CNN Heroes for 2012

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Dec 3, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about this tonight until I was seeing what was on about an hour and a half ago. Tried to get some sleep, it wasn't happening, so instead of tossing and turning...

Every year, CNN asks for their viewers around the World to nominate someone who is just an everyday ordinary person, who has stepped up and done something extraordinary. Those nominations are then paired down to 10 and CNN posts their Profiles at their website for everyone to vote for, w/the winner of all the winners (Which these people w/out a doubt are) being announced at a Gala Event, which was earlier tonight/last night.

To nominate a CNN Hero for 2013 and to see and learn more about the very worthy CNN Hero of 2012 and her organization and the other 9 Nominees and the Organizations they've started and helping people w/, just go over to...

CNN Heroes Homepage

The Lady who is the Hero for this year is beyond worthy and is fighting to help the Children of Nepal have a better future by providing a home for them while their Parent/Parents serve their respective Prison Sentence. You see, in Nepal, if a parent needs to go to Prison and there's no one they can trust to take care of their child, then that child also goes to Prison.

Now, thanks to The Butterfly Home this Lady founded, these children have a safe place to go to live and be safe. As well as receiving the education every Child should have access to regardless of their circumstances.

As I said, a very worthy Recipient of the Honour this year.

Their story and all of the stories are over there to not only watch and learn about, but if there's an Organization over there you really feel inspired by, there's also links to be able to give them a donation. The great thing though? From now until the New Year comes in at Midnight on December 31st, Google will be waiving their transaction fees for any donation made through the web site. That way, 100% of the donations will be going to the Respective Organizations. Also Subaru is matching the donations dollar for dollar up to $50,000.

So many of us have too much stuff we don't need. Wouldn't making a donation to one of these worthy causes be a great gift for someone this year for Christmas?

Just a thought. :) Anyway...Did anyone else watch?

It truly is amazing what one person can do, isn't it?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

What got me was Jessie Rees and her Joy Jars . We cried like babies at our house.
  3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

The same here and w/the lady from Columbia who works w/the girls and children in the slums. Her holding the little baby in the NICU...I make items for my local NICU, so that got to me for obvious reasons. Also Mary Cortani and her work w/the Service Dogs for the Service Men and Women.

I voted for her actually because I've seen what PTSD can do to a returned Afghanistan Veteran. Good friends of ours, their son Curtis was going to make the Cdn Army his career and then he got sent to Afghanistan. When he learned he would have to do a Second Tour, is when he left the Army. The first time he came home on leave after he got back, all he wanted to do was go up to their Hunting Camp. His Mom told us she had to lie to him about it being a mess from the last time a bunch of them were there and let her go and clean it first.

What she really was doing was making sure all of the guns were gone and at their place properly locked in the gun cabinet and there was no ammunition there. It was still Small Game Season and there could have been a weapon in the gun cabinet they have at the cabin to keep them there. Thankfully that wasn't a problem as they were all at the house, but at that time he was so lost in what he'd done and seen, they didn't know what he could do by himself up there.

Right now in Canada, Service Dogs for Vets w/PTSD is still not funded by Veterans Affairs or the Defense Ministry. There was a piece on W5 a couple of weeks ago (our 60 Minutes) about a program in Manitoba a guy has started and the fight he's had to get funding to help the Vets w/food and Veterarian bills. There's going to be a Committee meeting in Ottawa this month about what programs should be getting funding and both he and the Vets w/their new four legged buddies are going to be there to show that yes, this *does* work.

Then again, it's proven in the US and UK, so I have no idea why it's not being funded up here, but...*shrug*

As the guy who started this said during the piece, he's got one guy who was on five different medications and so out of it, he was thisclose to comitting Suicide. Now he's been teamed up w/his dog and not only is he doing awesomely, but he is off all those Meds and has started to repair the damage done to his relationships during the time he was on the edge.

How can that be a bad thing?

So yeah...This particular program is obviously close to me, as I've seen just what a returned Vet goes through and how it can affect the Family. I really hope our pairing PTSD Vets w/Service Dogs programs here in Canada get the funding they so badly need.
  4. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I have watched this show for the last 3 years. Love it. Dvr'd last night and can't wait to watch it.