nationals. How would the audition work? I've always wondered.

But I guess when you hit Orser and Carroll's level a juvie skater would be low level right?

26. Skittl1321

I guess my thought was just because he is clearly listed on the "instructor request form". Why would he be listed if he doesn't take students from that form? I just don't see Nagasu going and filling that out. Her "people" talked to him.

Obviously his elite skaters come from generally strong skaters who seek him out, and court him to coach them. But if he doesn't take "unknowns"- why would they even put him on the form for the rink? That's why I'm wondering if it's just a formality. Or maybe he does take pre-pre kids for lessons because they are willing to pay. You can't work with Olympians every moment of the day. And then you send them off to competitions with your "coaching team" and focus most of your effort on the big guys.

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I feel like Orser doesn't have any low level skaters. I mean, they aren't all Yuna's obviously, but most of his students/past students competed at national and international events.

28. allyx82

allyx82 New Member

So can someone clarify this for me :

if skater practices say 3 hours on ice is the coach there the whole time and get charged the 3 hours ?

and the coach is usually coaching more than one person at time right?

29. senorita

senorita New Member

Mishin took him in his team upon request of Plush's former coach(dont remember name, he has passed away)and trained him for free in his group until he started gaining money from competitions in 1997-1998.:) Now that he got on the Forbes list, I guess he can pay Mishin back for all these years:p

30. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

Sure, there might be additional costs counted in, but it doesn't change that fact, that the skaters still have to pay this amount... Sure, it doesn't all land in the coach's or choreographer's pocket, of course, but the price is there.

If someone asks Carolina how much she pays for her choreo to be made this is (or might be) an accurate answer.